Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Essential Tool List
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dogpilot's list and would pretty much carry everything there.

I think spares are as important as tools.

If you got the money, think about carrying:

Spare 1) fuel pump and filter
2) alternator and belt
3) water pump
4) spark plugs, rotor, dist cap, fuses
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for comfort: indoor/outdoor carpet to lay on under van
hikers head lamp
magnifying(for us old farts) safety glasses
gojo hand cleaner!!
blueridgedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only think I see missing is a couple of decent-ball peen hammers and a mallet.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshintulsa wrote:
its actually KNIPEX

Thx - is there a particular model?

http://www.knipex.com/
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... i just saw these:
http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-319719-p874.aspx

and here is a pack of 3, but you can see them individually lower down on the page: http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-320121-sp3cob.aspx

They arent cheap, and im not sure where you can get them besides tool trucks, but they are high quality and very functional.

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it hasn't already been mentioned...for syncro owners: 30mm socket. I had an axle nut come loose in Baja. While troubleshooting I tried to get an adjustable wrench on it just to check as my biggest socket was a 29mm. Couldn't do it. Ended up having to find a shop. They were able to torque the nut for me for no charge but I'll never be off road without the ability to tighten that nut again!!

Oh ya, Coolant temp sensor too! See my post here....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371981&start=220
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
camp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget a set of points, and extra plug and fan belt...
I always keep the old set of points and a couple of plugs in the bottom of my toolbox... On cross country trips, I even carry a spair head... Never know when a seat or valve will let go on those old air cooled road work horses...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Knipex pliers look pretty slick.

A bit of Googling led me to Chadstoolbox, who sells a set of 3 for just $60.

Their better looking "Cobra" pliers, that sell for $80 for a set of three, appear to be the same as the Mac tools for half the price.

Check it out.

http://chadstoolbox.com/3x88knipex3pcalligatorset710and12.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link is from the Snap-On site. It lists all the tools needed for a Volkswagen Apprentice Mechanic. Total Snap-on price is over $5000, but ignore the price because their prices are of course over the top, but the list is interesting.

"This set was developed by our field research department in conjunction with Master Level Technicians from Volkswagen dealerships throughout the United States.
VWAS contains all the tools used by the entry level technician to service and repair Volkswagen vehicles.
Use the check list that follows to determine tool needs."

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&t...ir=catalog
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for posting that Snap-On list - most of it is std. stuff, but there are some specialty tools in there, which would be useful to put into a shorter list.

for example - A119B,Socket, Oil Pressure Sender Switch (for 1986 and earlier Ford, GM, and Chryslers) Socket, Oil Pressure Sender Switch (for 1986 and earlier Ford, GM, and Chryslers)

Stock #:A119B

what Vanagon is that for?

then there are T15 & T25 Torx sockets, etc.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:

what Vanagon is that for?

That list is for general VW mechanics. You will have to use some judgment as to what is not needed for Vanagons.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people actually don't understand what these tools are and what they are used for, so I found this handy glossary for them:

*DRILL PRESS:* A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted vertical stabilizer which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

*WIRE WHEEL:** * Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh shit...'

*ELECTRIC HAND DRILL:* Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

*SKILL SAW:* A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

*PLIERS:* Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

*BELT SANDER:* An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

*HACKSAW:* One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

*VISE-GRIPS:* Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

*WELDING GLOVES:* Heavy duty leather gloves used to prolong the conduction of intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

*OXYACETYLENE TORCH:* Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

*TABLE SAW:* A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

*HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK:* Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

*EIGHT-FOOT LONG YELLOW PINE 2X4:* Used for levering an automobile upward off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.

*E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR:* A tool ten times harder than any known drill bit that snaps neatly off in bolt holes thereby ending any possible future use.

*BAND SAW:* A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

*TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST:* A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

*CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 24-INCH SCREWDRIVER:* A very large pry bar that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle.

*AVIATION METAL SNIPS:* See hacksaw.

*PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER:* Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

*STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER:* A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws.

*PRY BAR:* A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

*HOSE CUTTER:* A tool used to make hoses too short.

*HAMMER:** * Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

*MECHANIC'S KNIFE:* Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines , refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

*DAMMIT TOOL:* Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'DAMMIT! ' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've upgrade my dammit tool...I got the newer God Dammit one. Works about the same as the older version!

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, the only tool you need is the one you don't have.
ccisco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: tools Reply with quote

Very Happy And for all Vanagon drivers for when the tools fail(not us,but the tool): A membership in AAA or other towing services!!!!
Charlie
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Many people actually don't understand what these tools are and what they are used for, so I found this handy glossary for them

Oh, look! It's Shecky Wallace!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to look at this is from the standpoint of what you can realistically do on the side of the road, given the various factors--parts availability, mechanical skill, weather, kids just wanting to have fun, wife just wanting to call the tow truck, you just wanting to get beamed up, etc.

The answer for me is, really, not a lot can be done other than simple electrical repairs, changing tires, maybe some coolant hoses, belts, and the like. So I keep the tool kit pretty simple. 3/8" socket set, screwdrivers, VOM, wire, connectors, allen wrenches, wire ties, JB Weld...

One thing that I'd carry is some radiator hose repair tape. I was stranded with a busted heater hose and tried to fix it, lying in the snow, with duct tape, electrical tape, etc. Wasn't going to happen. Never used that radiator hose tape but it's easy to carry (along with some heater hose, duh) and so it's on my list.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DP, I couldn't stop laughing!! Thanks, I really needed that today.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: essential tools.... Reply with quote

what is all this talk about hoses and coolant? i thought this was an aircooled vw website!!!! all you need is a spare rubber band to make the vw work!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I read the whole thread as I needed to and I didn't see this or I missed it.

Its something my father and just about every other man in my life has told me not to be without. A pair of panty hose. Yes and I packed white duty ones even when I have new belts.

I can't possibly carry all that is needed but on my 4000 mile shake down cruise I obtained my CAA plus membership weeks before. Thank goodness. I needed towing twice and because I had the plus I could be towed where I wanted to be. I always got taken to the vintage VW shops. My annual membership was paid for by the first tow in Louisville (ruptured fuel line, had all replaced) on the way SW. Then coming home I needed a tow back into Chattanooga. ( starter and something else I can't remember). I always had great service and healthy helpful attitudes. Both times happened on a Sunday afternoon so I was towed where I had to be and then I just cooked and slept there. Police were always aware of my presence.

Couldn't get the cell phone I bought in the States to work but I always found someone to help. One of the benefits of being of the female gender of course I've never been anything else but I think it is a positive. I have a somewhat mechanical aptitude and can do most basic things myself, but I'm not shy to ask for help.

I have a complete tool set of both inches and mm. Got it on sale before the trip and I'm using it all the time for little jobs. Its in like a briefcase and takes up little room. If I took all that it has in a tool box it would take up substantial space. I considered it good timing.

Anyhow on top of AAA gold, CAA plus, cell phone don't be forgetting your panty hose. Good for more than just belts too. Be creative. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: