Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Essential Tool List
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
I always like to keep a set of cheap hose pinch off pliers, the plastic ones, in the mobile tool kit. You can use the vice grips to do the same thing, but sometimes you also need the vise grips to do the job they were designed to do. Also the pinch off pliers wont damage hoses, but vice grips might.

Old 3/4 inch heater or Evap hose slipped over vice grips turn them into great , safe pinch off tools. On the road, wrap the jaws with 3 turns of electrical tape.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
foodeater wrote:
I always like to keep a set of cheap hose pinch off pliers, the plastic ones, in the mobile tool kit. You can use the vice grips to do the same thing, but sometimes you also need the vise grips to do the job they were designed to do. Also the pinch off pliers wont damage hoses, but vice grips might.

Old 3/4 inch heater or Evap hose slipped over vice grips turn them into great , safe pinch off tools. On the road, wrap the jaws with 3 turns of electrical tape.

That works, but you still cant use the vice grips as vice grips, while your using them as pinch off pliers
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
Abscate wrote:
foodeater wrote:

That works, but you still cant use the vice grips as vice grips, while your using them as pinch off pliers

Yeah, but you can loosen your fuel line nut with the grips, then wrap and pinch off your fuel line with the grips. Once the line is free, you plug it with a golf tee, a M6 screw wrapped in tape, a pencil, a clean stick, agar gum, or a kids smallest finger. (Protect skin with vaseline - Im not an animal...)

Smile

It is a good exercise to think about doing jobs with minimalist tools in any event, because one day you get caught in someone's car in this dilemma - even if it isn't yours.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

Assembling my tool kit, it is a surprisingly large amount of tools!

My Wife asks why bother? My Brother will just call for help.
But alas, my Brother is a sailer who mostly still maintains his boat and it's diesel engine and transmission. He knows his way around a tool box as the need arises.

What's in this box?
Screwdrivers....... #3, #2, #1 Phillips four different size and length flatheads.

Sockets.... 3/8 drive. 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 30mm, 1 1/16" deep for oil cooler nut, 1 13/16" for rear axle nut.
3/8 drive deep 10, 13, 17, 19mm
1/4 drice 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13mm
3/8 - 1/4 adapter
3/8 extensions
3/8 ratchet
1/4 ratchet

Wrenches.... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22mm

Vise grips..... needle nose, two flat

Pliers.... gas pliers, needle nose, channel lock, wire cutter

Ball Peen Hammer

Hack saw blade

1/2" Breaker Bar and deep 19mm socket for lug nuts

Dental pick

8mm triple square

Still a few items to slip in.......

All in all a kit that I wouldn't leave the house without, it makes me feel better that he has it driving an antique to Oregon in late Fall.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow some great thought went into that kit. Thanks.

I generally keep just a couple screwdrivers n pliers aboard full time. For big trips, I'll add a lot of tools from my shop into a satchel like that pictured. I've often tried to think of some way to mark the tools I like to bring such that I could just open each drawer in turn and grab any tool with a red dot for instance.

Nothing I've thought of would work as tools live a harsh life and no sticker or sharpie mark is going to last. Anybody think of a way to achieve this?

Doug

Plasti-dip the handles with different colors
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

Once, before a community "work day" I chose to mark several of my well-used tools (3/8" ratchet, crescent
wrench, water pump pliers, hammer) with a solid wrapping of RED electrical tape... The tape is still in place
over ten years later, although just recently starting to slip off some of the more commonly used tools...

YMMV... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

here's a couple things i carry on a longer trip. can track down no-start issues very quickly, no guess work.

the fuel injector activator and a couple of noids. can pinpoint so many FI issues in a matter of minutes. the kit is quite small and i carry a hank of FI hose in it too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and then my electrical diagnosis kit. top left is a Hall sensor tester; top right is just a simple long extension wire that i can run from the dash to the engine bay useful for truthing circuits; bottom left is the great test harness for powering the ECU, pump relays, and coil; and of course a meter.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

^^^ Sweet! Cool

I'll give you a dollar each for one of each...??? Wink
I just never get around to putting together a kit like this... Rolling Eyes Embarassed

- Dave

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

i might have to make you the Hall tester just to be neighborly...

www.thefixitworkshop.com
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

^^^ SCORE!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

No pressure... Wink

- Dave

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

In answering a question in the latest D.I.Y. thread it has gotten me thinking about what a newbie needs for tools, the basics tools and and then got my brain going down another road which I might post about.
So the search turned up this thread on Essential Tools so instead of starting another thread on tools I just wanted to post this wrench set from Harbor Freight if the newbie does not have a wrench set yet.

Basic Open/Closed Wrench Set with the sizes you actually have a need for, (except that 16mm-wth do you need that size?)

8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm,
16mm, 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm

$21.99 Harbor Freight Sku #68807.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

Mark Ward just carries a 13 mm wrench
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

As I rebuild a 2.1 away from my shop, my travel essential tool kit is growing.

Things I never considered carrying, 6mm ball allen socket, the plumbing heat element wrench that fits the oil pressure senders, snap ring pliers, etc,

I know I carry too much but it is my security blanket.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
here's a couple things i carry on a longer trip. can track down no-start issues very quickly, no guess work.

the fuel injector activator and a couple of noids. can pinpoint so many FI issues in a matter of minutes. the kit is quite small and i carry a hank of FI hose in it too.

and then my electrical diagnosis kit. top left is a Hall sensor tester; top right is just a simple long extension wire that i can run from the dash to the engine bay useful for truthing circuits; bottom left is the great test harness for powering the ECU, pump relays, and coil; and of course a meter.

Scotch Locks on *diagnostic* kit? Wow.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
DanHoug wrote:

I feel your pain , khughes

New rule.... anyone who sells a product with these or installs these has to put one on their genitals first
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
DanHoug wrote:

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1826565.jpg[/im

Tough crowd!
No weather corrosion to worry about.

I looked at the photo and thought ..... "Nice! I'm jealous, I should make one of these, even put it in a nifty carry bag!"

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
khughes wrote:
DanHoug wrote:

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1826565.jpg[/im

Tough crowd!
No weather corrosion to worry about.

I looked at the photo and thought ..... "Nice! I'm jealous, I should make one of these, even put it in a nifty carry bag!"

Dave

Well, when half the gremlins you troubleshoot end up being PO's scotchlocks...
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

but but but! in my defense, A. they are true Scotchlocks which have a higher reliability. and B. who the heck else carries an injector buzz box?!! if i find a dead injector and it just doesn't make sense, all the leads are paralleled and can quickly be swapped.

all y'all are just jealous... "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" or some such L'Oreal wisdom!

i'll see you on the road and you can be glad when a ratty Titan Red westy pulls up to your stalled sorry van!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
but but but! in my defense, A. they are true Scotchlocks which have a higher reliability. and B. who the heck else carries an injector buzz box?!! if i find a dead injector and it just doesn't make sense, all the leads are paralleled and can quickly be swapped.

all y'all are just jealous... "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" or some such L'Oreal wisdom!

i'll see you on the road and you can be glad when a ratty Titan Red westy pulls up to your stalled sorry van!

No! If you attempt to help me with a tool made with scotchLocs I may need to violently attack you!
How dare you!

But, I carry an LED probe test light, I can check injector pulse just like a noid does......

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/computer-safe-circuit-tester

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Tool List Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Mark Ward just carries a 13 mm wrench

Mark Ward just yells at the van to get going.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: