Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Interested in the feasibility of replacing the front seats in a EuroVan weekender with the swiveling front seats from a EV full-camper westy, of course after removing the 2 rear-facing ones.

What's the practicality & cost of this idea?

Would this require modifications? Can't believe it would be a bolt-for-bolt swap, but maybe?

Are there westy / camper shops in Florida who might be best for this?
[/b]
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out:

www.eurocampers.com

He sells the swivel bases that bolt into your Eurovan.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @Joetiger.
The part is only $184 here: http://goo.gl/j90e5V

Not so much. I wonder if they are a perfect fit for the existing weekender seats or if there are other adjustments to be made.

If anyone has done this let me know.
Rotating the passenger seat would be great.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed the middle row and put swivels on 2002 Weekender.

Couple of notes and pictures for you.

-In the USA there was never a Westfalia produced "full camper". Winnebago imported long wheel base VW T4 (Eurovan) and built conversions. Their seats ride on a "pedestal" type swivel. I've seen one guy that installed these into his 1993 Weekender. You loose the storage under the seat. The problem is that finding a Winnebago Full camper being parted out is rare and the parts are not available new.

-In Canada and Europe there was a Weatfalia built full camper T4 van. They actually made several variations in short/long pop top/high roof. Those had swivels too. Again, hard to find!

Then there is Eurocampers in the link above. There are two options. The first is a "plate" style swivel that raises the seat about 1". This is what I have in mine on both seats. The second option which is more expensive is the complete pedestal replacement that has a "safe" built into it. I read poor reviews on the safe portion, but these leave the seat at the stock height.

Both of those last options are simply bolt in!

Here are a few pictures of mine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a TON more functional room inside with the rear facing seats delegated and swivels installed!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1532393

Here are the westfalia swivels for sale here on the Samba.

A little pricey but these are very smooth operating and do not stick like the Vanagon style. The other benefit is that the seat height remains unchanged and the seat belt guide bolt does not have to be disabled like the eurocamper/winnibago model.

I found a used set in a Canadian parts yard. Very worthwhile upgrade
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info @Xtremjeepn
Very nice.
I have a 1993 Weekender, so no issues there
I would like just the adapter plate to swivel the 2 FRONT seats
Seems like that should work with the EuroCampers adapters right?

What's this about the seatbelt bolt being disabled. Is that avoidable?
And is this the best price for such an adapter? I'd get two so with shipping probably 400 bones total

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I've removed the middle row and put swivels on 2002 Weekender.
Then there is Eurocampers in the link above. There are two options. The first is a "plate" style swivel that raises the seat about 1". This is what I have in mine on both seats.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have to do anything with the seat belts, etc. Not sure what that is referencing. Seat belts work just like they did stock.

As you can see in the pictures, mine is just the adapter plate from Eurocampers. They are very robust and smooth. Though sometimes I get a small rattle from the passenger one of I didn't let it locked all the way.(just push the seat and it clicks in and goes away)
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear @Xtremjeepn
The Eurocampers describes the adpater swivel plate as follows:

Quote:
Adapter mounts on top of original seat base and allows front driver or passenger seat to swivel to face the rear. Seat locks in forward facing position. Raises seat height 1 inch. Requires installation of new seat belt buckle (sold separately).

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I didn't have to do anything with the seat belts, etc. Not sure what that is referencing. Seat belts work just like they did stock

emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry double post, can't seem to delete this

Last edited by emagin on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emagin wrote:
That's great to hear @Xtremjeepn
The Eurocampers describes the adpater swivel plate as follows:

Quote:
Adapter mounts on top of original seat base and allows front driver or passenger seat to swivel to face the rear. Seat locks in forward facing position. Raises seat height 1 inch. Requires installation of new seat belt buckle (sold separately).

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I didn't have to do anything with the seat belts, etc. Not sure what that is referencing. Seat belts work just like they did stock

.????

In this picture you can clearly see the swivle, the femal side of the seat belt buckle on the seat(100% stock), and even the lower seat belt bolt in the wall!

So what are they talking about? (I've had these in there for over a year now)

Unless they are trying to CYA and suggest the seat belt needs to be attached below the swivel? Which doesn't make any sense as its obvious that the swivel assembly itself is much stronger than the factory seat bolts alone. So it should survive in a crash better than the factory attachment point itself.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 1992 Eurovan the seat belt buckle is attached to the chair and is also attached to a sliding rail below the seat that is fastened to the seat base (my Mercedes 190E has this belt buckle attachment as well).

From your photo it looks like the later 2002 seats are different than the early models.

I owe this forum a bunch of photos so I'll try and post a photo of the early seat belt buckles.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

I'm wanting to add these to our '02 Weekender, and have found two "plate-style" solutions:

1) EuroCampers
http://www.eurocampers.com/1999--2003-EuroVan-Front-Seat-Swivel-Adapter-_p_329.html

2) Bus Depot
http://www.busdepot.com/59501

They look different from each other, but same basic function. Anyone have experience with both, and related recommendation? (@Xtremjeepn, I think I'm probably looking at you Wink )
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Neither one of those look like the ones I've received and installed. I can take a deeper look later.

The 93-95 swivels are different than the 1999-2003 ones
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

From conversations with both vendors, one thing I've found is that the eurocamper version uses a solid swivel bolt while the busdepot version uses a hollow bolt which would allow the wires for heated seats to pass through the swivel plate. I was asking about the '93-95 model year vans but assume that the swivel bolt would be similar for each vendor's later swivels as well.

IdeaNerd wrote:
I'm wanting to add these to our '02 Weekender, and have found two "plate-style" solutions

They look different from each other, but same basic function. Anyone have experience with both, and related recommendation? (@Xtremjeepn, I think I'm probably looking at you Wink )

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
Neither one of those look like the ones I've received and installed. I can take a deeper look later.

The 93-95 swivels are different than the 1999-2003 ones

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on these this week. Cole, did you find out anything further about the ones you've installed? I will defer to your preference if you've got one, given your experience.

Thanks in advance!
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

I've used all Sportcraft swivels. Ordered from any source I can get them at.

Not perfect, but the best available right now.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Thank you sir! Smile Will see if I can find those.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

@Xtremjeepn,

I found quite a few places the sell the Sportscraft Swivels, but most were in the UK and thus far those have not replied to my inquiries.

It looks like Bus Depot might sell the Sportscraft, here:
http://www.busdepot.com/j18042
Does that look like the Sportscraft you know and love?
Certainly not cheap (actually even more expensive than either of the suppliers I was able to get online quoted shipping pricing from, shipped from the UK).

The listing for Bus Depot's other one (that I linked to above) mentions that the swivel "locks in the forward position," which implies that it rotates freely and all other positions. Does the Sportscraft swivel lock in place when you spin the seat around?... or does it spin freely in all positions but facing forward? (I'm hoping to find a swivel which does the former.)

@any / all:

Lastly: during these searches yesterday I also came of cross a brand called FASP, which apparently has a pretty good reputation across the pond as well. I haven't been able to locate a US distributor, but I'm curious if anybody has had experience with those.

Last edited by IdeaNerd on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

They all lock forward and spin *freely* the rest of the time.

None of them spin easily Rolling Eyes

Sometimes they are hard to get ahold of. So I have just ordered from whomever has them in stock.

I've tried to find the source to buy and sell them myself with no luck. Sportcraft won't reply to my inquiries Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: