Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

@Xtremjeepn What is it with these crazy companies that don't want more revenue? Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the reply and info!

Does that Bus Depot one I just linked to look like the Sportscraft ones you like?
(http://www.busdepot.com/j18042)

It sounds like you've tried most of them (e.g. Eurocampers' offering, Bus Depot's other/cheaper one, Sportscraft, etc.). Have you ever tried/seen the FASP ones? Example here: http://www.swivel-seats.com/vw-t4.html
I'm just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:

Does that Bus Depot one I just linked to look like the Sportscraft ones you like?

Yes, those are the ones I've put on a bunch of vans now. (of course I take the brand new swivels out of the box and cut them into pieces to make them fit a lowered seat base Shocked )

I haven't tried those others.
Hampton89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

None of them spin easily Rolling Eyes

The OEM swivel seats in my 1999 EV camper were very difficult to spin when I got the van earlier this year. I sprayed some light grease in and spun it back and forth a bunch to work it in - that helped a lot but they still don't spin easily.

Any ideas on getting them to spin more freely? Thanks
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

You'll have to take the pedestal apart to some degree. Over time the grease gets gnarly with dust and dirt... cleaning everything then re-greasing has helped my stuck swivels.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
IdeaNerd wrote:

Yes, those are the ones I've put on a bunch of vans now. (of course I take the brand new swivels out of the box and cut them into pieces to make them fit a lowered seat base Shocked )

So, when you are chopping the bases, you cut down the top? I've only installed the passenger swivel on ours, but the height difference is noticeable enough that I haven't install the driver one yet -- thinking I may want to reduce the pedestal height first. Wondering as well if anyone makes a replacement shorter pedestal for sale (that is, besides the "locking safe" one), or has fabricated one of their own.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:
IdeaNerd wrote:

So, when you are chopping the bases, you cut down the top? I've only installed the passenger swivel on ours, but the height difference is noticeable enough that I haven't install the driver one yet -- thinking I may want to reduce the pedestal height first. Wondering as well if anyone makes a replacement shorter pedestal for sale (that is, besides the "locking safe" one), or has fabricated one of their own.

Yes. I chop about an inch out of the top of the seat base and weld it all back together.

Here is a shortened base without a swivel on it. Passenger side short and driver side stock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Thanks! Helpful. Smile
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

Yes. I chop about an inch out of the top of the seat base and weld it all back together.

Are there any formal guidelines / specs / standards for seat base modification and/or fabrication (i.e. in the U.S.)?

I'm thinking about this as it relates to:

1) this kind of mod above
2) replacing the base entirely w/a fabricated replacement of equal (or greater) strength, which I'm considering doing for one or both of our vans
3) all the custom-made / third-party back seats I've come across as I've researched VW camper van interiors these past few months -- back seats created over the years and also currently, especially in the UK and Europe. And notably, they usually have seat belts, which seemingly means they are intended as actual moving-vehicle passenger seats, not just "camping couches."
4) custom, hot rod, and/or low-volume car manufacturers (like, say, Ariel). What specs to they have to build to, in this regard?
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has tried to modify a Vanagon Westy swivel seat base to work in a EV? There are a lot of Vanagon Westys out there that all came with swivel front seats and many being parted out these days!
FredericB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently bought swivel adapters for my 2002 EV MV.
I was super excited to mount them yesterday and, as mentioned in the manual, the installation should be "very basic".
Ok....well.... it didn't turn out to be very basic and simple unfortunately and I am wondering if the part that I received is not defective ?
Let me explain :
- I started by removing the passenger seat. Pretty easy, the 2 front screws were a bit harder to access but nothing bad.
- When I put the swivel on top of the base, I realized that the screw holes were not perfectly aligned and in order to make it work, I had to use my dremel to grind the front end of the base metal. That made it work but I was already 1h into this project (what's wrong with this picture?)
- As the swivel was screwed on the base, I put the seat on top and ran into the same issue : the screw holes of the swivel were not aligned with the holes in the seat rails. I was only able to put 3 screws in and even with that, because it put pressure on the rails, I cant slide the seat forward/backwards.

However, the swivel feature is great, Im just not sure it is supposed to take 2+ hours to install. Hence, I didn't install the driver's side as I was worried to run into the same issues and not be able to drive my car.
Is my situation normal ? is it possible that I received a defective part ?

Thanks
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

FredericB wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought swivel adapters for my 2002 EV MV.
I was super excited to mount them yesterday and, as mentioned in the manual, the installation should be "very basic".
Ok....well.... it didn't turn out to be very basic and simple unfortunately and I am wondering if the part that I received is not defective ?
Let me explain :
- I started by removing the passenger seat. Pretty easy, the 2 front screws were a bit harder to access but nothing bad.
- When I put the swivel on top of the base, I realized that the screw holes were not perfectly aligned and in order to make it work, I had to use my dremel to grind the front end of the base metal. That made it work but I was already 1h into this project (what's wrong with this picture?)
- As the swivel was screwed on the base, I put the seat on top and ran into the same issue : the screw holes of the swivel were not aligned with the holes in the seat rails. I was only able to put 3 screws in and even with that, because it put pressure on the rails, I cant slide the seat forward/backwards.

However, the swivel feature is great, Im just not sure it is supposed to take 2+ hours to install. Hence, I didn't install the driver's side as I was worried to run into the same issues and not be able to drive my car.
Is my situation normal ? is it possible that I received a defective part ?

Thanks

I've installed a bunch of these in the custom vans I build. Rarely do the holes actually line up right. They are usually close enough to make them work though.

I've found that if you set the seat swivel on the seat and figure out which way the seat base welded nut needs to point then you can take off the swivel, screw a bolt into the nut and use it to bend the nut to face the hole on the swivel.

That said, I've modified more than a few of these with a grinder and a cut off wheel to make them fit better. Rolling Eyes
FredericB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

I've installed a bunch of these in the custom vans I build. Rarely do the holes actually line up right. They are usually close enough to make them work though.

I've found that if you set the seat swivel on the seat and figure out which way the seat base welded nut needs to point then you can take off the swivel, screw a bolt into the nut and use it to bend the nut to face the hole on the swivel.

That said, I've modified more than a few of these with a grinder and a cut off wheel to make them fit better. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your feedback and tip. Mine actually is not close enough to make it work. As I have ordered 2 of them, I will try the other one to see if it aligns better.
Considering how hard this one was to install, how annoying the rattle noise is, I'm sadly considering to return them. Also, the fact that Im 6+ ft tall, I cant have my driver seat raised more than it is already.
I'll see how the other one lines up as Id really like to have the passenger side at least be able to swivel.
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

I installed a swivel yesterday on the passenger seat in my Weekender. I was worried after reading of other's struggles to align it on the base but found no issues. Everything was snug but easily aligned without modification.

Can't wait for my next camping trip Very Happy
vivarice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

boostin20v wrote:
I installed a swivel yesterday on the passenger seat in my Weekender. I was worried after reading of other's struggles to align it on the base but found no issues. Everything was snug but easily aligned without modification.

Can't wait for my next camping trip Very Happy

hi boostin20v,
Could you share the link to where you purchased the swivel base? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

I grabbed it out of the classifieds here recently. Its the sportscraft unit mentioned by others.
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

For the 1992-1993 EV Weekender they are
BusDepot 220 + 43 shipping
Eurocampers 210 + ? Shipping - out of stock

Man the shipping is killer on these bricks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

FYI, the Bus Depot swivels have a large hole in the swivel so you can pass wiring through for heated seats. The Eurocamper swivels do not have this feature. This applies to swivels that will work on a '93.

emagin wrote:
For the 1992-1993 EV Weekender they are
BusDepot 220 + 43 shipping
Eurocampers 210 + ? Shipping - out of stock

Man the shipping is killer on these bricks.

Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

That some of these don't fit is terrible -- because they're not cheap. I see some of the UK listed ones as for early model vans (91-96) and then late model (97-03) -- but I didn't realize that the seat base was different there - maybe that's the issue with fit.
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

I tried the one from Euro kampers and it was terrible, plus they raised the price from date I ordered (went on Backorder) it until I received it! Raised seat about 2.5 inches, couldn't move seat back and forth after installing. Removed it and got one from CMC in the UK. $243 delivered to USA and it is awesome! Complete new base with either a lock box or just open box.
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiveling front seats for EuroVan Weekender? Reply with quote

57 Zwitter? wrote:
I tried the one from Euro kampers and it was terrible, plus they raised the price from date I ordered (went on Backorder) it until I received it! Raised seat about 2.5 inches, couldn't move seat back and forth after installing. Removed it and got one from CMC in the UK. $243 delivered to USA and it is awesome! Complete new base with either a lock box or just open box.

did you purchase the base or lock box version, i would like to know if the base one would fit the drivers side with the auxillary battery laid sideways underneath it?

i have the one from EuroCampers as well on my passengers side, it raises the seat with concerns it would be too much on the drivers side. I didn't have a problem with moving the seat back and forth.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: