Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

valve cover replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: valve cover replacement Reply with quote

Yes this question will finally reveal that I am a complete mechanical newbie when it comes to engines , but really I want to learn and assume some control over my van.

I am wanting to replace the valve covers on my 87. It seems like a very easy thing to do and the replacement parts seem very cheap so I don't want to pay a mechanic to do something that I believe is so easy.

My question is, when I remove the old valve covers do I need to drain the oil or anything like that first? Am I going to be flowing something all over the place when they come off or it it dry enough in there to just do it. And secondly when I replace the gasket do I need to seal it with some sort of goop or is the replacement seal good enough as is.

Thanks for your patients.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just pry down the center of the wire bails, and pull off the covers. A little oil will dribble out, so have a pan under the head, but it isn't necessary to drain all your oil. The covers are often kinda stuck on, but very gentle prying against the rim in a couple places will break the seal, and they'll be easy to pull off then.

Then you have to remove the old cork gaskets from both covers. Depending on how yours had been put on, they will either fall out themselves, or it'll be some time spent with a putty knife if they were glued in. If you're actually replacing the covers with new ones, then move on to prepping the new gaskets. If reusing, then every trace of old gasket and glue must be removed; the surface within the seal lip must be clean and flat. New covers are so cheap, if the old are really glued in and hard, it might just be time better spent using new covers.

There are as many ways to prep the gaskets as there are VW do-it-yourselfers. Everyone does seem to agree that only the OEM-type cork gaskets will do, although watch some troglodyte pipe in and say that the FLAPS neoprene ones are da bomb.

Anyway, my method: how you treat the cork gasket depends on which type of lifters you have. Why? If you have solid lifters, you'll need to adjust your valve clearances often, so ease of replacing the gasket is paramount. In that case, just smear the entire gasket with wheel bearing grease (not moly), wipe off the excess and stick it into the cover lip. The grease is absorbed by the cork, and keeps it soft for a long time so it won't crack and is easily removed. A pair of gaskets is usually good for two valve adjustments, but you should always have a spare pair on hand.

Since you have hydraulic lifters, you'll just about never have to service the valves, so something a little more permanent is called for, to assure the gaskets never creep. I like to stick the dry gaskets into the covers first with some non-hardening sealer. Don't use silicone; only non-hardening sealer should be used, if any. Gascacinch is my favorite because it's easy to remove the old glue from the metal whenever I need to change gaskets again. I apply a thin layer to the lip of the cover, and to one side of the gasket, and stick it into place. Then I wipe grease all around the exposed gasket face, and put the cover back on.

The lower part of the cover will be swimming in oil when the motor is running, so that's the area I want to be sure is sealed the best. I make sure the lower edge of the gasket is seated against the cover lip, and that then the cover lip is butted against the head. Holding it there, I pry the bail up until it clicks into the groove across the center of the cover. It matters not which way the bail faces, but I do like to pry from the bottom, because then the prying force isn't pulling the cover downward.

Check the oil level, start the motor and warm it up, and look for leaks. If you have everything settled in properly, they will be leak-free for many miles. If you don't grease the cork they will dry out and eventually crack, causing leaks. It's still a good idea to replace them every few years since the cork doesn't have as long a life as some other materials.

Have fun!

Last edited by tencentlife on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 10c, This sounds like something I can do and have great fun doing. We all have to start somewhere, and the Samba is that somewhere!
You guys (and gals) are great!!!
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ten cent is right on the money! I just did this last week and it took me about 15-20 minutes. I just lubed my cork gaskets with new 20W-50 motor oil and made sure they were seated properly when replacing the bail. Stopped my leaks instantly!

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to clarify you are talking about replacing just the valve cover GASKETS, and not the whole valve cover, right? Same procedure for both, but unless your valve covers are severely rusted out, they probably don't need replacing.

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the Valve Cover Gasket is a special design feature of German Engineering.

The English car designers felt that a car should leak oil immediately after you purchase it, and do so continuously for the life of the car. The unions in England where pleased with this, as it gave permanent job security to their mechanics. They could then pretend to repair said leaks and charge the warranty for the repair.

The Germans, clever fellows they are, designed their valve cover gaskets on VW's to start leaking virtually the day the warranty ran out. The company, VW, is partially owned by the Union. Therefore, they felt it would be better if this was an out of warranty repair. Thus forcing the customer to pay for the repair and also ensuring job security for the union workers, etc, etc.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dogpilot is getting funnier as time goes by.

Keep it up dog! Yer makin me laugh!
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To, it looks as though DOGPILOT has been waiting too long for his next flight. Too much idle time on his hands has him thinking too hard!

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx wrote:
I just want to clarify you are talking about replacing just the valve cover GASKETS, and not the whole valve cover, right? Same procedure for both, but unless your valve covers are severely rusted out, they probably don't need replacing.

-Damon

I am in fact wanting to replace the whole magilla, valve covers, gaskets and wire bales. The covers and wire bales look so rusted that I am sure they will fail sooner if not later. I don't have much rust on my camper at all except for those valve covers and wire bales. This is totally precautionary as there is no leak now (hmm... warranty must still be good), but for the minor expense, it makes sense to me to take care of it at home rather than on the road somewhere.

One of the covers (driver's side) seems fairly close to the exhaust pipes. Is it tricky to get around the pipes?
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na theres no trickery to gettting around the exhaust pipes if my memory sevres me correctly. theres enough clearence. Also, when the gasket is put inside the valve cover watch for bowing of the gasket along the top and bottom of the cover. Even the smallest bowing can cause some oil drippage. Although, I think the grease will prevent that by holding it in place if you decide to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Veedoubleused
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do do not do this. I have no idea how common this is but I broke a wire bale off flush with the head on a 72 bay window (insert RCA dog look here). I had to fabricate a clamp until the engine came out so that it could be drilled.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veedoubleused wrote:
I have no idea how common this is but I broke a wire bale off flush with the head

Is there any trick to removing the wire bales? I want to replace them too.
Veedoubleused
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure they move in their holes before prying too hard.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easy to replace. I replaced all of the above laying on my back in the driveway without even jacking up the van. Although... I've got pretty good at doing repairs on my back in the driveway!

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
Tooharsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tencent for the write up.
HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: valve cover replacement Reply with quote

I removed one valve cover while under the van.

About 100-200ml of oil came out of the cover. A fresh oil change was performed a few days prior. Is this normal?

Within 30 seconds I quickly put the cover back on with the same gasket. Are the gaskets single use only?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: valve cover replacement Reply with quote

Oil coming out is normal.

If the Van is not level, left to right, when parked, the lower side will have more oil than the higher side.

Single use? Often they are multiple use on VWs but your unit doesn't need frequent adjustment so I'd opt for new gaskets just to ward off leaks..... but you may not need them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: valve cover replacement Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
please. I need part number asap. 1.9 td/d
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: valve cover replacement Reply with quote

and this part number too please
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: valve cover replacement Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
please. I need part number asap. 1.9 td/d

Start a new separate thread on this because this is a separate problem from what was originally posted.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: