Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diedrich coffee bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good god get off the trip on the plates game they weren't sold with the bus. all said just getting the bus back unmolested was far more than anbody could reasonably expect.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
good god get off the trip on the plates game they weren't sold with the bus. all said just getting the bus back unmolested was far more than anbody could reasonably expect.

thanks man i feel the same way.
here are a couple items i think i still own.original owners manual with notes from carl himself about wiring for the fog light and such,also his how to keep your vw alive with lots of cool hand written notes about the bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:

That's the understatement of the month, at least. I'd say it's a fickin miracle to get such a storied vehicle back to the original owner's son. Good job to everyone involved!
Now, to slightly change the subject: What special stuff did Carl do to help the bus survive all this heroic duty? (I realize that trip was not exactly like driving down a US freeway!) Like suspension, shocks, and especially TIRES? did Carl leave any notes/ records of tire brands, mileage, etc?
thanks,
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that bus when I lived in sandpoint, sadly...I didn't have much interest in buses at the time and was too cheap.

I remember it was forsale about 2 years ago, it was just down the road form my house.

Cool bus now that i'm looking at it again Laughing
DubCab420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one trip between Guatemala and the states, Carl and his wife parked the bus next to a river somewhere near Tonalá, Chiapas (MX) for a rest. He had pulled the plug for an oil change and they both went for a skinny-dip in the river. A very sudden flash flood engulfed them and would have taken the bus had they not pushed it (naked) to higher ground. One of many ....
p.s. I know how to roast beans with an 88 shell casing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: