Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diedrich coffee bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekimikem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
Grim Reaper, are you the one that he said just parked it in a barn to preserve it? If so, good for you!

That bus was never parked and stored in a barn to the best of my knowledge. Apparently it changed owners several times since it first arrived in Sandpoint but was maintained at the local shop and driven regularly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another story on this Bus
http://www.ocweekly.com/features/year-in-review/a-reality-shrine-for-a-wired-world/16826/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
submachinegun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Another story on this Bus
http://www.ocweekly.com/features/year-in-review/a-reality-shrine-for-a-wired-world/16826/

good read. Cool

http://OstKuste.com/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M&KDiedrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All!

Martin and Karen Diedrich here (Karen writing on both our behalf.) Susan alerted us to this thread, and yes we'd be happy to fill in some of the blanks on this story. I'm going to post this now to see if I can get it to work before I write more, because my first attempted post disappeared when I tried to post it.... KD
M&KDiedrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so next a question for Grim... do you still have the Guatemala license plates that were in the bus when Martin's brother Carl took it to Idaho? Were they with the bus when you got it?
M&KDiedrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apparently I'm too wordy because the forum keeps kicking out my posts, so let me just say on both Martin and my behalf that we are really happy to have the coffee bus back, and we want to thank it's interim owners for their caring and consideration of it's history and keeping it intact. After it's adventures (love the photos at the skateboarding event!) the bus is back hauling green coffee, even though it's just from our warehouse in Costa Mesa to our new coffeehouse/roastery, Kean Coffee in Newport Beach. It's amazing how locals around here get excited to see it, many of them having been Diedrich Coffee customers from the old days when Carl was hauling sacks from Guatemala.

Incidentally, the "Diedrich Coffee" in Sandpoint Idaho is not a coffee roaster, but Martin's brother Steve's separate business which builds and sells coffee roasters. They only roast coffee to test the machines, but don't sell coffee. "Diedrich Coffee" California was the one that roasted and sold coffee.

Martin looks forward to the June 7th VW bus event in Anaheim and will be happy to answer any questions about the bus there, or here on this forum.

Karen D.
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&KDiedrich wrote:
Okay so next a question for Grim... do you still have the Guatemala license plates that were in the bus when Martin's brother Carl took it to Idaho? Were they with the bus when you got it?

why yes I still have the plate it is the prize of my plate collection.I also have a europeon plate that came with it,the original owners manual with notes writin in it, and the original hubcaps that were on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grim reaper wrote:
M&KDiedrich wrote:

why yes I still have the plate it is the prize of my plate collection.I also have a europeon plate that came with it,the original owners manual with notes writin in it, and the original hubcaps that were on it.

That sure would be neat if all those pieces were reunited again........
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&KDiedrich wrote:
Hello All!

Martin and Karen Diedrich here (Karen writing on both our behalf.) Susan alerted us to this thread, and yes we'd be happy to fill in some of the blanks on this story. I'm going to post this now to see if I can get it to work before I write more, because my first attempted post disappeared when I tried to post it.... KD

Let me just say how much I miss the Diedrich Coffee places here in SoCal. Used to drink it every day, and would probably pass by 5 Starbucks locations just to get to that great Diedrich nectar....

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still want some bus beans, how do i get them. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
i still want some bus beans, how do i get them. Smile

I just looked online for you but the Heritage Blend with the bus on the front seems to be gone. I must've bought the last two bags. Sorry. The picture isn't the real coffee bus anyway, but it's still a bus. Maybe Martin will chime in about availability?
'60 Single cab
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its time for a new heritage blend anyway.get the right bus on there and relaunch.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M&KDiedrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...

Well we hate to burst anyone's bubbles, but no member of the Diedrich family has had anything to do with Diedrich Coffee - the coffee roasting company, since 2004. The "Heritage Blend" was created after the company was taken over by its largest investor (who later sold all the stores to Starbucks), in an effort to continue to capitalize on the family heritage in our absence. You can imagine that if we had created the Heritage Blend, we would have put a photo of the actual bus on it...lol

The reason the coffee bus is now hauling beans for Kean Coffee is that we have started over from scratch (naming the business after our son because we cannot call ourselves "Diedrich" any longer - the investor owns the naming rights) and Kean Coffee is now the "real" Diedrich Coffee, as we are doing things the way we did them in the early days of Diedrich Coffee again - small scale, in-house roasting. (Are we allowed to post our Kean Coffee website address? Don't want to seem to be self-promoting... you can always google us...)

We are thinking of offering "bus beans" at the Anaheim event.... : )
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

def let me know on the bus beans. If your bringing them to classic, ill get some there. if not give me the 411 and ill get some. Smile hehe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&KDiedrich wrote:
Sigh...

Well we hate to burst anyone's bubbles, but no member of the Diedrich family has had anything to do with Diedrich Coffee - the coffee roasting company, since 2004. The "Heritage Blend" was created after the company was taken over by its largest investor (who later sold all the stores to Starbucks), in an effort to continue to capitalize on the family heritage in our absence. You can imagine that if we had created the Heritage Blend, we would have put a photo of the actual bus on it...lol

The reason the coffee bus is now hauling beans for Kean Coffee is that we have started over from scratch (naming the business after our son because we cannot call ourselves "Diedrich" any longer - the investor owns the naming rights) and Kean Coffee is now the "real" Diedrich Coffee, as we are doing things the way we did them in the early days of Diedrich Coffee again - small scale, in-house roasting. (Are we allowed to post our Kean Coffee website address? Don't want to seem to be self-promoting... you can always google us...)

We are thinking of offering "bus beans" at the Anaheim event.... : )

I've read about this Diedrich situation before. Welcome to America where you can no longer use your own name because someone owns the rights to it! I'll definetly look you guys up, I respect your quality and history. And by all means, put the "real" bus on the label, take back your heritage and come sell us some of your coffee!

Good luck with Kean!

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
Stall20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
grim reaper wrote:
M&KDiedrich wrote:

X2 these org. items should be with the bus, and the org. owners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hkoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stall20 wrote:
suebug wrote:
grim reaper wrote:
M&KDiedrich wrote:

X2 these org. items should be with the bus, and the org. owners.

X3 If you really did care about its history you would return it to the bus.
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guilt trip.
if you really care about these items buy them from me and give them back to Martin.Martin only asked if i had them he never asked to get them back and im sure they will end up back in his hands but it wont be all this "X3" crap that gets it there.They are my items to do what i want with, i never sold them with the bus for a reason.If i cared? im the one that helped get it out of the woods and back to Costa Mesa.So when Martin ask for them back then im sure we will work it out but stop with the guilt trips people.
Martin give me a call and we can work out a trade for some coffee or something, dont stress these items like the rest.
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grim reaper wrote:
guilt trip.
if you really care about these items buy them from me and give them back to Martin.Martin only asked if i had them he never asked to get them back and im sure they will end up back in his hands but it wont be all this "X3" crap that gets it there.They are my items to do what i want with, i never sold them with the bus for a reason.If i cared? im the one that helped get it out of the woods and back to Costa Mesa.So when Martin ask for them back then im sure we will work it out but stop with the guilt trips people.
Martin give me a call and we can work out a trade for some coffee or something, dont stress these items like the rest.

Hmmm, I was hoping this was being handled with some class behind the scenes but now here is the ugliness for all to see in the public forum. Martin is a real nice guy and I'm sure he would trade some coffee beans to further the reunification of the coffee bus' parts that should have stayed with it. Want me to ask for you? I'll make a special trip to Kean's just for you.
'60 Single cab
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want everyone to know the missing pieces are in safe hands and there is no way i would ever get rid of them unless they went back to the Diedrich bus.I dont need anyone to talk to him for me i just want to talk to him myself.after all it was my bus at one point in its life and it would be neat to chat with him.I do care thats why i started this thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: