Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixing slider window rattle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to bump this since I **know** that I'm not the only one who has been looking for these. Seriously, I was looking at replacing the sliders on my van because of a tiny missing piece of plastic. Without this the whole thing just starts to decay and perhaps more importantly becomes hopelessly annoying. With these darn little guides the windows work wonderfully.

So GoWesty has these for the time being. Go get some and solve your stupid window issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Felt Strips? Reply with quote

Those posts from FNGRUVN were relatively recent--did that Screen Door replacement felt work? Did you find and get the product from J.C. Whitney? Currently, Bus Depot reports the slider guides out of stock, GoWesty lists them likewise.

I've gotten rid of a lot of Winston's annoying rattles. The ones left became directly more annoying in compensation.

Shocked

Worst so far are the one remaining slider window and the skylight. I need to have a look at that for wear or at the least see what else can be done.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what your talking about msinabottle?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought mine at a Ace hardware.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Felt Strips? Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
I've gotten rid of a lot of Winston's annoying rattles. The ones left became directly more annoying in compensation.

Truer words were never spoken. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Felt Strips? Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Those posts from FNGRUVN were relatively recent--did that Screen Door replacement felt work? Did you find and get the product from J.C. Whitney? Currently, Bus Depot reports the slider guides out of stock, GoWesty lists them likewise.

Shocked

Worst so far are the one remaining slider window and the skylight. I need to have a look at that for wear or at the least see what else can be done.

Best!

I got the guides from VC late last week.
LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Lessee... Reply with quote

Yeah, Van Cafe is the BOMB with fast shipping--I got mine today. But I don't think there's any of that fuzzy material left in the window, so ending the rattle is going to be a bigger project than I thought.

It looks as if I'll have to take apart the window, which I hope can be done with it in place, and replace the storm window fuzz--I've got some of that, not sure if it's the right size--in the horizontal and vertical channels where the worn stuff is now. Then I need to cut a notch... Somewhere... Into the frame of the sliding part of the window so that the little barb on the guides will lock into place, then put it all together.

I'm game for it all, just a bit unsure and I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing, yet.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
512dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having work done on my van so I pulled out both slider windows so I could replace the felt in the vertical and horizontal channels.

Here was how I did it:

1) Remove slider window from the van. You can cut the window seal from the inside and push the window out, just make sure someone is there to catch it. If you don't want to replace the seal then you will have to figure out to take the seal out without cutting it. I hear soapy water helps to lubricate the seal during dis-assembly but since I didn't do that you will need to figure that one out yourself.

2) Remove the window latch by taking out the screw from the underside of the latch. Once you remove the screw the latch will pop off.

3) Open the sliding glass window so that you can spread apart the window frame. I used my foot to hold the lower frame and gently pulled up on the upper frame just enough to allow the sliding glass to pop free of the channel it rides in. A little finesse here and not so much brute strength will keep you from bending the frame.

4) The felt rides in a T shaped channel and to remove mine I ran a sharp cutting blade down the center of the old felt and split it into two halves. I then used a small flat head screw driver and needle nose pliers to pull each half of the old felt out of the channel. Repeat this for the vertical and horizontal felt pieces.

5) Ensure that the channels are free of any debris, old felt pieces and that they aren't distorted or damaged in any way. A section of my channel was dented and I reshaped it before attempting to install the new felt.

6) Next you need to move the rubber seal out of the way which is sitting behind the starting edge of the felt channel. You need to do this to allow some working room to feed the felt into the channel otherwise it will be a bear to get in there. You don't have to take the whole rubber seal out just up to the area behind the starting edge of the felt channel.

7) Now feed about 5-15mm of the new felt into the T channel. The flat plastic side of the felt goes into the T slot of the channel and holds the felt in place. Once you get it started, take the tail end of the new felt and snake it behind the starting edge of the felt channel so it makes a bit of a hairpin turn as it feeds into the channel. This helps provide a more direct path for feeding the felt into the channel and makes sliding/feeding the felt in much easier. My picture will illustrate this better than this description but you should get the idea here.

Cool Once the new felt strip is in place, trim it off and make sure that its not too long or else it will interfere with the fit of the rubber gasket and make the window difficult to slide. Repeat this for both the vertical and horizontal channels.

9) While you have the sliding windows out, replace the plastic sliding bearing/bushing, part #281-847-723B I used a blunt tip flat head screw driver to tap these out. Flip the sliding window upside down and just tap them out from the channel.

10) Replacing the window is the reverse of taking it out. Make sure you have it oriented correctly and spread the window frame apart while pressing the window into place. Reattach the latch and voila!
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice write up with pics Very Happy
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that photo journal, now I need to do it!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: UHMW tape Reply with quote

OK I did it on one side and it is a vast improvement! My windows are silky smooth and tight!

I’m writing about my mistakes here in hopes the next person will do it better and update this instruction.

I was able to pop the glass in and out with the frame in situ, by taking care and using a thin putty knife as a pryer. This saves the majority of the actual work.

Before you even start on this project, tool yourself up with a 1/4” combo wrench and a slotted bit no longer than 2 inches:

This will improve your chances of getting the latch apart without damaging something or cursing.

I added my own mod in the form of 3/4” wide UHMW tape, but 1 inch would have fit better. My furry strips were totally disintegrated from the harsh New Mexico UV causing the frame to fall inward thereby eroding areas that never otherwise come in contact:

Above you can see where the aluminum was rattling on its support ridge. The plastic sliders had been missing for years, the part mentioned earlier in this topic. I covered these areas with UHMW tape, however in the end I realized it was unnecessary while the furry combs were intact, as it presses the glass outward. When the UHMW is in place, the plastic guides are unnecessary until the combs lose their strength. I suspect that leaving out the guides improves sealing but eventully require sooner maintenance. Time will tell.

Looking down into the groove you can see how the 3/4 width UHMW is either too narrow or I positioned it too far outward, as keep in mind it is difficult to install in a narrow groove:

I realized afterward I should have started it against the inside of the groove and let the outer edge fall wherever it chose. I used a blunt spud to inside corner it without ripping the plastic, working one edge to the other to prevent stretching. In any case, the combs keep the glass pressed outwardly, so while the slide marks show it eroding the inner part of the slot, after the combs are installed it rides on the outer half, which is mostly where my UHMW is. I used a soft wire brush to smooth these surfaces before applying the UHMW, as they were too rough from scraping to offer a good sticking surface. NOTICE how I cut the drain holes with a surgical blade after it rained overnight and the groove was filled with water. The holes also server to drain dirt, sand and other crud that interferes with the sliding.

There is also a backstop that some vans might be missing:

The bumper is inserted into the upper curve of the frame and prevents the window groove from gashing the curve as it hits the end of its stroke on the bottom corner.

How the UHMW tape holds up under New Mexico sandstorms remains to be seen.

I would also add that I stripped off the factory tinting while the glass was out, but then I discovered 35 years of calcium deposit on the outside of the glass. I ruined 3 razor blades trying to scrape off the calcium, but then by brain kicked in and I wiped it down with oxalic acid solution and it came off easily.

Also, the latches should be positioned with a downward-forward angle into the latch stops. If you position them randomly you may find the window can be slid open from the outside, especially if metal is worn like mine are. Repositioning the latch angle is a lot of work, so do it before attaching the handle.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This experiment failed.

Note to self: NEVER use UHMW tape where it is exposed to direct sunlight. The adhesive degrades fast and the plastic separates, leaving a crusty adhesive layer.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Van Cafe has the window guides in stock.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1633_1368/sliding-window-guide-piece.html

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: