Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
navyvet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

Everyone has been such a help before to me. So here is another humble question for the great ones. How do my son and I put the drivers side rear vent window on? My old one finally finished rusting and fell inside this morning. I bought a new used perfect condition one that has the gasket and everything ready to install I think. We removed the large window on the side also so we could do some rust repair around the bottom of the windows. We coated them with some new stuff thats a knockoff of pour fifteen called rust seal, it's quite a bit cheaper. I bought it at the back to the fifties car show in saint paul this last sunday. tonight We shall paint it and hopefully put the windows in tommorow or the next day. So if anyone can give me a step by step i'd really apreciate it. My book only tells about the windshield. Thanks !
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vent window goes in before the side window. Put it in position about an inch back from the front so the tabs on the vertical bar can hook inside the pinchweld lip through the notches. Slide it forward into position and check that the rubber isn't pinched. After that the side window goes in same as the windshield.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^
good summary

If you need more info a lot has allready been written here. You would have to do a search to find it. If you allready have a good seal that's half the battle. A new one is $50.
navyvet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Vent window goes in before the side window. Put it in position about an inch back from the front so the tabs on the vertical bar can hook inside the pinchweld lip through the notches. Slide it forward into position and check that the rubber isn't pinched. After that the side window goes in same as the windshield.

THANKS!! It went in Just like you said. OUTSTANDING! I appreciate it very much.

Very Happy
navyvet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
^^^^^^
good summary

If you need more info a lot has allready been written here. You would have to do a search to find it. If you allready have a good seal that's half the battle. A new one is $50.

Thanks, I looked at the new gaskets. I know they are expensive. I wonder why they charge so much for the smallest gasket of all the windows? I tried to find info with the search but all I found was stuff on replacing with a solid glass or stuff like that. Maybe I typed in the wrong thing but I tried vent window and thats pretty much all that came up. After driving around on the search for two hours I had to pull over and ask for directions!
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navyvet wrote:
I tried to find info with the search but all I found was stuff on replacing with a solid glass or stuff like that. Maybe I typed in the wrong thing but I tried vent window and thats pretty much all that came up. After driving around on the search for two hours I had to pull over and ask for directions!

The key to using the search function is to use the word AND in between your keywords - for example "rear AND vent AND window AND replace". And yes, use a capitalized AND. It will filter out hundreds or thousands of posts that just happen to have those words in them.

For example - searching "vent window" on the Baywindow forum returns 4264 results.

Searching "rear AND vent AND window AND replace" on the Baywindow forum returns 15 results.

Of course, there is still no guarantee you'll find what you're looking for, but it does enable you to search a lot more relevant posts much more quickly.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navyvet wrote:
I know they are expensive. I wonder why they charge so much for the smallest gasket of all the windows?

If you were to buy a new one and examine it closely you can see why it it so expensive. It's not at all like any other seals. It's more like a puzzle in design. It's either an advanced engineering marvel or nightmare. Flaps, folds, slots, grooves just everywhere from all different directions. I can't imagine the complexity of the mold it comes from.

Glad you got the window in!
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Busdaddy, your reply should become a sticky! This was one of my questions, and I've not been able to find a good explanation until this one. Like navyvet says, most of the posts are about replacing with solid glass or were unclear descriptively... I've done that search too and the answer has been elusive until now. I was under the impression that it was a difficult install. Now it is sounding much easier.

I bought a replacement vent window (ebay), but the seller had removed the bottom pin. I didn't realize. Then I came here and learned. Not good! Me ripped off! Needed to start over. Caulked the window shut temporarily.
navyvet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B
Quote:
usdaddy, your reply should become a sticky! This was one of my questions, and I've not been able to find a good explanation until this one. Like navyvet says, most of the posts are about replacing with solid glass or were unclear descriptively... I've done that search too and the answer has been elusive until now. I was under the impression that it was a difficult install. Now it is sounding much easier.

I bought a replacement vent window (ebay), but the seller had removed the bottom pin. I didn't realize. Then I came here and learned. Not good! Me ripped off! Needed to start over. Caulked the window shut temporarily.
[/quote]

Ya, his instructions were so clear and precise I think this guy should write his own bus manual. Seriously! After we installed it I couldent believe how easy it was. Hope you find a good window. I bought mine from a person I found here on the samba. He's in San Bernadino,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=448144

Theres the link to his add. In case your still looking for one. I know there much better than I would probably find around Minnesnowta.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, glad I could help.

The side vents are one of VW's weaker designs, it's difficult to find one with the bottom pivot intact. It's usually the first thing that corrodes and the pivot siezes into the friction clamp twisting it out of the glass frame. Many remain intact for years with the pivot loosely keeping the window from falling out but not doing a thing to hold it open.

I have welded a couple of the black framed ones back in with good results, even made a missing pivot, but getting the glass back into the frame is no fun at all.
If you do find one that the lower pivot still moves with the window, lube it up good before you install it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
63bajaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: bus vent window replacement, drivers side Reply with quote

I replaced the rubber around my vent window with a good quality seal from bus-boys and have it properly installed in the opening, all tabs in their correct position. My problem is getting the fixed glass installed. It also has a new gasket from the same source but just won't fully engage the opening all the way around. I start by trying to partially engage the gasket into the opening and then the inside flap using the string method at the bottom then working up the sides but the further it get it becomes harder and harder to seat. I've tried windex, soapy water, KY jelly and o-ring lube but nothing helps. Anyone with experinece doing this installation have any suggestions?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the vent window is as far in as you can get it, and the tabs are not caught on anything. i found it helpful to have the vent window open, as it would allow some flex in the frame, letting the fixed window slide right in

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your on the right track. Install vent window first. Then we use a suction cup on 3/4 window. Start the edge nearest to vent wing first. It took pushing the window forward toward vent wing at the same time with little inward pressure then pull string a little. Back and forth. The thing I remember the most is it seemed to slide in from back to front rather than pop in like others.
63bajaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even used bar clamps to pull the vent window forward so the tabs on the leading edge of the vent frame engaged fully with the flange, so I know the vent is fully seated. I was starting with the lower long edge of the fixed glass but will now try starting with the short edge at the vent and work toward the back end. Hopefully this is the secret.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note as I recall it was the starting the window back a half inch from vent wing and sliding it forward at the same time seating seal inward.
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that this, if you break the tabs then you have to change the frame out, or get a single piece of glass, as suggested by some. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a Pemnut kit and put pemnuts on the frame vent wing assembly. What they don't tell you is that the tabs have to go in between the two spot welded pieces if you can maneuver it there. That being said, I broke off mine and used Pemnuts, and so far so good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63bajaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: bus vent window replacement, drivers side Reply with quote

Rear driver's side window finally installed after 8 attempts. For the record, I used a generous amount of Dow 111 on both the bus opening and the rubber gasket, even applied a little on the glass side for extra measure. Started the installation at the bottom and worked to just getting past the rear radius by about 2 inches. Then we started up the edge at the vent to the upper 90 degree corner. This was the most difficult place and required the most work. After that, worked the back leg again and then the top till it was finally installed.
The lube made the difference. During each of my previous attempts it appeared as if it was way oversized even though I am the one who took it out.
Thanks to everone for the feedback and support.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for this thread. I need to replace mine and have a replacement vent window but just havent gotten around to it. Probably putting it off too because of the uncertainty.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all
This is something that I am working on but I am having a serious issue with getting the seal on the frame. On the long end it has to go under the lip and also under the other side. What am I missing? is it supposed to slide on?
I took the pop rivets out so that the frame is two pieces but can not seem to get it on the long side.
Any help is appreciated.
thanks
Shawn
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all
This is something that I am working on but I am having a serious issue with getting the seal on the frame. On the long end it has to go under the lip and also under the other side. What am I missing? is it supposed to slide on?
I took the pop rivets out so that the frame is two pieces but can not seem to get it on the long side.
Any help is appreciated.
thanks
Shawn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: