Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 2.0L & 091 Trans into 72 Bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: 914 2.0L & 091 Trans into 72 Bus? Reply with quote

I just bought a '72 Deluxe that already has the porsche engine in it & I can throw my 1.8L into it but the guy I bought the bus from said the 914 motor was rebuilt 9 years ago, driven for 3500 miles, and then parked. I also have an 091 trans sitting out and the clutch & flywheel from the 2.0L that was with it. Would it be a good match to throw these together?

From what I'm told the motor was built by a VW guy to go into a bus, so my guess would be that he knew about torque specs, etc. The bus has the stock trans in it now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to make a 914 2.0l go in a bus you just need the bus flywheel and PP and clutch as they are different.

The 2.0L with 3 intake bolts is a 95hp engine and what induction? The Djet? Ljet or duals or a single carb?

Won't make near that hp with a single carb.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well shit that's what i have...a single carb. i'd really like to convert to FI or even dual carbs...just gotta find it somewheres.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not refer to the type 4 as a 'Porsche engine'. It is a VW engine. Originally designed for the VW 411 car, hence it being the type 4 engine.
After that VW decided to put it in the 914 body that is called a Porsche in the US, but a VW or a Porsche in Germany depending on the car. The 914/4 uses the VW engine, 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0. The 914/6 uses a Porsche engine. http://vista.pca.org/stl/914.htm
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:

After that VW decided to put it in the 914 body that is called a Porsche in the US, but a VW or a Porsche in Germany depending on the car...

My location: http://www.google.com/maps?q=Atlanta,+GA,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

So...it's a porsche engine. Rolling Eyes I get it, but thanks for the link.

The major purpose of this post is to ask whether an 091 trans be better suited to the 914 engine than the stock 002 that came in the '72.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is a VW engine.

I was referring to your 1st line in your post: "I just bought a '72 Deluxe that already has the porsche engine in it...."
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
Do not refer to the type 4 as a 'Porsche engine'. It is a VW engine. Originally designed for the VW 411 car, hence it being the type 4 engine.
After that VW decided to put it in the 914 body that is called a Porsche in the US, but a VW or a Porsche in Germany depending on the car. The 914/4 uses the VW engine, 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0. The 914/6 uses a Porsche engine. http://vista.pca.org/stl/914.htm

oh geez, not this arguement again....Hmmm,The 914 was a entry level car using VW's massproduction skills and assembly plants.
It was a joint venture to build a sports car---here in the USA and the ROW except Europe it was sold as a PORSCHE. In Europe it was sold as a VW-Porsche hence the VOPO name. The 914/6 was sold as the upscale model with the 911 T six in it and sold badly.
In 1974 Porsche bought out VW so it became a real Porsche I guess but the 914 2.0L engine has several parts that are 914. In fact the 2.0L crank and rods were Porsche designed (note the 039 part number) and VW then used them for the bus.

back on topic-the 091 has better gearing for the 2.0L engine and is stronger. What induction are you planning? Ljet will run the best with it but if you have the djet it can be made to work too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know a thing about how FI works, how would I go about figuring out how to install it, what to get, what to look for, etc?

Karl you're correct, I did some research and it is a VW engine.

Because it's in a VW bus. Brick wall
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it come with the Djet?
In a bus I think the easy way would be to find a complete Ljet setup and install it.
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's got a single weber on it, I did find a guy here locally that has a 78 with a 2.0L FI on it. Would that work with this engine?
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryman wrote:
i don't know a thing about how FI works, how would I go about figuring out how to install it, what to get, what to look for, etc?

Karl you're correct, I did some research and it is a VW engine.

Because it's in a VW bus. Brick wall

It's not a VW engine because it's in a Bus, it's a VW engine because it's a VW engine. Regardless of wether it's in a 411, a Bus or a 914, it's a V Engine that was used in a Porsche, not a Porsche engine that was used in a VW. Sorry to be so picky, but it gets a little irratating after reading the billionth ad for someone trying to sell a Bus that hasn't a clue about it and saying it has a Porsche engine. I know that isn't your situation....but now you know. It's a VW engine regardless of what sheet metal is wrapped around it.
OrangeWesty'73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 2.0L & 091 Trans into 72 Bus? Reply with quote

barryman wrote:
I just bought a '72 Deluxe that already has the porsche engine in it ......the guy I bought the bus from said the 914 motor was rebuilt 9 years ago, driven for 3500 miles, and then parked.

From what I'm told the motor was built by a VW guy to go into a bus, so my guess would be that he knew about torque specs, etc. The bus has the stock trans in it now.

Is this the same guy that put a single weber on it? At this point I'd question ALL his knowledge.

I have a single weber.....and I can't imagine a person spending the time and money to properly rebuild anything and topping it with a weber.

Thats like building an ice cream sundae and topping it with a cherry tomato.

I'd be leery.

I only say this because the guy I bought my bus from had it rebuilt by a "professional" who topped it with a weber.
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's not a VW engine because it's in a Bus, it's a VW engine because it's a VW engine. Regardless of wether it's in a 411, a Bus or a 914, it's a V Engine that was used in a Porsche, not a Porsche engine that was used in a VW. Sorry to be so picky, but it gets a little irratating after reading the billionth ad for someone trying to sell a Bus that hasn't a clue about it and saying it has a Porsche engine. I know that isn't your situation....but now you know. It's a VW engine regardless of what sheet metal is wrapped around it.

You people take things wayyyyyyy too seriously sometimes. It was a joke...I understood from the get-go that it wasn't made by porsche but by VW & that's what makes it a VW, regardless of the fact that it's now being used to power a bus. If you're going to split hairs over semantics, try spelling "whether" correctly.

Once again, the point of the post was not to discuss whether or not the engine was a porsche or VW, but whether an 091 would be a better trans to mate with the 914 engine than the 002.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryman wrote:
Quote:

You people take things wayyyyyyy too seriously sometimes. It was a joke...I understood from the get-go that it wasn't made by porsche but by VW & that's what makes it a VW, regardless of the fact that it's now being used to power a bus. If you're going to split hairs over semantics, try spelling "whether" correctly.

Once again, the point of the post was not to discuss whether or not the engine was a porsche or VW, but whether an 091 would be a better trans to mate with the 914 engine than the 002.

That attitude will certainly get you far. An omitted "h" is far less an annoyance than some noob repeating incorrect information about his "Porsche" motor in his Bus. You're the one asking for help, not me. Good luck.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toss up, depends on what he wants, gearing in the 72 002 will give him good hill-a-bility, the 091 has a better cruise on the hiway. Use the 002 flywheel (210 or 215) on the 2.0L and the engine is a bolt in. The 091 will also fit in.

As for the FI system he will need to strip a FI bus rear wiring harness, relays, fuel pump, hoses, basically everything a later FI bay has in the rear. First off Barryman, how mechanically inclined are you? The conversion can be done, has been done, only you can evaluate the feasability of whether you want to do it. Might be a good idea to play with the bus the way it is, grow with it, then delve into the world of fiddling about.

Have no fear of the Weber, they work, it can be tuned, a bit tempermental in the winter but if it is what you got, run it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, now he is asking about the weather!

yes, a 091 is a better tranny all around for a bus even one with a VOPO 2.0L engine in it.
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
great, now he is asking about the weather!

see, that's the ticket.

What's going to get me far? Being laid back about ACVWs and enjoying myself? I guess that is a bit offensive to some...apparently not Bleyseng. And it's not about being annoying, it's about holding to the same principle that you so adamantly preached in a thread that people such as yourself have repeatedly taken off topic and failed to provide the help that I'm asking for.

Go troll someone else's thread, you seem to have a knack for it VWTick.

Last edited by barryman on Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
barryman wrote:
Quote:

That attitude will certainly get you far. An omitted "h" is far less an annoyance than some noob repeating incorrect information about his "Porsche" motor in his Bus. You're the one asking for help, not me. Good luck.

VDubTech wrote:
pumpkinthing wrote:
AAA contracts out to towing compan=ies to do there roadside member tows. the driver does not work for AAA.

T-H-E-I-R.....first of all.

Second....

Really…I thought that there vs. their was really not that annoying either however it was brought up in the thread quoted above. Be consistent…

Could we please try to help this guy and not slam him for what he calls the engine! It’s a Porsche…it’s a VW...Reality is that it’s an engine that this guy needed help with.

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Toss up, depends on what he wants, gearing in the 72 002 will give him good hill-a-bility, the 091 has a better cruise on the hiway. Use the 002 flywheel (210 or 215) on the 2.0L and the engine is a bolt in. The 091 will also fit in.

As for the FI system he will need to strip a FI bus rear wiring harness, relays, fuel pump, hoses, basically everything a later FI bay has in the rear. First off Barryman, how mechanically inclined are you? The conversion can be done, has been done, only you can evaluate the feasability of whether you want to do it. Might be a good idea to play with the bus the way it is, grow with it, then delve into the world of fiddling about.

Have no fear of the Weber, they work, it can be tuned, a bit tempermental in the winter but if it is what you got, run it.

My current setup is a weber w/pertronix and svda, it works well enough but I know FI will be more fuel efficient and a smoother, more powerful ride. The trans I pulled out of a stuffed up '76 along with the engine & steering box so I can sit on it for a while...keep it as a spare I guess. The bus with the 914 engine sat for 9 years so I'm going to drain the tank & clean the snooze out of it. I figured I could pull the engine & trans when I did that (to make the fuel tank pull easier) and just swap in the 091 when I get everything back in. I've got the clutch, pp & flywheel from the other 2.0L. 228mm I believe. I would much rather prefer to have FI though, but I guess that can wait until I come across a good setup.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it sat for nine years, after draining the oil, removing the filter, pull the screen and inspection plate, you may have to roll it onto the flywheel (remove the lower bellhousing studs) take a peek inside as best you can. If a lot of water comes out, grey sludgy oil there may be further issues. Also remove the valve covers, should not be any rust on any of the parts. If everything looks okay, put the screen and inspection plate back on, new filter and filler up with oil. Pop the spark plugs, with a flashlight look inside the chambers, you are looking for rust and corrosion. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the chambers, rotate the engine without the plugs by hand. If all turns well, if possible mount the tranny in order to crank the engine over via the starter, without the plugs, with a test light from the oil pressure sender to the battery + you should be able to crank it enough to turn the light off. If all that works, you might have a keeper for a future swap out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: