Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any experience with these tires?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Any experience with these tires? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these tires: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=457044
I'm shopping around for some new tires for my '89 and since I'll probably have to order something I'd like to hear what people think of these. I saw them listed on ratwell but that's about it. The other contender is probably the vanco 8's if I can still get them. Thanks

Last edited by Herr Motorspiele on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this over in the tire section on Westfalia.org:

"...I ended up going with a tire called Capitol - according to the June 1 Tire Review, this brand is made by two different companies: Sumitomo and Nexen. The ones I have are marked "Made in Korea" so I'll assume they originated with Nexen.

I bought them from a local dealer of the Tire Pros in Costa Mesa, CA; he got them from his warehouse in about 24 hours.

They are 185R14C, load rating 'D', 8 ply. Total cost on the car, was $65 p/tire, or $267+tax. I will drive them for awhile, then post back with results/opinions/experiences."

I haven't driven them enough to report on quality, but they hold air, keep me on the road, and are considerably firmer than the scary-squishy tires that came with the bus (and were not up to spec).

Best,

Lanval

I should add, BTW that I live in SoCal, and so year-round summer tires are OK here. I go to Oregon once a year, but I have chains, and this year I'll probably go the coast route anyway. These tires look like fine summer radials to me, but I wouldn't take 'em too far off the beaten path.

L
dokarex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them on my doka and don't notice much difference in the ride from the hankooks that were on it
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dokarex,

Can I take it the Hankooks were appropriately rated? I.e. you're saying that these tires are similar in ride quality to correctly rated Hankooks?

Thanks,

Lanval
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
Dokarex,

Can I take it the Hankooks were appropriately rated? I.e. you're saying that these tires are similar in ride quality to correctly rated Hankooks?

Thanks,

Lanval

Ditto. I'm really wanting to know how these compare to other "properly rated" tires out there since they are about the same price and I have to ship whatever I get anyway. No tire shop around here has a clue or is willing to order anything for me. I've heard everything from, "we can only get you a trailer tire" to "why do you want that kind of tire anyway?" Needless to say the locals aren't very helpful. Sad Sears can get the BFG AT or the Bridgestone dueler, but he didn't know which one! According to Tire Rack there are ~18 different dueler models and he said he wouldn't know until it came in. So maybe he was just lazy. Rolling Eyes Another local chain claimed to carry the Vanco 8 but quoted a set of 4 for $620! Shocked Anyone have a set of 15" wheels for sale? Wink
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the tire quality but something you might want to consider is, at 185 those tires are really skinny and I found that size to look hilarious on the already top heavy Westy
I exchanged them for 195's and was much happier
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those came with my Westy when I bought it. I was kinda concerned because I never heard of them. Did net searching & felt a little at ease. Drove 'em for about a year with not complaints/concerns.
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58,

I actually agree with you - and that fits my general theory that OEM isn't necessarily best practice. The 185s, while meeting OEM standards, aren't necessarily the best tire you could run.

In this case, there aren't a lot of cheap and readily available solutions for running 15/16 in. wheels, and for me, money was an issue. So I went with OEM size, low end tires, knowing that I'm going to be driving in good weather, on the road, and more local than long distance. That said, between now and the next set of tires, I'll be getting some 15/16 in. wheels, so that I'm not biting the whole bullet at once.

Best,

Lanval
dokarex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they have the same ratings as the Hankooks that were on it when I imported it from Germany
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the vanco 8 185r14
too skinny?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the horsepower to spare you can also go for a 195R14 or a 205R14. Just a little bit taller.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08195

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=COMTRAC205
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 185r14's may have appeared to look like toothpicks under the Westy because the tires I was replacing were 195's
I was looking to save a little money by downsizing but the savings didn't justify the aesthetics or the handling
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running worn 195's, my last van had 205's, and I've test driven 185's. Ride is hard to call but the 195's seem alright besides being old and tired. 185's seemed rail-like Very Happy, and the 205's weren't reinforced so they were pretty squishy due to the low max psi I guess. Plus I blew a couple out at highway speed Shocked I do like the looks of the 205's though.

Last edited by Herr Motorspiele on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Nexen SV820's on since last summer, through a Canadian winter. They're a decent tire, nice ride, great price. An all season radial, they did alright in the snow, but I'll say it would be nice if Hakkapellittas weren't so damn pricey! Sometimes we had a bit of difficulty getting going on really slippery stuff, having to rock back and forth to get momentum built when traction was minimal.

I have the 185s, and I don't mind the look, you get used to it after a short while.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, how do the BFG AT's (27x8.50) ride on a 2wd with 14" alloys? Is there significantly more noise? What about rubbing? Decreased performance or acceleration due to inertia, tire weight, manual vs. auto trans, etc.? I used to have a set of BFG mud terrains on a 4wd truck and they roared but I never got stuck! The AT's are plenty reinforced right? Anyone with experience? I've seen more and more on the 2wd's recently, maybe cuz I'm tire shopping. This is one I can get locally and I really like the tread. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: