Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help please
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: help please Reply with quote

Hi, I have been trying to help my son out (19 yrs. old) the problem is he has a '96 GTI with a 2.0 (80A ? ) and an automatic transmission ( CLK ? )that he has replaced and now needs to find out how much and what type of fluid goes back into the thing, he has already purchased a transmission filter ( $$$ ) kit but where he bought it couldnt say what kind and how much fluid to use. I tried a search on this site but it didnt help me too much, so if anyone knows where to look it up or better yet any practical correct information, it would be greatly appreciated and if you're ever nearby, stop by and we could have a beer ( or 2 ) together,,, Thanks, Peace, Moosie Blue Bus
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try VWVortex.....probably have better luck there.

Good luck
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the easiest source for that info is a VW dealer. Just call with the model of trans and they should be able to help you.
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your Auto transmission have a dip stick? If now that Auto trans takes a mineral oil from the dealer. Cost about 15+ or so bucks a liter...

Pentosin also sell this mineral oil part # G052 162 A2 but is hard to find in the retail market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: help please Reply with quote

moosie982 wrote:
Hi, I have been trying to help my son out (19 yrs. old) the problem is he has a '96 GTI with a 2.0 (80A ? ) and an automatic transmission ( CLK ? )that he has replaced and now needs to find out how much and what type of fluid goes back into the thing, he has already purchased a transmission filter ( $$$ ) kit but where he bought it couldnt say what kind and how much fluid to use. I tried a search on this site but it didnt help me too much, so if anyone knows where to look it up or better yet any practical correct information, it would be greatly appreciated and if you're ever nearby, stop by and we could have a beer ( or 2 ) together,,, Thanks, Peace, Moosie Blue Bus

According to my Mk III Bentley (my daily is a '96 GTI VR6) the 096 automatic trans takes 3 liters (3.2 quarts) of Dexron II or III fluid. The 01M also requires 3 liters, but the Bentley is specific in that Dexron should not be used and only VW synthetic should be used (pages 0-26 through 0-28 for those following at home).

As far as I can tell the 2 different transmissions were used interchangeably between the 2.0 and the VR so make sure which trans you have before filling.

As much as everyone here recommends the Bentley for their Vans I am an equal advocate for one with the MK III if you don't already have one.
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You all so far, I think he said he has a Bentley manual but like most 19 yr. old college kids finding it may be difficult, I use one for repairs and maintainance items on my Vanagon, it is helpful. Peace,,,Moosie Blue Bus
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On these 2 different trannys it's safe to say if it has a dip stick it will take Dextron, if not then VW fluid..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: