Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace rear heater core "T" w/ 5/8" T ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Replace rear heater core "T" w/ 5/8" T ? Reply with quote

Rusted T fittings on my 84 westy 1.9 Ltr.As you know the T is 3/4" on two of the ends,and the end going to the rear heater core is 1/2".The nipple on the heater core is also 3/4".Have had trouble getting one of the rear heater core hose VW part #255 265 591.Why not replace factory T with one 5/8" and then use 5/8" hose to the heater core in place of the VW one.Anyone ever done this ?
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot or Van Cafe stock the plastic T's. Also try Bus Boys and GoWesty. Vanagain too! Some won't show the T's on the Web sites, call and all will be well.

Best bet is to stick with OEM.

My .02's
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tikibus,I have the plastic VW "T"s , it is the $70.00 hose I am trying to get around.Part # 255 265 591
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops.

My Bad.

Napa might have the hose.

Also try Gates hose. Get to a Tractor Trailer repair shop and ask around.

BMW and Audi repair shops may have stock hose to cut to length.

I'm kinda in the same pickle, had to cut the hoses when doing my rehabilitation to the V last winter. Hoses are rather stretched to the limit!
Shocked
1984 Westy - Tiki
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,tried Napa,the guys at my local Napa are not the sharpest of parts helpers,been to that store several times this week,have never got what I needed.Napa says they have the hose, but it will not fit. The hose I need is smaller on the one end that connects to the "T" ,7/16" ID,and the end that connects to the heater core is 5/8" inner diameter.Went to the VW dealer parts Dept,his search turned up, 1 in Henderson,NV, one? In all of the USA?He said it will take a week to get here.$57.00
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just not right!

Could try www.CIP1.com

Frank Condelli and Assoc.'s in Canada.

There is a parts place in AZ, but I can't remember the name... German Autohaus?

Double turds on the hunt for the hose, man.
1984 Westy - Tiki
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you know the T is 3/4" on two of the ends,and the end going to the rear heater core is 1/2".The nipple on the heater core is also 3/4".

If this is the case, why not use a 3/4" brass barbed tee, and 3/4" ID heater hose. There's a restrictor in the rear heater core fitting anyway, so what size hose you use doesn't alter the flow rate there (too much and you don't get good flow to the front core). Brass will never ever need to be replaced, and you can find barbed tees at the home supply stores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tencentlife,Thats what I am going to try.Restrictor in that hose eh? I have been wondering and asking what that little plastic insert was I found on the one hose I have that comes off the top nipple of the rear heater core.Should the bottom hose have the same restrictor insert ? I have a picture of the offending hose and said insert in my gallery.Please take a look,and give me your thoughts.Thanks much,Mark
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need one restrictor, and it shouldn't matter which short rear heater core hose, feed or return, it is put in, as long as it stays put. Without it, if you have the rear heater control valve fully open, you would get a diminished flow to the front heater. Since front heat and defrost is priority, this reduces the maximum volume of coolant that can go thru the rear core's sub-circuit, so there is better flow available at the front.

So all the hoses could be 3/4" ID? I'm contemplating replacing those tees myself at some point, before I have an unpleasant surprise, and I'd sure prefer using brass pipe barbs to any more plastic. Let me know if that works out. You are my guinea pig.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/model.aspx?makeid=800026&year=All
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me correctly the main heater hoses are 5/8 and not 3/4. The hose to the back heater is 1/2 on one end and 5/8 on the other. Hunt and find a 5/8 hose with a 90° bend molded into one end and use the 90 to connect to the heat valve. This will eliminate the force on the heater that causes the o-ring on the valve to leak.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember, myself. I had the rear heater out some years ago, put in a new core, and haven't had any trouble with it, so I'm going on sagebus's estimation of the pipe sizes. I'm sure when the day comes I'll have to figure it out myself again, since there's no way I'll remember this little bit of arcana way down the road (he types with fingers crossed).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: