Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical/ignition connection part ID
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Electrical/ignition connection part ID Reply with quote

I'm re-wiring my ignition and electrical system to accomodate a Hy-fire CDI. Before I remove this part out of the system, can anyone tell me what its purpose is? VW part no 211 035 257. It provides switched +12 volt power to the positive terminal on the coil. I tested it with a multimeter, and there doesn't appear to be a resistor in it - a full 12 volts passed through.

So, what is the purpose of it? Is it just a fancy way to connect to the coil?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know this looks like a wiring nightmare, but I actually do know what everything is for!!

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trackwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENTSTOERFILTER = interferance filter so it must be to suppress electrical noise for the radio?
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds reasonable. Where did you come up with ENTSTOERFILTER? I did a part number search at bus depot, and at Cip1, to no avail.

I think I'll try leaving it out for now - the CDI and new suppression plug wires should take care of things. Thanks.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trackwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Bosch part # o 290 002 029 and it came up with several german language based websites talking about this part but one had a english section. Wink
captnbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well which one had the english. love fereting out these part # sites.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it appears that I didn't/don't need that part for the CDI. I got it all hooked up this afternoon after regapping plugs to .045, resistorless rotor, and wired it up according to a link I found on Ratwell's site:
http://www.shagadelic.org/pod/archives/000029.html

Fired right up, first time, and drove great on a 10 mile highway trip and a cruise around town. I set the rev limiter to 4750.

In case anyone is wondering - I did NOT need the tach adapter, or a special FI adapter. My VDO tach works fine connected directly to the yellow wire from the Hyfire (actually I bought the slightly cheaper Summit Racing CDI box - made by Mallory, and equivalent to the Hyfire 6AL). I'll test it out further and check gas mileage this weekend on a camping trip to PEI.

Meyer wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: