Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Going for a little different look on my Ghia. Took the beauty rings off, and added the decals. I had the rims powder coated when I got the car, but you wouldn’t know it because surface rust has returned, but that seems to fit the Patina of the car. The hub caps are original to the car, rust was eating away at the chrome and made the surface rough, so I sanded it all off, some of the copper is still showing, I never knew the chroming process involved copper as well as nickel, no wonder it’s expensive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Chrome doesn’t adhere well to steel. Copper plating does but chrome doesn’t stick to that either so there is a layer of nickel in between this the term “triple plating”, copper, nickel, chrome.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Mustard and mayos are so beyond their freshness date - Kethcup is what all the cool kids are riding on today.

I don't relish the idea.

bryan
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
Mustard and mayos are so beyond their freshness date - Kethcup is what all the cool kids are riding on today.

I don't relish the idea.

bryan
No Bun intended Rolling Eyes

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Since y’all brat it up, lettuce see who can get us out of this pickle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tepache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Stock rims . Dropped 2.5 stock beam. 175/65 up front and 185/65r 15 in back. (With portawalls) 2 clicks in the rear. Had to shave off some of the inner fender metal, since i had rubbing upon turning. Now, rides perfect, and i think its perfect height for daily driving.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

My 62 Ghia on 17x7 BRMs
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
My 62 Ghia on 17x7 BRMs

Great photo with all those colours - from the sky to the foreground.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

That is a beautiful car. Nice job!
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Steelies with moon discs, baby!

(meh, I dunno... they're cool but I might go back to the turtlebacks)
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

5.5 & 4.5 chromies for now with 175/65r15 & 205/65r15
flghiaprs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
My 62 Ghia on 17x7 BRMs

Beautiful car great job. Could you provide some details on your set up? I have a 69 I am working on. Thanks
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

Just stock and damn happy. Does that count?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

flghiaprs wrote:
Chip B. wrote:
My 62 Ghia on 17x7 BRMs

Beautiful car great job. Could you provide some details on your set up? I have a 69 I am working on. Thanks

Thanks!
4 inch narrowed lowered beam, dropped spindles, drum brakes, 3/8 spacers up front to clear the dust covers. Rear has a stock 62 narrow axle setup with bolt on drop plates, probably 3 inch ones. I didn't set the rear up, so I can say for sure. I have 1 inch spacers to get the wheels away from the inner fender wells. I can't remember the tires exactly, I think 215/50 17 and 205/45 17s or so.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

making sure this one won't fall prey to photobucket:
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
making sure this one won't fall prey to photobucket:

A nice set of Porsche 2 litre Pedrinis, if I'm not mistaken.

Where did you find those centre caps my friend?
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
A nice set of Porsche 2 litre Pedrinis Fuchs, if I'm not mistaken.
fixed the typo; and here I am envious of you with Pedrinis Wink

kiwighia68 wrote:
I don't recall where I bought them, but this vendor appears to have your set in stock: https://www.jbugs.com/product/WBC-2.html. I had fun painting the recessed wolf red, water blue, and outer circle to match the car Very Happy
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rims Do You Have On Your Ghia? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
A nice set of Porsche 2 litre Pedrinis Fuchs, if I'm not mistaken.
fixed the typo; and here I am envious of you with Pedrinis :wink:

kiwighia68 wrote:
I don't recall where I bought them, but this vendor appears to have your set in stock: https://www.jbugs.com/product/WBC-2.html. I had fun painting the recessed wolf red, water blue, and outer circle to match the car :D

Thanks for the link. (The genuine Porsche caps for Pedrinis are $80 plus each out here down under Down-Under! Ouch!)

I'll take some measurements and order a set today. Then I'm going to follow your example to paint the caps to match my Ghia.
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: ghia stock colors Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
August '66 Production saw the four bolt wheel and front discs introduced on the Karmann Ghia Type 14.

I like stock wheels and trim rings best on any vintage of Karmann Ghia. I think Porsche rims tell the world that the owner of the car wished it were a Porsche, and I also think most if not all of the aftermarket designs of wheels look unharmonious with the elegant lines of the Karmann Ghia. But then again, I don't like "brash," "edgy," or "in yer face" design/music/culture/anything. There's enough "attitude" in the world already. Just my $0.02

Im wondering if Ghias ever came with rims painted the color of the car? from what I can gather, unlike the beetles, Ghias all came stock with black outer rims & beauty rings. the inner rim color varied slightly. is this correct?

Last edited by 61karmann on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia stock colors Reply with quote

tony7 wrote:
retrowagen wrote:
August '66 Production saw the four bolt wheel and front discs introduced on the Karmann Ghia Type 14.

I like stock wheels and trim rings best on any vintage of Karmann Ghia. I think Porsche rims tell the world that the owner of the car wished it were a Porsche, and I also think most if not all of the aftermarket designs of wheels look unharmonious with the elegant lines of the Karmann Ghia. But then again, I don't like "brash," "edgy," or "in yer face" design/music/culture/anything. There's enough "attitude" in the world already. Just my $0.02

I'm wondering if Ghias ever came with rims painted the color of the car? from what I can gather, unlike the beetles, Ghias all came stock with black outer rims & beauty rings. the inner rim color varied slightly. is this correct?

A great many came with silver painted wheels from the factory. I believe this may have started when the wheels went to 4-lug. I guess it depends on the year as to how the wheels were painted. I have seen a few Ghia's where the owners choose to paint wheels to match the body, mine included.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 44

Jump to: