Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annoying squeak; front or rear?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Annoying squeak; front or rear? Reply with quote

For about two months now I've had an annoying squeak. I'm not sure if it's the front or the rear. At first I thought it was the front. Since it started happening, I have lowered the car and EVERY single item on the front end is new/replaced. I still have the same exact squeak. I'm not sure how it could be exactly the same with no old components on the front-end.

It a continuous on/off squeaking squeal that happens while coasting to a stop/braking, and also low RPMs and loading the engine (like 2000rpm in 4th gear). I believe it is coming from the rear now. Not the front.

Could it be rear shocks?

Spring plate bushings? (The ones in there are OLD original rubber)

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

decobugma07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my 68 bug when I replaced the rear torsion bar bushing to those uretane type. I when I whent back to the stock type (black) and no more squeeking. Now I am going to replace the KYB shocks to original type. Those KYB are to hard of a drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear has essentially been "untouched" since I bought the car. Other than CV joint maintenance.

Previous:

DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the question. Do you have eurethane bushings or mounts anywhere on the car ? It's a little difficult to diagnose if even you don't know if it is front or rear. Start spraying anything you can get at with a liberal dose of silicone spray one section at a time to try to isolate it. A shock with a dried up seal can drive you nuts trying to find a squeak.
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new front end has urethane outer bushings. The sway-bar bushings are also urethane. The front end has been completely greased.

What's confusing me is I had the same exact squeak with complete stock front-end and rubber bushings about two weeks ago. Every component on the front end has been replaced since (beam,arms,sway bar,steering box,etc).

I've got new rear shocks and spring-plate bushings, but haven't gotten around to installing them.

Previous:

John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out to be a loose rear drum. Phew. Smile

Previous:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: