Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon jail bars?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Why didnt you send the damaged set back to Bus Depot. They were good enough to send you a replacement set based on your word that they were damaged.
That sounds pretty cool of them to do that for you, why not man up and reciprocate on the courtesy and ship them back.

It's a pretty harsh thing to say without knowing the facts of the situation. Did you ever think the offer was made and Bus Depot didn't want them back? Why assume the worst of someone you don't even know?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
1621 wrote:
I ordered a set from Bus Depot a couple years ago. They came in a shipping tube, bent across the end. Hmmmm... guess what the bars looked like inside? Called up and they sent out another set - same thing. The third set they sent finally made it unscathed - it helps to pack the shipping tube with some form of protection.

Now I've got an extra couple sets of bent bars and mounting hardware. Perhaps I'll hack them up and try the side bars. Or not.

If you're lucky, you could end up with a 'free' set of side bars just like me! Very Happy

Why didnt you send the damaged set back to Bus Depot. They were good enough to send you a replacement set based on your word that they were damaged.
That sounds pretty cool of them to do that for you, why not man up and reciprocate on the courtesy and ship them back.

Easy there big boy... Rolling Eyes

They didn't want them back, they took the insurance from the carrier. UPS didn't want the mangled jail bars either. Not even sure why they're still in my basement because they're no good for anybody.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
RCB wrote:
1621 wrote:
I ordered a set from Bus Depot a couple years ago. They came in a shipping tube, bent across the end. Hmmmm... guess what the bars looked like inside? Called up and they sent out another set - same thing. The third set they sent finally made it unscathed - it helps to pack the shipping tube with some form of protection.

Now I've got an extra couple sets of bent bars and mounting hardware. Perhaps I'll hack them up and try the side bars. Or not.

If you're lucky, you could end up with a 'free' set of side bars just like me! Very Happy

Easy there big boy... Rolling Eyes

They didn't want them back, they took the insurance from the carrier. UPS didn't want the mangled jail bars either. Not even sure why they're still in my basement because they're no good for anybody.

Big Boy currently at ease, sir
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
RCB wrote:

It's a pretty harsh thing to say without knowing the facts of the situation. Did you ever think the offer was made and Bus Depot didn't want them back? Why assume the worst of someone you don't even know?

Your correct and I stand corrected. Currently removing foot from mouth.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:
RCB wrote:

Your correct and I stand corrected. Currently removing foot from mouth.

No worries.
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do anyone over there have the side jailbars? The side ones are pretty common here, but the rear window ones are rare, I hae never seen or heard of them over here.

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:
Do anyone over there have the side jailbars? The side ones are pretty common here, but the rear window ones are rare, I hae never seen or heard of them over here.

I have never seen a set of side jailbars on any vanagon except for the one in the pictures i posted on the previous page. I would really like a set of those. They are very different from the side jailbars that busdepot sells.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't se those pictures Embarassed Those side jailbars are definatly not home maid, i have the same ones (and maybe the worlds only middle side window jailbars, fabricated by a P.O.). I find them very useful ti strap stuff to in the back. I'll take some pic's but my camera does not cooperate these days so it might take some time.

Ex-vans:

ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of the stock vanagon jailbars. Had a little trouble taking a pic from the outside, the tint appears darker than it really is:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rear seat is a bit in the way

Front end:

Rear end:

The one in the middle window is a mod done by a PO:

I find them pretty useful for strapping in my "toolbox":

And this is the van:

I'm pretty sure the jailbars came wit this one originally. The coach is a "special" model found only in Norway, Sweden and Finland. It came with the plastic bumpers and skirts, carat springs,front seats with adjustable armrests, improved sound insulation and so on. This one has a lot of stuff added by PO's too.

Ex-vans:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked

Those side bars are burly looking! I'd feel safe bungee cording my kids to those things!

I've never seen anything like those before. Are those really stock?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe stock in a van with a roll bar in it. Shocked
The roll bar/plexiglass looks like it would work great to keep luggage in the back where it belongs. I guess the seat doesn't fold into a bed like the US spec. rear seats do.
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rollbar seat is a norwegian thing. Tax laws at the time allowed for a considarable tax reduction (tax for a norwegian passenger car was and still is very high) if it was registered as a "combined car" for both person and goods transport. This required the "trunk" space to be over a certain volume and that there were some kind of solid wall between the trunk and the passenger compartment. Originally the seat sat about a meter further to the front, meaning the jailbars has nothing to do with the seats:

And yes, the seat does not fold down, I'm looking for a folding seat to replace it but they are rare.

Ex-vans:

airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:

ok, that's just awesome, for some. I have a big hairy dog that sheds like crazy and when I want to bring him with to the beach, that rear area would be perrrrrrrrfect. can't jump over the seats at all.

also I think those side jailbars are sturdier than actual bars on a jail cell, damn.

the other ones are BS showoff stuff, but you could actually USE these ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: