Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building 1835cc engine - need some advice
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Building 1835cc engine - need some advice Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm building a new engine and I need some input/advice on it. Especially if any pro engine builders out there can tell me that this will in fact work and that I will end up with an engine that will run on pump gas (premium is okay). And before you burn me, yes, I'm a novice and no I'm not building the engine by myself. Don't hate!

It's a 1600cc bug block. Here's what I want to do:

AA 92mm pistons/cylinders
Engle 120 cam
Performance crankshaft (not sure what stroke I'll need...)
1:25 ratio rocker arms

The heads will be sent down to AJ Sims at lowbugget, along with the manifolds to all be ported/machined and set up with dual springs. I'm also having them rebuild the dual 40mm Kads at the same time. I know I'll need chromoly pushrods and assorted other goodies, but these are the basics.

I'm having the head tapped for full flow and am going with an upgraded oil pump.

Can anyone tell me if they see any problems with this or suggest a crankshaft to go with all of this? Thanks ahead of time. Smile
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start with your easiest question. For an 1835cc engine, if you use the 92mm pistons, then the stroke works out to be 69mm. That is the same stroke as a stock VW 1600cc type 1 engine. The 1600 uses 85.5 pistons with the 69mm stroke to get an actual 1584cc.

Your cam, heads and carb choices will allow the engine to easily exceed 5000rpm, generally regarded as the safe upper limit for a stock factory crankshaft. Such cranks that came in the engines in Beetles made in Germany (all those officially imported to the USA) were forged steel, had 4 dowel pins to hold the flywheel (also forged), and the crankshaft was not counterweighted.

Most people would strongly recommend that you buy a crank that is forged, counterweighted and has 8 dowel pins. The counterweights come into play at higher engine revolutions to balance out the mass of the connecting rod ends and the crank itself. Some companies can weld steel counterweights onto a stock factory crankshaft; this is called a "welded forged counterweight crank". Any stroke beyond the stock 69mm would be considered a "stroker crank". Both 69mm as well as some stroker cranks are available as CAST steel which is not as strong as FORGED steel. So read the crank descriptions carefully.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that definitely helps.

So the Scat Volksracer crank (forged/8-dowel) is a 69mm - I'll search to find out opinions on it. So is it not possible to run a stroker crank then with the 92mm pistons?

Other than that do you see anything else I am missing or need to consider? Thanks guys. I'm not an idiot, and I'm not new to VW's, I just haven't built an engine before. Confused
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ask AJ for a full combo to go with the heads , he knows how they flow and what they like.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So is it not possible to run a stroker crank then with the 92mm pistons? "

Umm, a stroker crank has nothing to do with the size of the pistons; you can run a larger stroker crank like 82mm with stock 85.5 pistons. But there are lots of factors to consider. Stroker cranks for VW type 1 engines are currently available in 74mm, 76, 78, 82 and even larger. the larger the stroke, the more leverage you are adding to the crank every time the spark plug fires, so that you are producing more torque on the crankshaft.

Larger pistons like 90.5, the 92's and 94 come with 2 different wrist pin dimensions; those for larger stroke cranks are generally referred to as "stroker" piston sets or "B" pistons. The wrist pins are about 1/4" closer to the top of the piston surface on those than on the "stock" set or "A" pistons. This is done so that when you choose a stroker crank that has about 6-8mm (about 1/4") longer stroke than stock, the engine is not too wide when fully assembled.

For your first engine, I suggest to keep your 69mm stroke. Build it carefully, plan your desired compression ratio and build the engine accordingly. Pay attention to your rocker geometry and upgrade your valvetrain as needed. Once the engine is together and running (tremendous ego boost), then consider your next engine as a stroker.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - yeah, I got the difference between a stroker and regular crank. Smile Just wasn't clear on what he was saying in the above post.

Anyhow, I appreciate it - been a lot of help.

I went with:
Scat Volksracer 69mm forged counter-weighted crank
Scat Pro-series forged 1:25 ratio rocker arm kit
Engle 110 cam
AA 94mm (1914cc) cylinders/pistons

Last edited by Corwin on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest going up to 94 P/C's, but it looks like you beat me to the punch in your last post, there. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
I was going to suggest going up to 94 P/C's, but it looks like you beat me to the punch in your last post, there. Wink

Yeah, I figured if I'm going to have to bore out the case I might as well go as big as possible. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: