Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What beer are you drinking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Any beers out there for a guy with the diabeetus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Couple I tried.. mmmm

Bird Song Brewing...
"Fake Plastic Trees" draft..
It was bright and delicious. Only available June - August.
Think clouded bright wheat style

Legion Brewing.
"Juicy Jay IPA"
Nice IPA.. good dry finish.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nelson Brewing Company , Nelson BC Canada
Happy Camper Summer Ale
great art work smooth beer
www.nelsonbrewing.com
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Been drinking a lot of Fort Point beers lately. Someone already posted this I think but its definitely a nice red ale. All their beers have been great.

Also saw this at the store but did not buy. Pomegranate Lemonade Wheat Ale?? I did like the art.

1977 Westfalia Weekender Tintop (very first car - SOLD Sad )
1992 VW Corrado VR6 (SOLD)
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Had one of these last night. Not bad, but not great either. Worth a try, though.

Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

We liked BrewDog's "Dog E" 16.1% Imperial Stout brewed with Naga chilis. We sampled it at their brew pub in Edinburgh Scotland, just below the Royal Mile. It scores 100 on RateBeer.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewdog-dog-d/338584/

Last edited by Gurn Blanston on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

We also enjoyed Fuller's Imperial Stout (10.7%) at several pubs in London. It scores 100 on RateBeer too.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/fuller39s-imperial-stout-107/226113/

Last edited by Gurn Blanston on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

All fine and dandy drinking this store bought swill but have you ever tried your hand at making your own? Once you get past the start up cost you can make very good beer at home at a fraction of the cost. A very good friend of mine used a modified V-8 engine stand that used a stainless keg at the top with a heating element inside. Filled the tank night before set heater to 160 degrees early AM using gravity flow the heated water drains down over a bed of cracked grains(barley) using a recirculating pump it goes round and round to extract the enzymes from the grain then into another stainless keg atop a propane turkey fryer. Bring to boil add hops as desired cook about an hour, skim off the crap. Then using a heat exchanger chill it down to about 70 degrees and transfer to five gallon plastic vessel, pitch the yeast and install bubbler. Place in a cool dark place to ferment, come back after 10 days skim off the crap and place in the korny keg for secondary fermentation, about 21 days in all. Hit it with Co2 have a drink. Forget bottles too much labor, most serious brewers move to kegs eventually this also lessens the chance of contamination. You must make an effort to maintain cleanliness.

Very very easy, much easier than building VW engines Very Happy once you are geared up you run 10 to 20 gallon batches and dispense into stainless 5 gallon Korny kegs or 2 gallon growlers. You will be the toast of the neighborhood and as I was saying you can get price down to about 10 cents a serving. Start with ales, progress into lagers and beyond there’s an entire movement of craft brewers working out of their homes. Barnes and Noble has a few magazines dedicated to this topic. As with many things in life having a working knowledge of how it’s done gives greater appreciation of the finished product. Either way it’s fun and we win Very Happy
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
All fine and dandy drinking this store bought swill but have you ever tried your hand at making your own? Once you get past the start up cost you can make very good beer at home at a fraction of the cost. A very good friend of mine used a modified V-8 engine stand that used a stainless keg at the top with a heating element inside. Filled the tank night before set heater to 160 degrees early AM using gravity flow the heated water drains down over a bed of cracked grains(barley) using a recirculating pump it goes round and round to extract the enzymes from the grain then into another stainless keg atop a propane turkey fryer. Bring to boil add hops as desired cook about an hour, skim off the crap. Then using a heat exchanger chill it down to about 70 degrees and transfer to five gallon plastic vessel, pitch the yeast and install bubbler. Place in a cool dark place to ferment, come back after 10 days skim off the crap and place in the korny keg for secondary fermentation, about 21 days in all. Hit it with Co2 have a drink. Forget bottles too much labor, most serious brewers move to kegs eventually this also lessens the chance of contamination. You must make an effort to maintain cleanliness.

Very very easy, much easier than building VW engines Very Happy once you are geared up you run 10 to 20 gallon batches and dispense into stainless 5 gallon Korny kegs or 2 gallon growlers. You will be the toast of the neighborhood and as I was saying you can get price down to about 10 cents a serving. Start with ales, progress into lagers and beyond there’s an entire movement of craft brewers working out of their homes. Barnes and Noble has a few magazines dedicated to this topic. As with many things in life having a working knowledge of how it’s done gives greater appreciation of the finished product. Either way it’s fun and we win Very Happy

I suspect that's how a lot of craft breweries got started.

I myself, don't drink "swill". I have no use for the fizzy low-alcohol urine-colored semi-fermented formaldehyde-smelling rice-water marketed by mega-breweries as a potable liquid. That stuff isn't for people who like beer- it's for people who like to pee a lot. I'd rather drink water. Life is just too short to drink bad beer. One of the major clues here, is that if it can only be served ice-cold, that's probably because it tastes bad, and the low serving temperature is used to mask that.

Just about all home-brewed beer I have tried, has been great. Maybe they're just not sharing the ones that don't turn out well, but I think it more likely just comes down to the fact that they care about what they're doing. And a lot of times, they are brave beers.

We're seeing that within the craft brewing industry also- Rogue has their Sriracha Hot Stout, their Voodoo Donut Bacon Maple Ale, their Marionberry Sour, their Pumpkin Patch Ale, their Double Chocolate Stout, their Fruit Salad Cider, their Voodoo Donut Lemon Chiffon Crueller Ale, their Voodoo Donut Grape Guerrilla Ale, their Voodoo Donut Mango Astronaut Ale, their Voodoo Donut Chocoloate Peanut Butter & Banana Ale, their Voodoo Donut Pretzel Raspberry & Chocolate Ale, and many others. Some of them are merely interesting, and some of them are great.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

How about just a nice stout with a good head ? Too many ingredients sounds more like dessert.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
How about just a nice stout with a good head ? Too many ingredients sounds more like dessert.

What kind of stout are you referring to? Most stouts are not fizzy at all. The only kind I can think of that does, is the nitrogenated Guinness Draught, which is an Irish Dry Stout. Irish Dry Stouts are very different from other stouts.

Guinness makes almost 50 different beers, but when most lay people in America think of "Guinness", it is Guinness Draught that they're thinking of- it does very well in the U.S., because although many lay people think of it as being a pretty serious beer because it is dark in color, it is in reality just a watery, low-alcohol (about 4%) beverage with carbon dioxide forced into it to make it fizzy, and it is typically served ice cold. It doesn't rate highly on Beer Advocate or Rate Beer.

If I'm going to drink something from Guinness, I'll typically seek out something like their 7.5% Foreign Extra Stout (not the regular "Extra Stout"). The Foreign Extra Stout rates an "Exceptional" on Beer Advocate, and a 94 on Rate Beer.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
I have no use for the for low-alcohol urine-colored semi-fermented formaldehyde-smelling rice-water marketed by mega-breweries as a potable liquid. That stuff isn't for people who like beer- it's for people who like to pee a lot. I'd rather drink water. Life is just too short to drink bad beer.

Second time you’ve used this description, did you borrow it from someone you admire? Sounds like a passage from a beer snob critic magazine Very Happy actually the commercial beers have quite a large following and fill a need in the market. Some folks drink on purpose so as not to become full. Who knows? I’ve used to cool off during summer mowing grass. Looked up the your user name as it sounded familiar like Les Nesman or Turd Ferguson, but turns out to be an obscure Steve Martin reference or the name of an Indie band or a cartoon character, which one? With literally thousands of different beers there’s some we like and some we don’t but all of it is good depending on preference. At the end of the day I’m just grateful to have a beer. We can drink to that😀
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Second time you’ve used this description, did you borrow it from someone you admire?

No. I respect myself, but I don't know that I could say that I "admire" myself- that sounds kind of vain.

Quote:
Sounds like a passage from a beer snob critic magazine Very Happy

I am an admitted beer snob, and literary works of mine have been published, but I've never written for a beer magazine.

Quote:
actually the commercial beers have quite a large following and fill a need in the market.

Yes, I'm painfully aware of that. About 80% of the "beer" sold in America, is marketed by ONE brewery, and just about all of it is complete crap:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/bottom/

Quote:
Some folks drink on purpose so as not to become full.

Well then they're heading the wrong direction. The guys who look 40 months pregnant, are the ones swilling down gallons of watery supermarket "beer". I'm fine with one bottle of beer, as long as it's good beer. It is not unusual for me to actually split a bottle of beer with someone else. I split a 12-ounce bottle of 16.1% Dog E with my wife in Edinburgh, and it didn't fill us up.

Quote:
Who knows? I’ve used to cool off during summer mowing grass.

I hydrate using water. It tastes better.

Quote:
Looked up the your user name as it sounded familiar like Les Nesman or Turd Ferguson, but turns out to be an obscure Steve Martin reference or the name of an Indie band or a cartoon character, which one?

Steve Martin. I was feeling obscure at the time.

Quote:
With literally thousands of different beers there’s some we like and some we don’t but all of it is good depending on preference. At the end of the day I’m just grateful to have a beer. We can drink to that😀

Absolutely! Smile

Benjamin Franklin said "Beer is proof that God loves us, and he wants us to be happy.".

Ernest Hemingway said "I drink, to make other people more interesting.".

And although I have favorite styles of beer that I like (Porters, Stouts, Imperial Porters, Imperial Stouts, Russian Imperial Stouts, etc.), and styles of beer that I merely enjoy (Winter Warmers, Barleywines, Belgian Quadrupels, etc.), and even beer styles that I just don't care for (today's ridiculously over-hopped hyper-IPAs), I can APPRECIATE a good beer- something that was skillfully crafted, by brave people who truly care about beer.

What I cannot appreciate, is "beer" that is so badly made, that it's not even really beer- American Adjunct Lagers that don't even have the ingredients to deserve being referred to as beer, American Light Lagers that are so watery and tasteless that you can't even tell them apart, American Malt Liquors that taste like carburetor solvent, and others of that general ilk.

It's not just MY personal preference- countless thousands of people from all over the world rate beers on Beer Advocate and Rate Beer, and there are remarkably consistent responses. I think that you can say, with a reasonable amount of objectivity, that North Coast Brewing Company's "Old Rasputin" is an absolute world-class beer. And conversely, I think that you can say, with a reasonable amount of objectivity, that Bud Light is truly, truly awful.

This is the trailer for a good documentary on beer:

Link

Last edited by Gurn Blanston on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:51 am; edited 4 times in total
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

I have traveled all over the world for good beer. BrewDog's 32% (64-proof) "Tactical Nuclear Penguin" Imperial Stout (aged in Single-Malt Scotch Whisky barrels) is one that I'd still like to sample:

Link
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

BrewDog then made their 41% (82-proof, as in a higher alcohol content than straight Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Whiskey) Imperial IPA:

Link
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

...and then BrewDog made their 55% (110-proof, as in flammable) "The End Of History" Belgian Ale, brewed with juniper and nettles. It is packaged in tuxedeo-wearing roadkill (I'm not kidding), and sold out instantly at about $1,000 a bottle:

Link
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Sounds wonderful, I’ll drink to that 😀
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

It doesn't always have to be "world-class"- I'm not proud.

I have no problem with stooping to "exceptional". Tonight I'm sampling Lagunitas Brewing Company's 7.5% "Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. Not surprisingly, it rates an "exceptional" on Beer Advocate, and a solid 98 on Rate Beer.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

I generally won't waste my money on any beer that doesn't rate at least a 90% score.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: What beer are you drinking Reply with quote

Little Sumpin' Sumpin has long been a favorite, along with Old Rasputin. I also like SOME of the overhopped strong IPA's, and an occasional ice cold Ranier. It all depends on the temperature, the day I have had, and what is in the beer fridge or root cellar.

I have never once checked a beer's rating on any website. I just try them to decide for myself. One thing is for sure, if it has fruit in the mix, I will refuse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 159, 160, 161  Next
Jump to:
Page 141 of 161

Jump to: