Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

simple question: oil and coolant in SoCal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: simple question: oil and coolant in SoCal Reply with quote

I'm wondering a simple thing: what oil and coolant do the Westy owners in So Cal prefer to use? Back to basics...
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: simple question: oil and coolant in SoCal Reply with quote

snowleopard wrote:
I'm wondering a simple thing: what oil and coolant do the Westy owners in So Cal prefer to use? Back to basics...

Dude....20w-50 year-round. Coolant......lot's o' choices
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your climate is simular to mine here in Florida; I run 20-50W in the warmer season, and if your temps dip down into the low 30's during the the winter, change to 10-40W during the cooler times. Otherwise run 20-50W year round.

As to coolant, use a 'non-phosphorous' coolant, and mix it 50-50 with distilled water. This keeps the heads from pitting, the major cause of the dreaded head seal coolant leaks. Flush the coolant every 2 years.

The vanagons get an unfair bad rap for having leak problems. This is due mainly from previous owners (and current) that use phosphorous based coolant. This will cause pitting in the heads, a major reason for the seals to leak. Also, Vanagons have lots of hoses, and plenty of length to the radiator. After 20 plus years of service, they will need attention.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
74Standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
As to coolant, use a 'non-phosphorous' coolant, and mix it 50-50 with distilled water. This keeps the heads from pitting, the major cause of the dreaded head seal coolant leaks. Flush the coolant every 2 years.

If you are going back too basics - take note of the distilled water comment. I wonder how many cars (not just WBX) would not have head gasket problems (just one of many other cooling problems) if this one detail was not overlooked or deamed as "no biggie".

Tap water is nasty - for your cooling system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: