Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats the name or part number for this plug?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Whats the name or part number for this plug? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As my girlfriend has my camera and having no idea when she will ever give it back, I used a photo from the gallery taken by Hitman(i.e. it is not a pic of my '89 Westy just a sample of plug location)

While looking over my engine, I found a plastic plug that has deteriated and crumbling. After hours and hours of searching for a part number or just what it is called I have come up with nothing. Can you help?

I drive a lot on gravel roads and get plenty of debris up on the topside of the engine. So plugging this up probably would be best, yes? I think one tab broke off and fell into the case. Any problems there?

Any help will be appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: plug??? Reply with quote

all vanagons I've ever seen have this hole open. Haven't had any problems with mine. But, a plug would be nice....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hole, at least on a Syncro, is where the transmission breather line system goes. There is a breather outlet on the main and forward differential, they connect and then the other end is on this hole with a plastic L tube being the terminus in this plug.

I suspect you could leave this open, unless you plan on crossing any streams or such.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike boland Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the name or part number for this plug? Reply with quote

that plastic plug covers the drive plate access hole to remove / install the bolts on the flex plate for engines with automatic transmissions. My 1991 VW Vanagon has the plastic snap in cap. you can order one from the VW dealer or just put some duct tape over the hole to keep rock out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: