Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacement sink drain / strainer found.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: replacement sink drain / strainer found. Reply with quote

okay, maybe I'm not "in the know" or I'm just easily amused, but I'm super psyched that I found a replacement sink drain at Lowes this evening, for the whopping price of $7.69

I thought I'd share since I thought some of you may have looked for an inexpensive replacement.

Apparently they used a standard sink item when they fitted the galley... the product I found is made by Keeney, and is a "Junior Duo" - bar sink strainer which has a stainless body and stainless basket w/ a rubber stopper in the bottom.

It is 1 or 2 threads longer than the original, but it still threads down all the way into the plastic piece. I was thinking of securing it to the sink with the included metal nut, then screwing the plastic piece onto it with some teflon tape.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

Did you have to order it, or did you find it a retail store? Inquiring minds...

I love it when people find standard parts that will fix a Westy. Thank you very much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't have to order it, it was there on the shelf with a dozen other sink drain assemblies. If you don't have Lowes in your area, it's pretty much the same as Home Depot, so you might try looking the next time you're there.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great score. Thanks for providing the find. That's a cheaper part, and it saves on shipping costs from having to order from a vendor.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the lip of the drain was a little too convex and caused a slight gap around the rim between it and the basin, so I spent a little time hammering the edge lip down with a piece of wood and got it to fit nice... I had to polish it a bit to remove some slight scuff marks from hitting it w/ the wood.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang....now I have to go look at mine....

You sure you could have not shined up the original one with some stainless cleaner? The rest of the parts would likely work. I bought a new Westfalia plug strainer thingie and I am sure it was like around $20. (I figgered I better get while I can still get, just like I got a spare couple of water tank "traps" (caps.))

FYI: What is the Lowe's SKU number?

I have found not all Lowe's and Homie Despots carry the same items, but if you have the SKU, they can "find" stuff for you. (EX: Insulation and bronze wool is not at all the stores.)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the old one was pretty nasty, at first glance it looked like a bunch of rust scale but now that I've scraped on it a bit with a screwdriver it may have been accumulated debris and stuff... I probably could have cleaned it up such that I wasn't so offended by it.. but nevertheless it's kinda' rough. I hadn't tried to clean it up prior to buying the new one, I just saw it there while at the store and thought it would work. The old one said "taiwan" on it - might not have been original?

sku is 0 46224 01607 6 (doubt the 0 and the 6 count, they're outside the barcode) keeney number k5421
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to post about my great find, but It looks like someone has beat me to it Smile

Well I fond it at Lowes. Paid $8.00 Bus Depot wants $32

Cheers,

Westylife.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Nice of you to pass that on! Scrubbed Winston with Barkeeper's Friend soft cleanser, trying to get his metal to a gleam. Stuff like this will help a lot of Westys do their jobs well again.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Popsvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that strainer fit the stock drain? I just finished P trap replacement don't want to pull it out again however a strainer stopper sure would be nice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: