Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

i might be getting a 60 euro but first i want to know what is special about them? are they rare? what parts do they have on them that the us bugs dont. (other than semaphores).

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare? No way. They were available to entire countries & were produced in too large of a quantity.

KpH speedometer
bumpers
bulb-type headlights
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Rare? No way. They were available to entire countries & were produced in too large of a quantity.

KpH speedometer
bumpers
bulb-type headlights
what are bulb-type headlights?

Yellowbeard wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe has a bulb insert for the headlights instead of a sealed beam like we have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulb-type headlights you are referring to are called "Pre Focus" Head lights. They are similar to our modern day halogen lamps where you just have a bulb that plugs into the reflector housing.

US cars at the time had sealed beams where the bulb filiment, reflector and cover glass were all in one sealed unit. Europe used the pre focus stuff. The bulb looks like a fat tail light bulb.

There are several different styles of pre focus lamps and if you don't know exactly what you are looking for, this can be a night mare. There is a British Pre Focus, and American pre Focus, the Ba15 Bayonet 15mm, the Ba 21d Marchal Base, the Bosch Ba20 and several others. Then to make matters worse, they were available in 4, 6, 8, and 12 volt versions.

A few years ago I had to deal with this while trying to find lamps for a british car that had Hella lamp assemblies and unmarked Bosch bulbs. I bought a few sets of the wrong style before I learned about all this stuff and discovered that Bosch had their own style.

What you need if you have to find replacemnets are the Bosch Ba20 with a 20mm base. this is a halogen replacment for the 7324, 7325 and 182 original bosch pre focus lamp used in the VW's. It is as bright as a modern sealed beam if your reflector and lens is in good shape.

But if this is going to be your daily driver, you would probably be better off replacing the headlight assemblies with US spec sealed beam type assemblies. Some of the Vintage guys would like to get a hold of those pre focus assemblies I'm sure.

Other then head lights, tail lights, semiphores and bumbers, I don't think there were any other differences.

As for how rare? my book says VW sold 112,027 sedans in 1960, but it doesn't differentiate between US sales and the rest of the world. The price....$1,565.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro or US, 1960 cars have some unique features. The front tranny mount is '60 only, the outside locking door handle is '60 only, and the steering wheel and horn ring are unique to 60 and 61 only. Certainly not a rare car, but if you can get a cool bug, regardless of year, go for it Wink !

BTW, vms38411, love your sig line Smile !

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Euro or US, 1960 cars have some unique features. The front tranny mount is '60 only, the outside locking door handle is '60 only, and the steering wheel and horn ring are unique to 60 and 61 only. Certainly not a rare car, but if you can get a cool bug, regardless of year, go for it Wink !

rare air has a 60. but i think it is usa with blinking taillights and funky looking peanut turn signals on the front instead of semaphores like my 1960 euro ragtop. the frame horns are different also by 1/8" from the factory and that is why the oil dipstick is painted yellow on handle end so you don't add too much oil. outer door handle lock has verticle key slot and end of key has a taper on it to go into slot easier. 1960 ignition switch is one year only 3 set screws instead of 4 like 59 and older-61 went to 3 push on connectors. sun visor is one year only vinal pattern and it is 1st year for the panels below the rear seat to floor(no holes and it has a strap to pull to remove them). Very Happy

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah.... I forgot about those rear seat kick panels. The ones in my '60 vert are in very good shape and still have the little vinyl pull tabs on them.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the steering wheel look like? do yall have any pictures?

Yellowbeard wrote:

KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vms38411 wrote:
what does the steering wheel look like? do yall have any pictures?

They look the same as the later ones, just the horn ring assembly is different.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn ring is thinner on '60 and '61 and very susceptible to breaking if you push on the ring too hard. Also, the way the horn ring attaches to the steering wheel and the circuit for the horn relay, as KantDriveFast mentioned. You cant just slap a non-'60 or '61 steering wheel and horn ring on and have the horn work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have some detailed pictures of the steering wheel/hornring? I'm currently searching for these parts and others for my 60 euro and want to be sure I find the right one. I've found a three wire signal switch, but I'm unsure if it's the right one for semaphores. What about part numbers? Is the type 1 parts manual online and would it have such specific information?
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the right horn ring?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=364706

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
is this the right horn ring?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=364706

If the part number ends with a "C", then yes it's a 1960-61 ring.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Euro or US, 1960 cars have some unique features. The front tranny mount is '60 only, the outside locking door handle is '60 only, and the steering wheel and horn ring are unique to 60 and 61 only.

bill may wrote:
rare air has a 60. but i think it is usa with blinking taillights and funky looking peanut turn signals on the front instead of semaphores like my 1960 euro ragtop. the frame horns are different also by 1/8" from the factory and that is why the oil dipstick is painted yellow on handle end so you don't add too much oil. outer door handle lock has verticle key slot and end of key has a taper on it to go into slot easier. 1960 ignition switch is one year only 3 set screws instead of 4 like 59 and older-61 went to 3 push on connectors. sun visor is one year only vinal pattern and it is 1st year for the panels below the rear seat to floor(no holes and it has a strap to pull to remove them). Very Happy

I think the original question was "What's the differences between euro & US-spec cars besides semaphores?"
I too can list a bunch of 1960-only odd ball variances Wink such as the fuse boxes etc.....
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

What did it read? His sig line is gone Mad
SoCalDaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: tell me everything about a 60 euro bug Reply with quote

vms38411 wrote:
what parts do they have on them that the us bugs dont. (other than semaphores).

Not an expert, but I think that a true Euro model's speedo will be in KPH, and it shouldn't have "towel bars" on the bumpers (or holes in the front apron and rear fenders for the overriders), nor a grab handle over the glove box.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: tell me everything about a 60 euro bug Reply with quote

DWJensen wrote:
vms38411 wrote:
what parts do they have on them that the us bugs dont. (other than semaphores).

Not an expert, but I think that a true Euro model's speedo will be in KPH, and it shouldn't have "towel bars" on the bumpers (or holes in the front apron and rear fenders for the overriders), nor a grab handle over the glove box.

my speedo is in kilometers,no grab handle,1 sun visor on drivers side only,no towel bar holes,2- 4 fuse fuse boxes with set screws- one is by speedo and one is for headlights it is on left side near gas tank. SE xxx is key code...mine was delivered to Berlin,Germany...

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

differences? speedo in kilometers and semaphores.. towel bars are an M-Code crash protection so they could be found on euro.. my owners manual is in German not english.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the turn signal switch? Isn't it different since it's a semaphore car? I found this swtich in my parts box. It's a three wire, but the part number is a 141XXXXXX, which I believe makes it a ghia switch. Is this one going to work?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: