Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
potentvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early and later 1960 bugs have a 4 rib front apron, just like a 59. Late 60 and early 61's have the 3 rib apron. These aprons are unique to these very late 60 and very early 61's. Later 61's have the 2 rib used up to 67. The early 61's also have the 4 bolt hood latch, just like 60 and earlier, while later 61's have a 3 bolt latch. These early 61's are neat cars with alot of unique things. The 61 you looked at is correct in having a 3 rib front apron. 60 rear apron should be an h pattern. Good luck on your purchase.
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:
Don't be too sure. The first thing they did to the euros, when they came off the boat was weld the semaphores shut. They were not D.O.T. legal. They also swapped out the headlights, speedo, and possibly the windshield for a laminated one.

I would inspect your pillars closely, to find traces of weld marks or body filler, or if the glass is out, count the layers of sheet metal in the pillar seam.

I recall someone saying they were filled with lead. Is that true and can it be removed? My '60 rag has the later model turn signals and tail lights, and holes poorly cut into the front apron to accept over rider supports. I'm curious to see what else I find when I strip it down.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen a few early 61s with a h apron as well. I think vw just used up what they had on hand. They did have the 3 finger front apron and dash grab handles as well.
Matt Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all euro beetles had a speedo with km/h.
Boom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
Ive seen a few early 61s with a h apron as well. I think vw just used up what they had on hand. They did have the 3 finger front apron and dash grab handles as well.

I have an 11\60 and it has no H Apron. I am pretty sure your right as they would use up what they had at the time mine also had the grab handle and 61's are easy to notice if they have the push on terminals and no oval tank meaning the later style front apron

67 Chubby White Chic

Düg Büg

dLk
Darthmjh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

potentvw wrote:
Early and later 1960 bugs have a 4 rib front apron, just like a 59. Late 60 and early 61's have the 3 rib apron. These aprons are unique to these very late 60 and very early 61's. Later 61's have the 2 rib used up to 67. The early 61's also have the 4 bolt hood latch, just like 60 and earlier, while later 61's have a 3 bolt latch. These early 61's are neat cars with alot of unique things. The 61 you looked at is correct in having a 3 rib front apron. 60 rear apron should be an h pattern. Good luck on your purchase.

I have a February 1960 bug and during a previous restoration the front apron was changed for a later one. I am trying to put the correct one on. However every 1960 I look at has a 3 rib apron. Do you think that my bug should have a 4 rib apron as it was made in February?
Chris vw67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: tell me everything about a 60 euro bug Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chris vw67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: tell me everything about a 60 euro bug Reply with quote

Hi ,

Have recently bought this 60 beetle ,was shipped to Cyprus after it was made and lived there for 47 years so it's pretty solid ,had 3 small areas of welding.

Has snowflakes with built in indicators .has the connections for semaphores - but not cut at factory I've been told.

I am the second uk owner over here ...car has towel rail bumpers to so I presume it's some kind of export model ?

Thanks
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darthmjh wrote:
potentvw wrote:

I have a February 1960 bug and during a previous restoration the front apron was changed for a later one. I am trying to put the correct one on. However every 1960 I look at has a 3 rib apron. Do you think that my bug should have a 4 rib apron as it was made in February?

I have a January 1960, it has a 3 rib front apron. You'd should have a 3 rib as well.
imaciderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

Cars built and shipped to Britain and Cyprus would be in MPH and be right hand drive.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

I'm almost positive it is impossible to get a off the shelf wiring harness for a 60 euro.
Chris vw67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

Yes I have the 3 rib also Smile

RHD too ...wheels look different though to standard ,dished at back possible
Early 912 wheels ?
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

Chris vw67 wrote:
Yes I have the 3 rib also Smile

RHD too ...wheels look different though to standard ,dished at back possible
Early 912 wheels ?
912 wheels were never wide five.
Chris vw67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

911 then !
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

911 wheels were never wide five.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Chris vw67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me everything about a 60 Euro Bug Reply with quote

I've done some research..so356 replicas they must be ...
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: tell me everything about a 60 euro bug Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:

I listed those things in my first post, except the grab handle as 1961 was the first year it was introduced

Shoot. I have a May 60 Euro, and I just installed a passenger dash grab handle. Preparing for people to point out it's wrong when I take my car to shows. lol. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: