Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homeresque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Single circuit will most likely not move enough fluid to work the discs.

Get new grommets and fix the dual circuit problem.

Well I have new grommets. As well as the new grommets that came installed in the new MC...I'm curious of what ever happened with the previous poster who had the same problem and replaced his grommets three times with no luck?

My preferred inclination is to convert back to the design without the leaking grommets. I'll check the disc-brake conversion posts for luck using existing single circuit MCs.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

BTW have you double checked that the stop bolt in the top of the MC is tight? If loose it will leak from up under the reservoir and look like grommet failure with MC in situ.
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Homeresque wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
Single circuit will most likely not move enough fluid to work the discs.

Get new grommets and fix the dual circuit problem.

Well I have new grommets. As well as the new grommets that came installed in the new MC...I'm curious of what ever happened with the previous poster who had the same problem and replaced his grommets three times with no luck?

My preferred inclination is to convert back to the design without the leaking grommets. I'll check the disc-brake conversion posts for luck using existing single circuit MCs.

I was the one with 3 sets of grommets. Still leaked. I gave up and bought a new master from bustoration, here: http://www.bustoration.com/Master-Cylinder-DUAL-Circuit-67-ONLY-CHINA_p_2041.html

It is the brakes, so I didn't want to chance it and I was sick of messing with it. Put the new one in, bled it, no leaks, works freaking great.

Good Luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donald.lemay wrote:
OK how about this
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611301E
and
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611021AABR
and
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611817A
cut a bolt for the rod that goes to pedal and call it a day.
$126 dollars seems pretty inexpensive. Any experience with this master cylinder?
Thanks
Don

I have read the thread but see no answer to this set up. Has anyone tried it
is it worth it. Price seems right. Prices have been ranging from$39 bucks for a dual circuit to $300 + reservoir? German ATE is always best but $300 is steep Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slamwise wrote:
I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but here's my 2 cents. WW sells the 67 only Reservoir, instead of buying used rabbit reservoirs. It fits the 67 only M/C and the late Bay M/C with the proper grommets.

Whats funny is they used to come in the ATE box with the part number cut off of the box. I bet there is a huge mark up on these, as it looks like $1.00 worth of plastic.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211611301E

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SocalAutoParts.com sells the 67 only M/C for about $80. It comes with the right grommets and also includes the residual pressure valves already installed, and the dust boot.

It only has one outlet for the front circuit, you have to section in a tee fitting for the front.

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/ind...es-p-16772

I've used the kit from Airkewld before. I don't like it. It adds in 2 more grommets and aluminum spacers because he is using the cheap beetle reservoirs with the fat outputs. It works, but i would prefer to keep it simple.

Anyone tried the WW Reservoir and SOCAL Master? I am going drums all around. Thanks in advance, Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

mod needed at the floor pan to fit an ATE MC

Last edited by perello on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

perello wrote:
mod needed at the floor pan to fit an ATE master cylinder

With or without MC spacer??
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Without. Machined push rod though.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

perello wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Without. Machined push rod though.

have any measurements for making that hole?
TurbedAWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

After reading through this entire thread and seeing it has spanned many years, parts prices and availability have changed. Would the easiest solution, for someone who will continue to use drum brakes all around, be just to use a 67 master cylinder with reservoir? They are both available from CIP for about 100 bucks.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Except for say a 1967 only bus. Both the 1967 only and the 1971-79 MCs take the same requirements to install. So no easier either way for pre-1967 bus.

With a 1967 bus the push rod is already setup for the 1967 MC, and would probably need to be redone for the later MC.

Seeing that one can get the later MC for just over $50.00 right now. That means for the average Joe, not having to work an extra 4 or more hours at work to pay for the 1967 only MC. So easier that way.

Also if out on the road, lot more chance of finding a later MC in a local FLAPS than the 1967 only MC.
TurbedAWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Except for say a 1967 only bus. Both the 1967 only and the 1971-79 MCs take the same requirements to install. So no easier either way for pre-1967 bus.

With a 1967 bus the push rod is already setup for the 1967 MC, and would probably need to be redone for the later MC.

Seeing that one can get the later MC for just over $50.00 right now. That means for the average Joe, not having to work an extra 4 or more hours at work to pay for the 1967 only MC. So easier that way.

Also if out on the road, lot more chance of finding a later MC in a local FLAPS than the 1967 only MC.

Ah, I was thinking the 67 master would be a direct bolt in without the use of the adapter plate since it is intended for a split bus.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

TurbedAWD wrote:

Ah, I was thinking the 67 master would be a direct bolt in without the use of the adapter plate since it is intended for a split bus.

If you check out the directions we posted earlier, you do not need or in cases of earlier buses do not want the spacer. Without spacer you can fit on the earlier pedal splash pan without need of cutting the rear of the pan to clear there.

Of course with not needing to buy the special spacer it saves one a bit more $$. Even after buying a bolt to cut off the head and file round on one end for a new short push rod.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

I just finished installing a '67 MC on my '65 bus today, here's some notes:

Stroke of the '67MC is 32mm per the Bentley, I measured the stroke of the pushrod (without MC installed) on my '65 bus and got exactly 32mm. No pushrod modification was needed.

Does anyone have pictures of the '67 pushrod assy next to a >66 pushrod? I can't see the difference.

I used the Chinese MC from Cip1 and a Rabbit reservoir, it fit well without a spacer, of course.

I haven't bled or driven the bus yet but I'm confident it will be fine. My '66 bus has a late Bay power MC (manual brake MCs don't fit) with a spacer. The power MC has a bore of 22mm which is probably giving me a hard pedal as the '67MC is 3/4"/19.05mm. I'll likely change the '66 bus to a '67MC in the future.

The pedal pan (if I install it) will need some cutting. I'll post up pics soon so you can see the line routing. (pretty much the same as everyone else's)
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:

Does anyone have pictures of the '67 pushrod assy next to a >66 pushrod? I can't see the difference.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2102779&highlight=#2102779
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Been following this with interest because I am about to roll the 56 pickup over onto the rotisserie and clean and paint the bottom and ALL NEW BRAKE PARTS! I bought a roll of the copper bearing metal line stuff. Gonna go all stock BUT a dual circuit master.
HERE'S SOMETHING I'M CONSIDERING;
68-69 MC is a Q, I think, 70 is a T(Drum brakes, no booster) Both about 22.2mm (7/8"- .875") bore and physically the same as 1967's .EXCEPT the 1969 cylinder (Q) has 2 output fittings for the front.
Also, all 3 years have residual valves, that partly check the return flow, so you can pump the pedal up. (NO DISC brake M/C's will have these).
I have a ton of cores around. I used 69 and 70 type 2's as daily drivers for about 3 decades , so, I'll try to figure out which I like the best, then perhaps buy a new or rebuilt one. Or a kit and rebuild my own.
Bottom line, It seems to me that using disc brake Vac- boosted master is just plain wrong in several ways.
(edited- the 1968-9 is the one with 2 front line fittings. and the size on all 3 years is 22.2mm.)
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home

Last edited by Alan Brase on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Residual valves can be added. Personally have just keep the shoes adjusted properly Big problem with the 1968-70 MC is how to mount and use those years of reservoirs.

Please update how it goes!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Are they not the same as the 1967 one? If not... I agree, not so great. Pretty sure they are both 20mm, though.
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Are they not the same as the 1967 one? If not... I agree, not so great. Pretty sure they are both 20mm, though.

Well, I'm wrong on most counts here. the 1968-9 is 22.2mm.
The 67 reservoir won't fit either.
The early reservoir has nipples at 100mm. these 1968-70 cylinders have 85mm nipple spacing. Go figure. I have one later chinese cylinder with 100mm spacing, but single outlet for front and that extended piston for the booster.
Back to square one.
Vanagons:
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Tried and true, works every time - http://www.airkewld.com/Dual-Circuit-DISC-Master-Cylinder-Kit-4852-p/4852.htm

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: