Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tried and true, works every time - http://www.airkewld.com/Dual-Circuit-DISC-Master-Cylinder-Kit-4852-p/4852.htm

Is it just the name, or is there some characteristic that makes the kit for DISC only?
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Airkewld wrote:

Tried and true, works every time - http://www.airkewld.com/Dual-Circuit-DISC-Master-Cylinder-Kit-4852-p/4852.htm

Is it just the name, or is there some characteristic that makes the kit for DISC only?

The spring rate, the bore size and proportioning characteristics make this a DISC/Drum combo or DISC/DISC combo.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

I just installed front disc brakes on my 59 and used a stock 67 master cylinder. I did remove the residual valve from the port for the front disc brakes and everything seems to work fine.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I just installed front disc brakes on my 59 and used a stock 67 master cylinder. I did remove the residual valve from the port for the front disc brakes and everything seems to work fine.

Your brake pads will wear faster because the there is nothing to return fluid back to the reservoir. The factory spring rate in the 67 master is not strong enough to do the job 100% although it might work somewhat now.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Upgraded my ‘58 standard today to a dual circuit MC
It’s a varta MC with a reservoir from Autocraft.

I tried it first without the spacer, but in that case the reservoir hits the crossmember, so I went ahead with the spacer.

I installed the rear brake line closest to the push rod together with the brake light sensor.
Both front brake lines were fitted furtest from the pushrod.
Just to be sure, this is correct right?

Quite pleased with the final result (still have to test drive it though).
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:

I installed the rear brake line closest to the push rod together with the brake light sensor.
Both front brake lines were fitted furtest from the pushrod.
Just to be sure, this is correct right?

That will work. Just keep in mind that the front lines really should be connected into a "T" and a short line from that to the MC, like was done with 1967 and later stock buses with dual circuit. That allows for two brake senders to be used. That in turn allows one to still have brake lights when the rear brake circuit fails, and you have to limp it home or to the repair shop. Not helpful if someone rear ends you. Plus when it is found out that you did not have brake lights, that you are responsible for the accident. Also with two brake senders you can install a brake warning system so as to warn the driver when a circuit fails. This is handy if the bus you have is driven by someone that might not notice the pedal is going down halfway suddenly.....
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Eric&Barb for checking my setup. Adding a second brake light sensor is a nice suggestion! An easy way to improve safety.

Looking forward to test it Very Happy
emanchester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

What is the trick to getting a leak-free seal between the reservoir and master cylinder? I have tried installing the grommets on the reservoir first then installing that onto the master. I have tried installing grommets into the master first then installing the reservoir. I have tried using a clamp to compress the reservoir into the grommets once installed. I even put heat shrink on the reservoir nipples to try and get a tighter fit. I still have leaking grommets. I am using the varga 71-79 MC with the AC Industries 67 reservoir. Any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

emanchester wrote:
What is the trick to getting a leak-free seal between the reservoir and master cylinder? I have tried installing the grommets on the reservoir first then installing that onto the master. I have tried installing grommets into the master first then installing the reservoir. I have tried using a clamp to compress the reservoir into the grommets once installed. I even put heat shrink on the reservoir nipples to try and get a tighter fit. I still have leaking grommets. I am using the varga 71-79 MC with the AC Industries 67 reservoir. Any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I remember the struggle to get the reservoir in Mad
I also tried both ways, but if I remember correctly, I got succes with putting the grommets in to the MC first.
Sometimes the grommets have small pooring residues that should be trimmed.
Good luck!
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

TurbedAWD wrote:
After reading through this entire thread and seeing it has spanned many years, parts prices and availability have changed. Would the easiest solution, for someone who will continue to use drum brakes all around, be just to use a 67 master cylinder with reservoir? They are both available from CIP for about 100 bucks.

I am trying to figure out the same thing. Can I just buy the MC and reservoir for the 67 from CIP? I am not too worried about the 67 only being a little more expensive. What other parts are needed beyond these two? Sorry I did try reading through the thread but cant find a definitive answer for someone who wants dual MC with all drums. Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

billstickly1 wrote:

I am trying to figure out the same thing. Can I just buy the MC and reservoir for the 67 from CIP? I am not too worried about the 67 only being a little more expensive. What other parts are needed beyond these two? Sorry I did try reading through the thread but cant find a definitive answer for someone who wants dual MC with all drums. Thanks

You can do that, but it is more than just the 1967 is expensive, but pretty much impossible to find at a FLAPS out on the road. The 1971-79 MC is less pricey and much more chance a FLAPS will have it. Either works fine for drum brakes, either one can use the 1967 bus or Rabbit reservoir since both of those have same port spacing.

The 1971-79 can be mounted in such a way as to allow use of the early pedal splash pan. 1967 MC is too long from the mount back to use an uncut early splash pan.

As for what other parts you need, have no idea of what year of bus you have. Plus that has been covered several times in this thread.
buggE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

What is the simple way to convert a 64 d/c to a double master cylinder ,without any modification and still all drum brake?
buggE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Was told that a certain year ,dual master, will bolt right in
And nothing to change but reservoir ? Leaving the 64 crew all drum brake. No need for rod change or extra tee in front or anything else
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

buggE wrote:
Was told that a certain year ,dual master, will bolt right in
And nothing to change but reservoir ? Leaving the 64 crew all drum brake. No need for rod change or extra tee in front or anything else

You have to make some small changes. Go to page one and start reading up.
buggE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, I can put a 1967 m/c and don't have to ad a tee or different rod, Only modification is to the splash pan. And no concerns about a washer/spacer or pressure valves-This is for all drum 64 crew. Was told by store online in Washington , that it's a direct fit if you get the right m/c and I believe he said 66/67 bus will convert the easiest and they sell the respiratory you need
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

buggE wrote:
If I understand correctly, I can put a 1967 m/c and don't have to ad a tee or different rod, Only modification is to the splash pan. And no concerns about a washer/spacer or pressure valves-This is for all drum 64 crew. Was told by store online in Washington , that it's a direct fit if you get the right m/c and I believe he said 66/67 bus will convert the easiest and they sell the respiratory you need

Again go back and read up.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

There are ways to bodge things up so they do work, but not as well. VW went to dual circuit and dual brake senders for a reason, better safety.

You do not have to cut the pedal pan up by using the 1971-79 MC, but if that is not a big deal for you...

Also why is the 1967 MC push rod different from the pre-1967 push rods??
buggE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

That's resivoir ,not respiratory.Which I may need trying to figure this out !
buggE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Right now I don't have a pan so that's not an issue. What I'm concerned about is the correct master that you can(according to store) use(1967) and supposedly alls well, ( don't have to do anything to rod adjustment,etc. Just ad different reservoir and I think an extra brake light switch ( or is that the 71-?) and run it in series?
buggE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

I don't want to purchase an m/c til I'm. 100% sure of an educated choice. According to a person on Samba, a lot of people are told by stores or? To purchase a M/C that is either incorrect or not the easier modification. Also I'm not quite sure if there is a difference in the M/C requirement if you are not putting disk brakes on. Sounds like you have to use a certain type with disc?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: