Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

vwsnoopy wrote:

If I do use the "T" so I can get two brake light switches. Do you use the stock splitty 2 prong or bay 3 prong? How would you wire them up as I only have one plug.

This is all on a 65 Deluxe.

Might try the "Disc Brake Kits / Front disc brake conversion" in the "Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*" stickie at the top of the forum for if you need a check valve.

You should have two stock wires to connect up, not "One Plug".

Either the three or two terminal brake light senders can be used. Three terminal are required if you are going to make a wiring harness so as to install a brake failure warning light in or under the dash.

If you are not installing the warning light, then just wire each sender in parallel, and the stock wires to one of the senders. That way both sender will open/close and turn on the brake light. Would not hurt say every year to test that each sender is still working.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

vwsnoopy wrote:

Is the residual check valve required?

This is all on a 65 Deluxe.

If you're installing the EMPI dual circuit master at the same time, no residual valve is required - it's built into the MC for the rear circuit and properly gutted for front disc. The Tee is only required to set up the second brake light switch. They're readily available from multiple vendors if you want to go that way. The leftover short line can be used to feed from the MC to the Tee.

And sadly, you missed my note in the FAQ section that E&B referred to.
I suggested ordering the '67 only kit for '64 and later buses so you didn't have to buy the MC separately (and you'd get the '67 version of the MC that doesn't require a spacer or push rod modifications). Not sure if there's a way for you to swap it out now that you've gotten it all installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DonVWMiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

I did this conversion over the past month or so for my early ‘67 which had a single circuit. And replaced it with the “ATE” branded German made dual circuit from WW. I used this forum, the Bentley manual & the Idiot Book.

I did everything from the pedal bolt, the hard & soft lines, grommets, clips, Wheel cylinders - everything EXCEPT adjusters (more on that and a warning below) .... I had the shoes arced. I borrowed a Motive brand power bleeder that worked great and owe that friend some home made sweet pickles! It took me 40-60 hours and I got tube benders from Harbor Freight to fit the hard lines. The trickiest line is the one for the front brakes from the MC to the “T” as I had no pattern. I got all parts from WW and I did not use a spacer or modified push rod but will have to cut the belly pan at the rear end of the MC to fit.

The last thing to do is adjust the brakes (then bleed). As I mentioned, I used the old cleaned up adjusters. One on the rear was stuck & I had to pull the drum and work it to free it. Then I got to the front. Left front no problem. Right front top adjuster was stuck! Removed drum & bearings. Put back together and after a few adjustments (following the instructions in the Idiot Book which says “you always pry away from the tire to tighten the shoe to the drum.”

Shocked ...I want to report to this forum that the “Idiot Book” is wrong!!!!

I know this sounds like blasphemy but the specific error is in the 19th edition (2001) page 170, 2nd paragraph, last sentence. In reality, for the top wheel cylinder the adjustment requires me to move the screwdriver toward the tire. I spent a couple hours messing around on this certain the Idiot Book could never be wrong. I found videos on YouTube showing me the correct way to adjust the right front top WC and was put test driving yesterday for the first time in a couple months! It sure feels nice to have & trust my brakes!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Read though here but a little uncertain.

I have a 64 kombi with stock drums that I want to switch to dual circuit. Planning to get a 67 MC.

I was looking at this one but question if it is correct for drums. Did they come stock 22.2mm in 67? I don't want to make my pedal harder than it is now.
https://iapperformance.com/product/brakes/brake-hy...2-2mm.html
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

1964-67 used same wheel cylinders. 1955- early 64 used same size bore of wheel cylinders, but have different offset due to narrower brake shoes used.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
1964-67 used same wheel cylinders. 1955- early 64 used same size bore of wheel cylinders, but have different offset due to narrower brake shoes used.

My question was is a 22.2mm master cylinder bore correct for 64-67 stock brakes or should it be 19mm bore.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

My question was is a 22.2mm master cylinder bore correct for 64-67 stock brakes or should it be 19mm bore.

Just below the 22.2 mm designation:

Quote:
T-2 67

Part Number: 211611011Q

T-2 means type 2. 67 is the model year, and the part number is correct for the 1967 model year.

You can access the type 2 parts manual here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

In the Main Group 6 is the brakes:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the following page:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Left click on those pages once and each will open up in its own screen. Left click on that, it will blow up nice and big to be easy to read.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
sgellis wrote:

Just below the 22.2 mm designation:

Quote:
T-2 67

Part Number: 211611011Q

T-2 means type 2. 67 is the model year, and the part number is correct for the 1967 model year.

You can access the type 2 parts manual here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Thanks. I didn't think to try matching it to the original part number.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Thanks. I didn't think to try matching it to the original part number.

You are welcome! Smile
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

So just to be clear, the ISP West kit with the 22.2 mm bore will work fine on a 67 and earlier bus with stock drums all around?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

langsmer wrote:
So just to be clear, the ISP West kit with the 22.2 mm bore will work fine on a 67 and earlier bus with stock drums all around?

Disc brakes require more fluid cc pushed to them, so one should not use a drum brake MC for those. So a disc brake or only drum brake MC will work with drum brakes.
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

I figured that was the answer, but its always best to be certain when messing around with the thing that keeps you from driving into a tree. Thanks!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

this is not necessarily true, it all depends on the diameter of the disc piston(s). a smaller bore "drum brake" master will require slightly more pedal travel with a larger disc brake caliper, but the pedal will require less force.

if a disc caliper has a piston(s) with the same surface area as a drum wheel cylinder(s) then it will require the same amount of CC's of fluid.

I am running a '67 master (22mm bore) with disc brakes and it works wonderfully. The pedal travels slightly farther than with drums, but requires much less force to stop the bus. This is a function of fluid force, but also the fact that discs inherently stop better than drums.
FreddyWanKenobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Is anyone running the ISP WEST MC conversation? Ended up with the Empi front brake conversion but it came with a single MC. So was looking for something to upgrade too.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

As fitted to 1971 up type 2's, all used a rear pressure regulator that was also sited to sense deceleration and restrict pressure to the rear brakes under severe braking.
It might be a very good idea to add this. To keep from locking up the rears.
I would think it would not be hard to add such a device. Finding one new would be expensive, but they seldom fail and probably can be disassembled and cleaned. Setup and adjustment is detailed in the bay window Bentley. (No doubt in the orange Volkswagenwerke manual as well.)
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Here's a version of ^^^^ that.

Here's a cross section of the inertia valve anti-lock rear brake device. They are installed on Austin Americas as well as other Lockheed systems.

From Austin America Bentley Manual: "An inertia valve is mounted on crossmember and is designed to prevent the possibility of rear wheel skidding. A steel ball inside body of valve holds open the valve allowing fluid passage. Under hard braking weight transfer causes ball to move and valve to close. A mechanical transfer causes ball to move and valve to close."

Alan Brase wrote:
As fitted to 1971 up type 2's...

Anyone have a pic or part number?
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

apologize in advance if this has been covered....

59 single cab, upgrading to an OEM 67 dual master. Will I need a new push rod or will the one off the car now work?

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:

59 single cab, upgrading to an OEM 67 dual master. Will I need a new push rod or will the one off the car now work?

Thank you

Link posted on page 1:

http://type2.com/library/brakes/dualmas.htm
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Circuit Master Cylinder conversion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
TheVintageVw wrote:

Thank you

Link posted on page 1:

http://type2.com/library/brakes/dualmas.htm

Ah so the spacer is for the too-long pushrod. Got it! You can buy spacer kits now...

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: