Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear suspension snubber (stop) vs. Kong dog chew toy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montreal Westy Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Rear suspension snubber (stop) vs. Kong dog chew toy Reply with quote

Have you guys noticed the simularity between the rear suspension snubbers and a Kong dog toy that people put penut butter in and dogs will play with for hour. I'm headed for the pet section of my grocery store the next time I need one.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm headed for the pet section of my grocery store the next time I need one.

so that everytime you hit a big bump you can leave peanut butter patties on the road? this thread is destined for the general/chat category
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the suspension piece is the model for that dog toy...never personally verified it, but it sounds reasonable, with as many bus owners as have dogs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus came with a couple giant boxes of parts, first thing I noticed was the two "kongs". I was wondering...'what the hell are dog toys doing in with the car parts?!?"
Now I understand. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrection!

Got a puppy... got a Kong... my son pulled a snubber out of my parts box. Hey, dad, check this out.

Wikipedia says the inventor was a bus owner, and that the chew toy is based on the bus snubber. Sweet!
nightfly19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KONG copywriters sure don't know much about early Volkswagens. Razz

Kong Website wrote:
The Story of KONG
The story of KONG begins with a German Shepherd named Fritz, his owner and a Volkswagon Van...
Fritz, a former police dog, enjoyed chewing rocks. This activity wore Fritz's teeth down and frustrated his owner, Joe Markham. One afternoon while working on his Volkswagen Van, Joe noticed Fritz dining on rocks once again. Out of desperation he began disassembling the van he was working on and threw
parts near Fritz to see if he could be coaxed away from his destructive dinner. Radiator hoses didn't work - neither did anything until he pulled off a suspension part and gave it to Fritz. Right away, Fritz was ecstatic. The KONG was born!
While Fritz invented KONG, it was Markham who realized the potential of this odd-looking toy. Markham refined the toy's design, developed a super-strong rubber formula and began production in 1976. Today, Markham continues to sell this toy as well as other great products all over the world.

Trailjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator hoses... Rolling Eyes Someone needs to slapped with a KONG.

Cool story though!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dogs destroy Kongs like they were a certain pair of shoes I left out one time. Maybe a snubber would last longer. Interesting story tho.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear suspension snubber (stop) vs. Kong dog chew toy Reply with quote

https://www.kongcompany.com/the-world-of-kong/the-kong-story/

"KONG founder, Joe Markham, loved his trained police dog, Fritz, but did not love his destructive chewing habits. Where other dogs might have chewed your shoes or favorite purse, Fritz loved to crunch on rocks, sticks and other harmful items. Fritz’s teeth were wearing down and his need for stimulation and play was not being met, and Joe was frustrated.

One day, while working on a VW Bus, Joe began throwing out car parts to Fritz to lure him away from those rocks. Fritz was immediately taken with a rubber suspension part and dropped it in Joe’s lap to play. The erratic bounce and toughness of the rubber inspired Joe."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear suspension snubber (stop) vs. Kong dog chew toy Reply with quote

Too bad it wasn't an oil pump...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: