Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone collect Lionel trains?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trains and buses are a great combo even better barndoors and pre war trains.!I had a 140 lionel tunel stored in my 52 barndoor for a year was just to big to fit on the old layout!
a close up pic of my layout from last winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing postwar Lionel stuff since I was a kid. I've inherited all my Dad's stuff, added a lot when I was a younger, and even more as my kids have grown up.

It's always a challenge to keep the wife's "plans" away from the train space though.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'70Bugnorcal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drpete wrote:
Lionel Trains and VW's. Two great hobbies that can be combined!!!

[iarmg]http://www.sanmartin.com/~drpete/trainbus1.jpg[/img]

I see you are frome norcal are you going to have you bus at the bus show in Vallejo on Aug 19th
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
I've been doing postwar Lionel stuff since I was a kid. I've inherited all my Dad's stuff, added a lot when I was a younger, and even more as my kids have grown up.

It's always a challenge to keep the wife's "plans" away from the train space though.

Cool picture. We all need a "room" where we can get into our hobby and forget all the other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you are frome norcal are you going to have you bus at the bus show in Vallejo on Aug 19th[/quote]

No, can't make it this time. Hope to get the bus out of the barn and run trains sometime soon....at least before next year's Kelley Park. But work has me tied up a lot. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up collecting model trains mostly HO Scale you know the brass locomotives with sound and lights... Parents kept me busy with them so I would stay out of trouble. I have been a member of T.T.O.S Toy Train Operation Society here in Alhambra California for many years. Then got into the Pre war Lionel trains mostly the steam locomotives. I would have my Price guide with me and hit the live auctions twice a month. I still have many of them put away including the old Lionel Bridges with working cranks, coal movers, the old transformers and things like that. Got into some N gauge trains Marklin, Rivarossi.
My most prized possession is an original in the box Mickey Mouse hand car. Here is a picture of It I found online because I have not and dont plan to open the box.

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Trains and buses are a great combo even better barndoors and pre war trains.!I had a 140 lionel tunel stored in my 52 barndoor for a year was just to big to fit on the old layout!
a close up pic of my layout from last winter.

Outstanding picture. 400E is very nice. Here is the room where I escape if not out in the garage working on the Barndoor. If only the standard gauge could fit in the bus!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd resurrect this thread on account of something I did last month: I had a small Lionel set when I was a boy, then bought Tyco HO trains and finally built a big N scale layout in my attic. I packed it all away this past spring because I was concerned that if anything happened to me, my family wouldn't be able to dispose of it properly.

Then Lionel had to go and offer this:

I used to ride these when I was a boy, and when I saw that it had opening doors and realistic sounds and station announcements, I succumbed. Now I'm building a modular portable layout to run it on. Ah, the fever never really dies, it just goes dormant for a while.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:

I used to ride these when I was a boy, and when I saw that it had opening doors and realistic sounds and station announcements, I succumbed. Now I'm building a modular portable layout to run it on. Ah, the fever never really dies, it just goes dormant for a while.

I liked the R10's with the fans hanging from the roof. The fans really didnt do much, and after being subject to them on the G line for years the cars with AC were like a fever dream
I've always thought a cool project would be to have a complete model of the NYC subway- running below ground and only visible when the tracks come above.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current thought is to build four six-foot modules: two typical cut-and-cover tunnel sections, visible from one side but lined with the typical five-foot-apart supporting columns. Being relatively dark sections, the lighted cars will look good passing through.

The other two sections will be stations. The train will come in along the station wall, with the platform inbetween the viewer and the train. I think both the tunnel and station sections will have removable roofs for viewing, and removable tunnel and station walls to ease placement of the cars on the track.

The modules will be mounted on folding legs, and will be held together with c-clamps when set up. I don't have room in my house to leave it up so the whole thing has to be portable.

Suggestions are always welcome if anyone has tried doing this before.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone collect Lionel trains? Reply with quote

I have an original 1935 Lionel "O" gauge Flying Yankee set that my dad got for Christmas when he was 7 years old. This was the first "O" gauge train with the 3 rails and 1935 was the first year. I think they sold for around $18.50. It was modeled after the Chicago Zephyr. I even have the original owner's manual. On a scale of 1-10 I would only rate it a 5 or 6 as far as condition. These used to be worth mucho bucks until Lionel reintroduced them several years ago and the value plunged. Why?
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone collect Lionel trains? Reply with quote

One major reason for the drop in value of these old trains results from changes in the demographic of the hobby. Many older train hobbyists have aged and/or passed away. And there are fewer and fewer young people interested in this old stuff. There are still a few of us older folks who still enjoy playing with these old toys. But the younger generations are drawn away from old toy trains by more modern RC toys, computer games, and other distractions.
I know I've had a lot of fun combining the 2 hobbies (VWs and trains), setting up displays at different shows and events.

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....

Last edited by drpete on Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone collect Lionel trains? Reply with quote

drpete wrote:
One major reason for the drop in value of these old trains results from changes in the demographic of the hobby. Many older train hobbyists have aged and/or passed away. And there are fewer and fewer young people interested in this old stuff.

Exactly. Same reason Brass Era cars are losing value, old guys dying.

I buy post war Lionel for my kid to play with. I buy the not too perfect stuff for him and am not freaked out when it gets damaged. Inexpensive, well supported in parts & service, easy to repair and will last another 70 years of use.

I just rebuilt 2 ZW's and a KW transformer, I have maybe $200 all in on them.

I just finished a quik and dirty layout for him. I still need to do some wire managment and mount the switch controllers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: