Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Conversion plate question for ABA swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcnajason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Conversion plate question for ABA swap Reply with quote

Hey guys, been collecting parts to ABA swap my A/C vanagon. I like fabricate/make all the parts that i can to keep costs down and have fun doing it! So a kit is out of the question.
My friend offered me his Conversion plate, clutch and flywheel that he took out of his 73 beetle. Will this kit work/line up with my engine/transmission?
ABA to Aircooled vanagon transmission (manual)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversion plate question for ABA swap Reply with quote

I suspect the adapter plate is set for 15 degrees, so that might work if you want an upright install, but the flywheel and clutch are probably way too small in diameter for the ABA.

I DIY'd nearly my entire engine swap, but did a work trade for a used Kennedy adapter plate and flywheel which allow both 15 and 50 degree installs. This was the one area of the install that I didn't want to dick around and try to make something homebrewed work. I suggest you just bite the bullet and either buy a factory diesel 50 degree kit, or a Kennedy kit.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion plate question for ABA swap Reply with quote

I sourced an inline air cooled kit and the only thing I was able to use was the adapter. It's cheap cast unit that cracks and has cracked before. I had to buy a clutch and flywheel from Kennedy after sending them my adapter to see if it would work.

Pony up and buy a Kennedy kit or gather up the components from a diesel vanagon.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversion plate question for ABA swap Reply with quote

mcnajason wrote:
Hey guys, been collecting parts to ABA swap my A/C vanagon. I like fabricate/make all the parts that i can to keep costs down and have fun doing it! So a kit is out of the question.
My friend offered me his Conversion plate, clutch and flywheel that he took out of his 73 beetle. Will this kit work/line up with my engine/transmission?
ABA to Aircooled vanagon transmission (manual)

I don't have any insight into the adapter plate question, but I did fabricate my own carrier bars for my swap, in case you have any questions on that front. There are some pictures in my google image gallery in my signature. I used Mercedes hydraulic mounts and I've been happy with them so far.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: