Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

y'all got cb's?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: y'all got cb's? Reply with quote

how many bay window bussers out there have cb radios?? me and a buddy of mine are building our busses into campers and we were thinkin that a cb should make its way into the bus somewhere. where have you guys mounted yours? and has any one used the kind that is a handset only??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stupidsongs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is behind the seat in the spare tire well.

Mostly cause I haven't hooked it up yet, I need an antenna...
waterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on this, there has been alot of comments. I started this discussion some time ago and it only makes sense to have a CB, many agree. There were definately some who thought it was icredibly lame and made retarded trucker insinuations. In any case, mine is located on the side of the passenger seat in the walk-thru. I like it there because when under the dash, you have a dangling cable that will get wrapped up with the e-brake/shifter/knees. On top of the dash, you have to stare at an ugly box.
P.S. If you put one on, you may as well install a loud speaker, it pisses people off in the crosswalks when you yell at them!
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did try searching the baywindow forum for the term cb radio but nothing useful came up......do you have a link ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thread on cb's from the split forum HERE
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice that helped out lots of good info in that thread.....thanks jobu!
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottK wrote:

The thread in the splitty forum is the best cb thread on thesamba.

For the record, I have one...I havent gotten it all the bugs worked out (engine noise)...but here it is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one mounted in my glove box a few buses ago. I had one of the antenna's that is just a box that hooks in-line with the regular antenna (JC Whitney). It worked great and I didn't have to add another external antenna. When we drove to shows we all kept in touch via CB, on channel 2 of course.
Chris-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting ready to install one in my Westy. We head down into Baja alot, and the back-back woods of the Cascades where cellphones don't reach. I have been told the 102" antenna from radio-shack is supposed to work real well, and the the most important part is tuning your antenna to the radio.

Here's a link to a good article on that:
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/cb_ant_basic.html

Does anyone know where the best spot on a westy with a pop-top is to mount an antenna? I've heard not to fiberglass, so I was thinking the front bumper?? Keep it a bit lower for those parking garages...

I gotta have nice tools, just look at the cars I drive.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-a wrote:

Does anyone know where the best spot on a westy with a pop-top is to mount an antenna? I've heard not to fiberglass, so I was thinking the front bumper?? Keep it a bit lower for those parking garages...

Mine is on the front bumper, but like I said...engine noise through the cb speaker - could ba an antenna issue.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
ScottK wrote:

The thread in the splitty forum is the best cb thread on thesamba.

For the record, I have one...I havent gotten it all the bugs worked out (engine noise)...but here it is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thats a cool lookin cockpit.....also that was where i was thinking of putting my cb...i suspect that if your drivin and talkin on the cb it probably means that the e-brake is not engaged therefore not in the way, and your not shifting either so not in the way... does your mic cord have issues tangling with anything?
Memph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the handset ones I'm assuming you are talking bout the cb ones and not walkie talkies when my family drove from Ohio to Washington we had one that was a handheld that had a mag mount antenna that would blow off and damn near take a window out everytime a big rig went by. The handheld didn't get great reception if I recall right and when it did work wouldn't transmit for more than 2-5 miles.

Last edited by Memph on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a ham (VE1 DOH), but have also used a CB in my Westy. For a westy, I'd recommend a gutter mount antenna. On a regular bus, a magnetic mount should work fine, and you get a massive ground plane with that large expanse of metal roof. If it blows around when trucks pass, get a triple magnet mount. That sucker won't move.

Of course, CB communication is finicky at the best of times. As all things, it depends what you're going to use it for. If you just want to communicate with some other vehicles close by on trips, I'd recommend going with handheld FRS units. They are simple, foolproof, and newer ones are good up to 22km or so. Even more useful is a Ham radio, but it involves licensing, testing, etc, which most people aren't up for.

But, if you just want to be able to call for help or for some other emergency, a CB might be useful. At night, someone in Haiti, South America, or Europe will probably hear you fine. During the day, someone within seeing or shouting distance might hear you. Laughing

Or get a cell phone.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcdubs wrote:

thats a cool lookin cockpit.....also that was where i was thinking of putting my cb...i suspect that if your drivin and talkin on the cb it probably means that the e-brake is not engaged therefore not in the way, and your not shifting either so not in the way... does your mic cord have issues tangling with anything?

My mic hangs where the garage door opener is in that picture. It doesnt tangle with anything at all. It seems to be a good location.
My Photography Page.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-a wrote:

I run a small rubber magnetic mount antenna on the little metal bolt plate on the outside top of the pop top. Cord is run either through the front window/door or; pop the top, open the screen, run the cord through it then close the top and run the cord out under the luggage rack seal. Works great. This is on a late westy, not sure if there is somethinhg similar on early Westies.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:

I run a small rubber magnetic mount antenna on the little metal bolt plate on the outside top of the pop top. Cord is run either through the front window/door or; pop the top, open the screen, run the cord through it then close the top and run the cord out under the luggage rack seal. Works great. This is on a late westy, not sure if there is somethinhg similar on early Westies.

How is your reception?
My Photography Page.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:

Of course, CB communication is finicky at the best of times...But, if you just want to be able to call for help or for some other emergency, a CB might be useful. During the day, someone within seeing or shouting distance might hear you. Laughing.

You know that's not true, so why did you even write it?

I have been hearing the same BS from HAMs for decades.

CBs work well for what we do, they're cheap and universal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just remember my dad had one in the truck that used to haul our camper and it was always cool to talk to the truckers and our friends....plus you can tune in the noah weather station and get up to the minute weather reports and warnings when your out campin
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
dwill49965 wrote:

Of course, CB communication is finicky at the best of times...But, if you just want to be able to call for help or for some other emergency, a CB might be useful. During the day, someone within seeing or shouting distance might hear you. Laughing.

CBs work well for what we do, they're cheap and universal.

Quote:
Okay - a bit of an exageration. It was more of a joke - that's why I put the smiley laughing face icon there.
Quote:
Well, as someone who has used CB's in this manner extensively, I stand by my statement that CB comms are finicky at the best of times. I guess it goes along with the point I made about HAMs needing to be licensed and tested to make sure they understand something about the theory of radio communications - and that most people don't bother. I think you back up my point.
Quote:
CBs work well for what we do, they're cheap and universal
Sure, and so are FRS's - that's why I said in my original post that depending on what you want to do, they may be a better option.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
Redd73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you get a ham setup for a car?

theres a ton of old ham radio equipment at my parents that belonged to my grandpa and my dad. ive thought about using it one day if pops will ever come up off it.

I will probbably add a cb at some point. Its one of the long term goals. First I have to decide if I am going to keep my 73 or get a 74 or later for the double bunk up top.

------
73 Westy 2000cc w/dual solex (engine code GE) + aftermarket AC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: