Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

diesel compression results
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: diesel compression results Reply with quote

I've just done a compression test on the AAZ ('90?) motor I recently put in my '82 Westy (replacing the original 1.6 na). I got 390, 400, 390, 410. The Bentley specs for the original 1.6 would suggest that this is a smidge low but I'm not sure if the specs are the same for the 1.9. It does have a bit of blow-by that likes to spatter oil out of the breather fitting on the valve cover if it's not in just right. It also runs a bit warm; about halfway between the warning light on the gauge and the right end of the scale. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Erik D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really the guy for diesels but your comp is decent, right at the low end of the spec range, but pretty even. The blow-by is something that suggests you should do a leakdown test, too, to see how tight everything really is. But there is a fix for the excess oil spatter getting out the breather, a baffle plate inside the valve cover. No big deal, there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: