Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Added seat belt to rear bench & a 3-point alternative
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed some three point seatbelts in my westy. I've pulled the seat belts from a 96 jetta. I had to remove a pin that - i guess - made sure that the belt can only be installed in the 15 degree angle in a jetta. here's a picture with the pin:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy to remove with a dremel:

and here's the final result. both three point seatbelts installed and added bonus of a third two point seat belt.

ktr-sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZestyNora wrote:
My guess is that they put it there so that you had to buy car-specific parts at their desired mark-up, but allowing them to make a more or less universal part at a wholesale price.

I came across this statement in doing research to add a rear belt to my Westy.

Not to be rude, but ZestyNora's guess is incorrect. The ball bearing is what the retractor uses to sense vehicle deceleration. By disabling this system you substantially increase the risk of harm to anyone in the vehicle - both the person wearing the belt, and any other occupants struck by the now-improperly restrained person. This is why one should only use retractors that are specifically designed for the particular vehicle and location.

If you don't believe me, search Google for FMVSS 209 "vehicle sensitive" and inform yourselves.
PopTopDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: added seat belt to the bench & GoWesty 3 point alternati Reply with quote

Wow, this thread is terrific. Great pics and descriptions. If the Vanagon we are trying to buy works out I would also like to have the 2 shoulder belts (have done that mod before), but add a middle lap belt as well. Doesn't appear to be terrible difficult. Might spend some time touring scrap yards this week...
witherer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Added seat belt to rear bench & a 3-point alternative Reply with quote

Found the rear seat belt trim piece that GoWesty sells. They look identical to a 911 Porche. Google part number 911-555-615-01. They are about $5 bucks.
coolcatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Added seat belt to rear bench & a 3-point alternative Reply with quote

I just finished using this guide to add a rear seat should mounted seatbelt. I ordered the belts off off GoWesty, I replaced them all. 3 shoulder mounts and one lap belt. In the rear I wanted the passenger side of the bench in my Westy to be the over the shoulder and the drivers side to remain a lap belt.

The GoWesty 3 point belt also has the ball bearing in it to only let the belt out when it's vertical. Everything was pretty straight forward the cover pops off pretty easy and the ball bearing comes out easy as can be.

I am using the shoulder mount with a Diano 3 in 1 car seat, and it's setup in booster seat mode, giving my six year old a head rest and a booster seat at the same time. I'll move to install a head rest when he graduates out of this setup. To make the car seat work with the belt latches I swapped the lap belt latch with the front latch that came with the 3 point belt, which ends up way too high when latched. I don't like the 3 point belt latch in the rear, but I don't have another lap belt latch handy, and I don't want to feed GoWesty another 60$ for another lap belt. I'll go scrounge at a scrap yard if I find I want it bad enough, for now it's kinda pointed parallel to the bench so it stays out the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: