Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedo/Cruise Control?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Speedo/Cruise Control? Reply with quote

My Speedo Cable between the speedo and the OXS box has recently given up on me(bugger!) Does anyone know if the cruise control picks up the speed from what i presume to be the OXS box?

My reason for asking is that i really want to get the cruise control working again at some point, so i dont want to replace it with the one piece part if I can help it!

Also, does anyone know where I can get the top part of the cable, as I sure as hell cant find one over here!!! Mad
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruise control uses an inductive pickup on the back of the speedo head.

The OXS box does just one thing (besides hang there looking stupid): it switches on the OXS light at 30k miles.

If you replace the dual cable with a one-piece, you can do away with the counter box. Just tie off the wiring connector out of the way along the frame rail. No other functions depend on this connector. Your OXS light will no longer come on during bulb-check.

I got a one-piece cable at GW, about $20; you have to check the vendors because this part seems to go out of stock a lot. GW actually had the best price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would your answer indicate that a special speedometer was used for cruise control equipped Vanagons, or would all Vanagon speedo's have this inductive pickup?

I ask because I'm contiplating buying an aftermarket cruise kit, and they always require an inductive system for speed measurement. I hate the "glue a magnet on a drive shaft" system for the inductive pickup, so this has me raising an eyebrow.

For the record, I have an 84 Vanagon, but I installed a later cluster (86 I believe) for the tach setup.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little module that attaches to the back of the speedo head. My non-cruise speedo has the cutout and holes drilled for it. So I'm pretty sure you don't need a special speedo, just the pickup and all the other stuff for the VW system. As far as an aftermarket system, it's anybody's guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
you have to check the vendors because this part seems to go out of stock a lot. GW actually had the best price.

You can always get it from a Canadian source since Canadian Westys dont have the OXS box. Canadian Westys use the one piece cable.
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Cruise control uses an inductive pickup on the back of the speedo head.

The OXS box does just one thing (besides hang there looking stupid): it switches on the OXS light at 30k miles.

If you replace the dual cable with a one-piece, you can do away with the counter box. Just tie off the wiring connector out of the way along the frame rail. No other functions depend on this connector. Your OXS light will no longer come on during bulb-check.

I got a one-piece cable at GW, about $20; you have to check the vendors because this part seems to go out of stock a lot. GW actually had the best price.

does anyone have any ideas where i could buy an inductive pickup (also know as a vss) for my vanagon speedometer?

thanks,
r
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to a junkyard and get one from a late 80's Audi or Jetta and such. They are not exactly alike, but close enough that a little work with a file will produce an almost exact copy. The Vanagon one has a half round cutout in one of the long sides, and the pick-up tines are a bit shorter. So the mod, is to file out the round in the plastic of the pickup and then, slowly file down the tines until they no longer rub the back of the speedo internal hub (less than 1 mm).

Mine was free, with a bunch of other gridley electrical parts at the junkyard.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syberia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a manual transmission, most aftermarket cruise control setups have an option where they can be run straight from the tach signal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: