Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuhlbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff...now let me cloud the water a little bit...

Has anyone filled their own vehicle-mounted LP tank from their larger, residential tank? I have 2 250 gal. LP tanks on my property, and I would love the convenience of filling them myself before a trip. Also, it would be nice to be able to dump the tank back into my big one when I didn't need to haul the LP around.
Current:
'97 EVC

"In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?" Seal
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a connector to do something like that out there. that stuff is not easy to find for the average joe though. I did see something on a Canadian website for it once. It was related to a converting gas engines to propane.

The county sheriffs cars around here used to be powered by propane, You would see them from time to time on the side of the road, they used a 20lb cylinder with hose and connetor much like a spare gas can.

Another place to possibly search out is a good forklift supply or something like that. They have a good selction of fittings etc... but all I have found online is you have to buy bulk or possible certified etc...
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Just to Stir Up Mud Reply with quote

Just to muddy up the waters again...

I bought the 'Second Chance' adapter from Bus Depot... I thought it just screwed into the main filler valve on the tank... It won't, of course. It's meant to screw into the 'Extend a Stay' kit so that you can use a small bottle instead of a big tank at the end of the line running to their 'tee.'

I presume that I'm utterly ignorant to think that you COULD just 'empty' a small cylinder of propane into your Vanagon Westy's EMPTY tank, and just let your existing regulator and hoses do what they're meant to do? I'm not really interested in powering anything external off the van, I'd just like an emergency refill capability.

I should probably go and talk to my propane guys, but, this way we all learn.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dufo's Pizza and Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan@el wrote:
....The only problem I've been having so far is when disconnecting the 1lb propane bottle from the adapter, some amount of propane seems to explode out of the system for a second, which is disconcerting. Is this a normal occurance when disconnecting these bottles from a system like this? ...

Yup. Normal. You're just releasing the propane gas that was in the hose. (The shorter the hose the better.) Next time, release the hose slowly...a 1/2 turn or so at a time so you can stop when the gas starts to bleed off gently. Give it a few seconds to clear, and then remove normally.

Will

...'cause it ain't easy bein' cheesy!
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a permanent solution, get an Extend-A-Stay kit plus Second Chance adapter. We bought some on closeout from an RV manufacturer for a fraction of the original price. Original price was $170 for both pieces, closeout price is $54. This combo will let you run either a disposable cylinder or gas grill tank as a second tank on your system, and also run outboard propane items from your built-in tank. The hoses alone are worth more than the closeout price on the whole kit.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=53700
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is either the "extend a stay" or the shut off valve on the westies built in a one way? If not, in theory you could fill the westies tank back up with one of these right?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a ball valve in line at the bottle. I was able to replace my original regulator on the stock tank and get a fill locally so I carry the 1 pound adapter kit for emergencies. I too was concerned about unscrewing the bottle with propane filling the stove and fridge. That was why I used a ball valve. I got a brass one from HD with female 1/8 in pipe threads on both ends. I used a small 1/8 pipe nipple to connect the valve to the regulator.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello vanfriends

I would like to have a backup propane option in my westy. As I already have a Propex, I dont want to put the extend a stay under the van, where there are already too many extensions and hoses..

Will the extend a stay fit inline with the stove propane supply, under the sink?

here is the info I have collected on what to buy and where:

1. extend a stay
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=53700

will the extend a stay connect inline under the sink instead of at the propane tank under the van?

2. Second chance adapter for 1lb propane bottle
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=668816

is this the same thing for $5 less?
http://tinyurl.com/55csom

3. low pressure regulator for 1lb tank
http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm the unit labeled COM5 is right?

thanks
Jonathan
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a local propane store and they built me this unit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If anybody wants one, I will be glad to help, it cost me $80 includes everything you see: the tee to tap the gas line, quick connect, hose attached to low pressure regulator, 1 pound bottle adapter. It came from Ferrelgas in Santa Fe, Albert built it, 505-471-2663.

I still have to cut and flare it into my undersink Propane line.. although as built it has a male flare and a female on the T, so it "could" get sqeezed between the existing stove connection.. but, Im not feeling like kinking a copper propane line trying.

There is a quick connect so the hose and regulator can be removed when not in use. Then all thats attached to the van is the Tee and Quick connect..

The purpose of this system is to serve as a backup to the stock Westy propane tank under the vehicle.

Since we have no real way of knowing how long our stock propane tank will last until it goes empty, and since I HATE ending a camping trip early to go get Propane, I can now use 1 pound Propane bottles as backups.

I also have a Heater Buddy that uses 1 Pound propane bottles, as well as a propane bbq that uses 1 pound bottles.

I did not want to use the extend a stay kit, as I have no desire to carry 20 pound propane bottles, nor do I want to use my Westy propane tank to power a BBQ.

I did not want to add any more fittings at my stock Westy propane tank as I have a Propex connection there already.

I do have the option to refil my 1 pound Propane bottles from a 20 pound bottle at home, if I'm feeling lucky..

Has anyone actually done that, refil a 1 pound bottle? Can you vouch for it working, from direct experience? Did you feel safe?

ps, here is a photo another member posted, of the installed quickconnect
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filling a large cylinder to 1-pounder will only happen if you can get liquid to transfer.

BTW, wouldn't you have felt safer having the tee connector outside the van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fill a 1 pound bottle, you simply turn the 20 pound bottle upside down.. the liquid propane flows down to the 1 pound bottle.

There is a link on this page, http://tinyurl.com/5329zr that also shows how to use a 1 pound bottle as a reserve to a 20 pound bottle.. the trick here is to turn the 1 pound bottle upside down..

Im hoping to test that option, and see if I can use a 1 pound bottle to just refil the main tank, then disconnect the quick connect.

As far as having the T outside, I agree it is safer in terms of propane leaking when connecting and especially when disconnecting a Propane bottle.

Therefore the same rules as when refilling the main propane tank apply when connecting and disconnecting the 1 pound bottle... turn off all flames including the fridge.

Additional precautions should be taken to ventilate any Propane that could pool in the undersink cabinet especially when disconnecting the 1 pound bottle, and in particular before lighting the fridge.

A shutoff valve could be added to the quick connect end of the regulator, so any Propane in the rubber hose could not escape when releasing the quick connect.

I intentionally used only 6 inches of rubber hose, to reduce the amount of propane that would escape when disconnecting, instead of using a premade regulator and hose assembly like pictured in one of the above posts, which have much longer hoses,

Another reason I wanted the reserve tank inside, not dangling outside, is so I cant make the mistake of driving away from a campsite dragging a propane bottle connected by a rubber hose...
need2boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: adapter Reply with quote

I use an extend a stay then screw this into the adapter on the extend a stay. You may want to drill a hole in guard.

JFF

1998 SAAB 900 SE Coupe: Black Swan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With OPD valved 20# BBQ tanks you can not turn them upside down, the OPD valve closes the flow of propane with the float valve.

so either you have to invert a 100# tank (I've given serious thought) or you can only use those 'refill adapters' to add gaseous propane to the 1# bottle. which is VERY .. VERY little capacity over the original 1# with liquified propane gas content. though offers a very vauge feeling of accomplishment, till you try to boil a pot of water after dinner.. and all the gas is gone.

they still sell them because people still buy them AND there is probably a warehosue FULL of them someplace to still pass through the economic market and regain mfg costs from.

I use this MR Heater part to screw into a standard BBQ regulator and hose assembly, that fits the 3/8" Flare fittings INSIDE the kitchenete cabinet. it replaces the POL or ACME fitting that is on a BBQ Regulator. grab those curbside with a quick cresent wrench.

Jon_slider wrote:
To fill a 1 pound bottle, you simply turn the 20 pound bottle upside down.. the liquid propane flows down to the 1 pound bottle.

There is a link on this page, http://tinyurl.com/5329zr that also shows how to use a 1 pound bottle as a reserve to a 20 pound bottle.. the trick here is to turn the 1 pound bottle upside down.....

Last edited by danfromsyr on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> With OPD valved 20# BBQ tanks you can not turn them upside down

thanks for the education

so, if I cant refill my 1 pound reserve bottle, I will just have to buy another one for $2.39 at Wall Mart. Thats a small price to pay to be able to have a reserve propane capacity until the next drive into town for a Propane refill.

And, the 1 pound bottle does not have an OPD float.. so in theory it can be inverted and dumped into the main propane tank, then removed.. That sounds pretty handy to me too..

Anyone ever tried it?

And, I ask once again, has anyone ever actually used one of those refillers.. and did it work?Smile

Im OK if I cant refill the 1 pounders.. not a biggie.

> I use this MR Heater part

yes, same device is on my assembly

> a standard BBQ regulator and hose assembly, that fits the 3/8" Flare fittings INSIDE the kitchenete cabinet

yes, same with my kit, but, I dont think its realistic to expect it to just screw in between the existing fittings without cutting the copper line and flaring it with a new nut.. It is not enough to just connect to the stove, I want the propane connection to be available without having to screw and unscrew the flare fittings under the sink when changing from stock propane tank to 1 pound bottle.

Also, I want the entire propane system functional, not just the stove, but also the fridge and propex heater, so a T into the undersink stove propane line is required..
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed for YOUR system you are seeking a T in the line, it will back feed on everything from the T (or multiple T's) downstream from the regulator, so make sure if you are cooking on 1# bottle the propex doesn't suck it empty.

my note of the standard BBQ hose & regulator fitting the 3/8 flare fittings for the fridge&stove is for those reading who want to Eliminate the stock westy propane tank for cost, condition, clearance, or bridge/tunnel restriction reasons.

one could use a single hose BBQ regulator for each fridge and stove, giving you 2 1#bottles capacity and won't consume fridge gas while cooking soup.
or you can use a double hose BBQ regulator (for BBQs with side burners) and only run one 1# bottle for space savings.

and for 'dumping' a 1# capacity into your stock tank, not in the 'Liquid' sense but it's gaseous contents into the system & tank for appliance consumption sure. Liquified Propane will NOT travel thru the Orifice in the top of the 1# bottle.. but if it's connected into the system and an appliance is drawing off propane gas, the bottle will provide it's capacity..
I just wanted to make sure you didn't think of it as a container you could dump it's liquified contents into another container.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Liquified Propane will NOT travel thru the Orifice in the top of the 1# bottle

thanks for the education, much appreciated
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallymart carries the 5gal grill tank adaptor to refill the 1lb bottles in most outdoors section. dont know about regulator-will check.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Wallymart carries the 5gal grill tank adaptor to refill the 1lb bottles in most outdoors section

If you read the post 5 above yours, that wont work with OPD valved tanks.

OPD valved tanks can be recognized by the knob you turn to open and close the Propane outlet. The knob has 3 points only, its sort of triangular instead of round.

Older propane tanks with round knobs will work, but they are being phased out.

I recently returned 2 older propane tanks to a Bottle Swap at the supermaket, because my local propane store refused to refil them, as they were showing signs of rust. The bottles coming out of those supermarket swap cages ALL have the newer OPD valves.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the quick connect install under sink

I can now attach the 1 pound bottle if my stock propane runs out.

Makes me Much more comfortable not having to worry about how much Propane is left in my stock tank..
Sigeats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: My set up Reply with quote

So I've been working on this for a couple weeks, and this is what I came up with. I really don't know what I'm doing, so I was thinking I'd put up a few pics so someone more qualified can let me know if I'm going to blow up my Westy making mt next grilled cheese. Everything seems to work great!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: