Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

You need to visit your local hardware store and search YouTube for flaring copper tube. You can't use compression fittings.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Your local RV sales/service place can sell you what you need.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

For all of you concerned about refilling the 1lb bottles, just saw this at REI:
https://www.rei.com/product/113609/flame-king-refillable-propane-cylinder-1-lb

Quote:
Certified by the DOT as legally and lawfully refillable and transportable

Looks like it uses heavier-duty hardware meant to take the stress of repeated refills.

Haven't used them myself. Just FYI.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

SyncroJoel (I think Ron) posted this on facebook. It's a 1lb canister with a shut off valve and a regulator.

I only use propane for the stove. I was considering doing this instead of buying a heavy tank that I refill every 3 years. Any thoughts on his setup?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

The big news in that post of Ron's is that he's deleting the Propex and replacing it with the inexpensive Chinese diesel heater (he says it'll provide much more heat). There's a new furnace in town.

I believe the two advantages of the green bottle are: less weight and easier refill (just swap out the bottle).

Less weight/more ground clearance is incontrovertible.

The easy refill can be solved with a hose that allows you to fill the oem propane tank with a green bottle.

If less weight/more ground clearance (at the loss of stock setup and years supply of propane) are important then it's a win.

This is a hose I had made to fill the oem tank with a green bottle.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
The big news in that post of Ron's is that he's deleting the Propex and replacing it with the inexpensive Chinese diesel heater (he says it'll provide much more heat). There's a new furnace in town.

Yeah these gas heaters are game changers for sure. Personally I plan on going with a petrol, tapping into the gas tank. I would like weight savings and clearance from removing the factory propane tank.

Also - mine needs to be replaced and if I can save money on doing so would be awesome! Someone needs to make a DIY kit for a clean conversion!

I wonder if I can put my 1lb canister in the driver's seat battery box. It's vented right?
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Another interesting variation could be to replace the gas burners with something that burns diesel and going single fuel for everything... maybe even repurposing the window washing fluid container as a small diesel tank...
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Another interesting variation could be to replace the gas burners with something that burns diesel and going single fuel for everything... maybe even repurposing the window washing fluid container as a small diesel tank...

https://www.heatso.com/webasto-diesel-cooker-x100-with-installation-kit/

Expensive at 1200 but really neat design. temperature varies from the big side to the small side and heats along that path.

http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-ci20-2-burner-i...lrEALw_wcB

dometic ci120 around 350 if you have the house battery to support it.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I believe the two advantages of the green bottle are: less weight and easier refill (just swap out the bottle).

My only problem with those green canisters (And I use them with my Coleman stove) is that you cannot recycle them. I've got about a dozen spent ones in my shed.
Need someone to shoot them, then if cut in half they can go to the metal recycle bin w/o freaking out the authorities.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

My only problem with those green canisters (And I use them with my Coleman stove) is that you cannot recycle them. I've got about a dozen spent ones in my shed.
Need someone to shoot them, then if cut in half they can go to the metal recycle bin w/o freaking out the authorities.

Legally refillable propane bottles can be purchased. Home Depot carries the system.

https://www.rei.com/product/113609/flame-king-refi...G9EALw_wcB

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
baltik wrote:

https://www.heatso.com/webasto-diesel-cooker-x100-with-installation-kit/

Expensive at 1200 but really neat design. temperature varies from the big side to the small side and heats along that path.

http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-ci20-2-burner-i...lrEALw_wcB

dometic ci120 around 350 if you have the house battery to support it.

Has anyone found a gasoline burning stove top cooker? I have only been able to locate diesel burning units like the link above.

I can find gasoline air heaters. With a gas stove top, those of us with gas engines could also go single fuel source.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

I have been refilling mine. I bought caps to provide extra seal because theyre not designed to be refilled. I think i refill it to 75%
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Legally refillable propane bottles can be purchased. Home Depot carries the system.

I actually looked into these in there past and there was a recall, so ruled them out and have not even given them a thought since.
But all recent reviews look good! I think I'll get 2 to 4 of these and that will carry me through my VW Logo trips. Thanks for posting!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

I don't know if the USA has gone the way of OPD safety valves on their 20lb propane tanks, but up here we have them.

This means we cannot invert our 20lb tanks and get fuel flow to refill these suckers.

I have one old 20lb tank left that doesn't have an OPD value but I'll never get it refilled.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

I don't think the OPD valves stop the flow when the tank is upside down. If you think about it, with the tank upside down the float would be in the "down" position and should work until the tank starts to get low. In all the videos of people refilling 1 lb bottles no one seems to be having any issues.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

How I refill my 1lb containers.

Put them all in freezer for 30 mins.
Install adapter and bottle to BBQ propane tank.
Flip propane tank upside down, open valve on BBQ tank

I usually let it go for a minute? When I stop hearing gas flow. Not sure if I'm doing that part correctly.

They even make this bad boy

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

I do the same thing Brandon. I will be buying new canisters this year to start with as I do worry about the valves wearing out. This time, I plan on putting a mark on each canister and replacing after 5 or so refills. There is zero science or engineering behind this plan, strictly for my own peace of mind.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I do the same thing Brandon. I will be buying new canisters this year to start with as I do worry about the valves wearing out. This time, I plan on putting a mark on each canister and replacing after 5 or so refills. There is zero science or engineering behind this plan, strictly for my own peace of mind.

I wish you could buy a 6 pack of the 'refillable' kind for cheap.

Here are the brass caps I bought to go on my 'nonrefillable' ones

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYPK1GF/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I don't think the OPD valves stop the flow when the tank is upside down.

Thanks for adding this. It piqued my interest to find out a little more about the effects of the float in the newer tanks.

According to propane101.com:

OPD Valve Operation
Propane OPD valves operate inside the bottle and are activated as the liquid propane in the cylinder rises to a level that pushes a float upward stopping the flow of gas into the bottle. This action is similar to that of a float valve in a toilet; once the water in the bowl rises to a certain level, the flow of water stops. The OPD valve is only actuated during the filling process, not during operation. In other words, inverting a cylinder will cause an OPD float to actuate but it will not stop the flow of gas out of the cylinder. Why is this important to know? Because the OPD valve is not designed to restrict flow out of the cylinder, it's only designed to stop flow into the cylinder during the filling process. OPD equipped propane cylinders will allow liquid propane into gas lines and hoses if tipped over or inverted. Overfill Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during cylinder usage.

OPD valves are also designed to only allow propane into and out of the bottle if attached to the appropriate hose end connection. The threads on this type of connection are called ACME threads and are visible on the OPD valve at the point of connection. The ACME threads are easily identified by how much larger and farther apart they are as compared to normal pipe threads. OPD valves will not allow propane out of the bottle if it is not hooked up to anything. This is why turning (opening) an OPD handwheel on an unattached bottle does nothing in terms of letting propane out. Many people think that the bottle is empty but in fact, the cylinder needs to be hooked up to allow any gas out.

I did refill my 1lb tanks, I didn't need to but hated the waste. I also use the brass caps with seals. I had some that leaked after a re-fill, I even had some NEW ones that leaked after only one use that the brass caps help contain.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

That safety engineering at its finest. You know which side of the curve you want to be on.

I've had three one pound bottleshVe valve failure in my life. It's quite spectacular.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: