Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

I refill 1lb propane 'one-use' tanks on a regular basis.

The danger problem isn't the main valve on top - it's the schrader valve at the side, that has to be pulled opened with a suitable tool (DIY) in order to fill the 1lb tank to 80% quickly and safely. That side valve is r-e-a-l-l-y a one-time use valve. I reckon about 10-15% of my 'old' tanks don't seal properly at that valve once this valve has been woken/broken into use. Use your eyes, nose and ears!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

My OG propane tank has finally ran out of propane! I thought it was magical and was never ending!

I'm going to drop my OG tank and switch to the 1lb canisters.

I noticed Syncro Joel used a 1-stage regular and Van/Cafe + RMW both use 2-stage. One post earlier said some states require the two stage. I really like the placement of Joel's. I don't think I can do that with the two stage. Any thoughts?

Marshall
Type: Two Stage
Max. Inlet Pressure: 250 PSI
Inlet Connection: 1/4" FNPT
Outlet Connection: 3/8" FNPT
Exterior Finish: Raw Zinc / Powder Coated

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Excelsior-MEGR-295...amp;sr=8-1
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

How does the refillable propane canister address the anhydrous vs standard propane issue?
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

My Westy came without the stock propane tank to power the stove. I've looked through this thread and considered a couple of options, then got a wild hair and did a search on the Intertron. This is what I came up with:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1) KIBOW Low Pressure Regulator w/ 2 ft Hose - Type 1 QCC1 (fits 20 lb can)
1) GASPRO 1 lb Propane Adapter

Ready-made, Plug-and-Play. Found on Amazon. Under $20.00 total.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

just an FYI, you don't need the adapter if you change the end on the regulator to a 1/4 Male Pipe Thread x 1"-20 Female Throwaway Cylinder Thread Fitting

https://www.google.com/search?q=1/4+Male+Pipe+Thre...ad+Fitting

shadetreemech wrote:
My Westy came without the stock propane tank to power the stove. I've looked through this thread and considered a couple of options, then got a wild hair and did a search on the Intertron. This is what I came up with:

Cool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

I got wha I needed at Home Depot. Hooked it up, checked for leaks, works great. Haven’t blown anything up yet.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
just an FYI, you don't need the adapter if you change the end on the regulator to a 1/4 Male Pipe Thread x 1"-20 Female Throwaway Cylinder Thread Fitting

https://www.google.com/search?q=1/4+Male+Pipe+Thre...ad+Fitting

shadetreemech wrote:

Cool

Good point, Dan.

I wanted to be able to hook up to a 20 lb tank should I get another wild hair.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

well yer gunna want a longer hose than that one then.. well maybe not.. hven't tried stuffing a 20# into the sink galley cabinet.
or is your hose hook up on the outside? that'd take a little more work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
I refill 1lb propane 'one-use' tanks on a regular basis.

The danger problem isn't the main valve on top - it's the schrader valve at the side, that has to be pulled opened with a suitable tool (DIY) in order to fill the 1lb tank to 80% quickly and safely. That side valve is r-e-a-l-l-y a one-time use valve. I reckon about 10-15% of my 'old' tanks don't seal properly at that valve once this valve has been woken/broken into use. Use your eyes, nose and ears!

The problem is actually the propane in the disposables is anhydrous - by design.

The propane from Bobs Gas for a gas grill is not, and rusts out the refillable.

Thats why its an up to $25,000 fine for transporting refilled disposable Propane bottles.

Arguing "I have done it for years" is failed experiential based logic.
The_Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

For those that might be interested, FlameKing produces a DOT legal refillable 15.4 oz propane bottle and has a kit to allow for refilling from a 20lb cylinder.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The problem is actually the propane in the disposables is anhydrous - by design.
The propane from Bobs Gas for a gas grill is not, and rusts out the refillable.
Thats why its an up to $25,000 fine for transporting refilled disposable Propane bottles.
Arguing "I have done it for years" is failed experiential based logic.

The charge that this is dangerous could be the “failed experiential based logic” or otherwise known as “a guess”.

Another guess is that the $25,000 fine etc is to prevent the creation of “cannister refill exchange businesses” which is completely understandable. It could be a booming business in the “commercial camping” areas because a cannister holds about 75cents of propane yet costs appx $6 each. They’d sell fast for $4 or $5 each.

Current restrictions offer good protection to the one-time-use cannister industry which has a pretty good thing going.

Could “date” your refillables With a sharpie & change them out periodically. Fresh cans are not hard to come by.

And if anyone has a really “old” one, cut it open and post pics of the corrosion inside. I have some old ones with “Bob’s propane” in them for at least 5 years, maybe towards 8 years. But they’re full, and I won’t remember to cut them open when empty. Which I suppose contributes to the “failed experiential based logic” that we got goin’ on here.

Best thing going are the aftermarket caps. They get pretty safe at that point.
It might be sensible to mark the number of times you refilled it on the can & change out for newer cans after 5 or 10 refills.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
monstersteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

It puzzles me that a Westy owner who camps would want to ditch the tank the van came with in favor of fiddle-farting around using 1 lb canisters. Even if there isn't a hazard involved in the economy of refilling the canisters from a 5 gal. tank, why hassle with that? My own story with a 1 lb. can was a trip north on 101 to San Francisco. The cupboard where I keep my lantern and some canisters popped open on the highway and a canister or two rolled out. One apparently rolled up to the heater vent on the floor behind the two front seats. Just as I was entering SF I heard a loud "POP" and "HISssss" accompanied by the distinctive aroma of propane. That little side plug had failed when the canister got hot. No place to pull over, so I rolled the windows down quickly and dissipated the propane before anything ignited it. Pretty scary for a minute or so.

The tank on my '83 has performed well for years. Changed the regulator when it pooped out. Easy-peasy.

On my '81, the westy came with an icebox and no stove - no propane. I got a $100 fridge on Craig's list and it fit right in the hole. Figured out the wiring and plumbed it through the factory hole to where the propane tank mounts. Found a Westy tank on Samba for $60 (even had propane in it) and cleaned it up - wire wheeled the rust off and painted it all pretty. Not hard to install at all - basically bolted it on and plumbed it to the fridge, careful to insulate the line from rubbing on metal.

Way cheaper to fill that stock tank up than to buy multiple $6 1 lb canisters that only last a short while. The tank is sturdy and made out of thick metal. The fittings are available. This guy has some of the odder (NLA) stuff you can't get at Volks Cafe (now Rocky Mtn Westy) http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/ And if you run out in the middle of nowhere, you can use a 1 lb. canister to refill. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612317
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

It's easy to just bolt on another 3 gallon standard tank on the passenger side, all the bolt holes are there waiting for you.

I did this 10 years ago and just shift back and forth between the two, keeping one valve closed for use as a "spare."

I keep the Dometic on for months that way, use my Propex and stove as needed, never run out even after a few weeks off grid.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

When I bought my Westy the stock cylinder had been removed. Rather than bolt a $350 bomb into the crash zone on the Driver's side, I bought the components to adapt the stove to 1 lb. cylinders. I get 'em for $4.99 @ at my local Army Surplus store. Cylinders not in use are stored in my roof top box. The same cylinders fit in my Lil' Buddy heater.

Dan
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Hello all,
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I ONLY want to use the 1lb bottle for the stove - nothing else. Do I still need a regulator or just an adapter for the canister->stove connection? Anyone have Amazon links for what I need?
Thanks!
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Here's what I used to switch to the 1lb bottles on mine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DTK8KLF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYDJ694/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6CL9YX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the original Westy exterior tank, I still cannot find a single shop that will pressure test mine after I replaced components on the tank. I want it pressure tested before putting propane in it, not find out there's an issue during fill-up!

Yes, I could buy a new replacement unit and replace my original tank, but I'm not shelling out that much money for something that's not going to get used often.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Here's what I used to switch to the 1lb bottles on mine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DTK8KLF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYDJ694/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6CL9YX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the original Westy exterior tank, I still cannot find a single shop that will pressure test mine after I replaced components on the tank. I want it pressure tested before putting propane in it, not find out there's an issue during fill-up!

Yes, I could buy a new replacement unit and replace my original tank, but I'm not shelling out that much money for something that's not going to get used often.

Thanks!!!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
Hello all,
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I ONLY want to use the 1lb bottle for the stove - nothing else. Do I still need a regulator or just an adapter for the canister->stove connection? Anyone have Amazon links for what I need?
Thanks!

Yes, you'll still need a regulator. propane in those bottles is at a much higher pressure than the stove can use safely, hence the need for a regulator to regulate the flow of propane from the bottle. Its measured in water column an you want 11" of water column. But no need to do that, just buy the $14 regulator in the post above (unless you really like the science).

https://www.propane101.com/regulators.htm

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/manometer/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
wagohn wrote:
Hello all,
Thanks!

Yes, you'll still need a regulator. propane in those bottles is at a much higher pressure than the stove can use safely, hence the need for a regulator to regulate the flow of propane from the bottle. Its measured in water column an you want 11" of water column. But no need to do that, just buy the $14 regulator in the post above (unless you really like the science).

Will the 2ft version work? My bottle is right under the sink. Thanks.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

It should. I've got mine under the sink.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: