Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
It should. I've got mine under the sink.

Thanks to all Smile
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
wagohn wrote:
Hello all,
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I ONLY want to use the 1lb bottle for the stove - nothing else. Do I still need a regulator or just an adapter for the canister->stove connection? Anyone have Amazon links for what I need?
Thanks!

Yes, you'll still need a regulator. propane in those bottles is at a much higher pressure than the stove can use safely, hence the need for a regulator to regulate the flow of propane from the bottle. Its measured in water column an you want 11" of water column. But no need to do that, just buy the $14 regulator in the post above (unless you really like the science).

https://www.propane101.com/regulators.htm

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/manometer/

Parts came today, you guys are great! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

^^^ In many ways it doesn't make a difference, but do you know what camper conversion you have? Country Homes? Adventurewagen? Home built? For some questions regarding the camper gear that may make a difference. Not in this case though.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^ In many ways it doesn't make a difference, but do you know what camper conversion you have? Country Homes? Adventurewagen? Home built? For some questions regarding the camper gear that may make a difference. Not in this case though.

Started life as a bus, PO put a Westfalia interior in it. There was a hookup for a full-size bottle to sit outside the bus, but I really only need the 1lb size. We do dog shows in the winter and having access to make a hot drink/soup (or take a nap) is going to pretty slick. Wink
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Hook up to use, cap off with brass cap when done. Clamp that bottle up , too.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:

So first bottle worked great, then my daughter was changing the canister and the new canister caused a huge leak between the tube and the black twist connector. I got a replacement regulator and tube but same thing, the gas comes gushing out when attempting to connect the bottle. So the only, thing that I haven't changed is the brass adapter - which is new too.
Any ideas? Are those little bottles all the same? It all worked great until we switched out the bottle.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
wagohn wrote:

So first bottle worked great, then my daughter was changing the canister and the new canister caused a huge leak between the tube and the black twist connector. I got a replacement regulator and tube but same thing, the gas comes gushing out when attempting to connect the bottle. So the only, thing that I haven't changed is the brass adapter - which is new too.
Any ideas? Are those little bottles all the same? It all worked great until we switched out the bottle.

Try one of these if you can attach it to a regulator. You should be able to unscrew that fitting and install this. Make sure you get some propane tape for the threads. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-1-4-in-Male-...lsrc=aw.ds
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Try one of these if you can attach it to a regulator. You should be able to unscrew that fitting and install this. Make sure you get some propane tape for the threads. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-1-4-in-Male-...lsrc=aw.ds

Thank you, I will.
leminem88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

hi. so I just took the long adventure of converting my stove's gas line to work off a 1 lb tank. tried going to BBQ supplier stores, home depot, hardware stores, and plumbing stores only to be told it can't be done. well after ordering a few things off amazon, I was able to get it done really simply.

I have an 82 air-cooled and the line coming off the stove is a 3/4 flare and that is what you will need.

MENSI 1LB Propane Bottle and Small Butane Cansiter Adjustable Regulator with Hose 31.5“ Long G1/4" Left Thread and 3/8" Female Swivel Universal Thread for Camper https://a.co/d/bQVSqMq

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Way too many connections and soft hose needs both protection and an inspection protocol
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Our setup is similar but we did away with the green Coleman type propane cannisters. Mainly because of the expense, but secondary that it's technically illegal to transport those.
We use refillable, travel-approved cannisters:
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Refillable-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B00MM3GCVO
One 20lb propane tank has given us refills for literally years. Easy to fill and fully legal.
We always disconnect the bottle while travelling.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Way too many connections and soft hose needs both protection and an inspection protocol

I thank the OP for providing the link to the regulator set up.

If sealed properly those connections should be fine. And the soft hose can be put in an area that does not get it in danger of being cut. I did not take it that the pic was necessarily the final result.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

To the guys with the 1lb propane bottles inside the van…

Any issues?

Do you soap and water test before using?

I imagine you don’t leave the 1lb bottles connected all the time?

If the bottles aren’t connected i imaging there’s not much danger from just carrying around the bottles? Just as much as if you bought them from a store and we’re taking them camping?
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

No issues with the connections or use after a few years switching to the 1 pound bottles. Yes, soapy water to test for leaks.

I'm going to be ditching the Coleman style 1 pound bottles and going with a Flame King refillable bottle, as no one in my area will take the used up bottles for disposal.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Same here, no issues with the 1LB bottles in a couple of years. As stated, we use the Flame King bottles approved for refilling. Still on the same 20LB donor bottle to fill them - big savings.
We connect the 1LB bottles at our destination and disconnect when leaving. Flame King are also approved for transportation.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

here is an updated link for anyone that wants one of these. the link above is out of stock , this is the same fittings on either end and is comparable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DFSWHQG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Walty87 wrote:

Do you soap and water test before using?

I have have propane at a cabin, a house, a van and am regularly futzing with stuff and checking for leaks. I find a propane detector like this to be far easier to use and it gives me greater confidence that there are no leaks. I've used several and this $20 unit is as good as all of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Detector-PT199-Natural-Port...5&th=1

That said, for a one-time install, soap and water will work perfectly well (that or my travel partner - her sniffer is one of the most sensitive on the planet and detects propane when all I smell is bacon).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

In a mobile app there is constant vibration that will loosen flarecnuts and joints, these forces dont exist in home applications , so the safety associated with these at home does not extend to a car. That s why codes for RV propane are different. On boats, you have to have a one piece connection and a dedicated shut off solenoid yo an isolated propane locker.

You can use a one piece rubber hose connection safely. Disconnect can before moving. Use a brass cap to safely cap off the can, and stow it safely so it doesn’t bang around. Stress and chafe relieve the rubber hose, inspect and soap test before each use.

These amateur huge collections of brass adapters and fittings do not belong in your Bus
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

Not to derail the thread but all the links, when clicked, just refreshes the Samba page
It does not send one to the linked site

On to topic:
I use the 1lb coleman, but I rarely cook inside the van
I carry a camp stove as well (for cooking etc)
The 1lb is disconnected when not in use
It ss compatible with the camp stove
This method keeps smells and grease, etc from permeating the interior
my .02c
T
Rear discs
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove Reply with quote

I wrote a thread on how I did it with a proper vented propane locker.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=770317&highlight=propane+locker

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: