Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brothers VW - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: brothersvw
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: April 18, 2024
agggilli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my new mag case, crank, rods, cam, pistons, flywheel, clutch and A1 exhaust all through Brothers. I am happy with it all. The machine work was excellent, and when I did assembly all of my clearances were spot on. The communication was the best I have ever experienced, and Jacob and the brothers are the best to work with. I would highly recommend them to anyone. They are very quick and efficient and the shipping is excellent as well. I live on the East Coast and Jacob packaged everything perfectly so it would arrive unscathed, like he was sending it to himself. I give them ten thumbs up. Very Happy
carlostam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another happy customer here too.. Been dealing with Nato via phone and email. He has always answered me back promptly. There packaging is great. I have about two trash bags full of peanuts and foam. They really don't spare on there packaging...
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my T3 case back, quick turn around, nice looking work.
Well packaged too.

only disappointing thing was I didn't get a Brothers sticker for the window of the square.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
flymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my heads from Brothers...What an awesome job Nato did.They're very informative and helpful.Well packed,so no broken fins and super fast shipping .....
GonzoTx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Brothers earlier this year to order the heads I thought I needed, but after talking to Jakob about my set up and what I wanted to do with it, he steered me to a less expensive set and he was right on the money ! Not only do they work perfectly, but the machining was beautiful and the price was unbeleivable !!! The comunication was prompt (several times he replied to my email within minutes) and Jake had an answer for all my questions.
Brothers is a 5 star outfit that I plan on sending all my business to in the future as well as telling all my V-Dub loving buddies !
JoshuaJayG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is the opposite of 99% of these posts. I WILL NOT USE BROTHERS AGAIN.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483641&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I had them do all my machine work on my old 1641 that I recently purchased. The engine was in dire need of a rebuild and I chose them because of their price. I got all my new parts from them and the machining for my crank/rods/case to make it an 1835.

After 1300 miles, my car was smoking like a freight train. I took the engine back apart and the piston clip broke in half on the #3 cylinder, tore up the P&C, and was dumping oil into the cylinder.

They contacted AA to get a warranty replacement on the set and sent it to me after a little over a month of waiting. I was still searching as to the cause of the clip breaking and after a lot of testing, modok confirmed my rods were bent/machined wrong.

Brothers denied that they could be bent or mis-machined for any reason and has basically blown me off. I did talk them into giving me a refund on the price of the rod machining.

Joshua
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dc1962cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Super Engine Case Reply with quote

I was checking out the feedback on Brothers and was impressed with the positive remarks.I called them about the price of a super engine case they have listed on their website for $700.00.(I was going to purchase one) They also have the same case listed on this site for $745.00. When I called they said that same case is now $780.00 and its been that price for over a month. I asked if he would honor either web site prices and he refused.Seems like it wasn't worth it to them to gain a new customer or keep their price list up to date.Said he didn't have the time.
catarinoforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my shortblock, cylinders, and opened-up heads from brothers. I'm a newb and i like to ask a lot of questions.

The brothers have been very patient and explain everything clearly.

I had asked for a 2276 shortblock, which has so far been superbly built. they installed deep sump, welded on the pick up, painted the case, drilled and tapped the galleys and everything looks awesome.

I hadn't planned on buying cylinders and pistons yet, but their price was second to none for the pistons and cylinders i wanted. when i asked how i should go about balancing them and getting them ready, Nato offered to do it for me. While i waited, he was nice enough to offer my fiance and I some sodas.

When the pistons and cylinders were done, i had asked what CCs the heads were at. they didn't know, so they checked them, then flycut them to my required CCs.

Note: they didn't charge me for the flycutting or the piston balancing. Offered to set up my deckheight and install the P/Cs if i waited another day. I declined because i wanted to do some of the stuff myself.

After all was loaded up, they offered me advice and made sure that I knew i could call and ask them for any advice on the rest of the build.

I've had a great experience with Brothers, from the time i walked in to get quotes, until today.

here's the build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521208
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt ask for more from Nato and his older bro.. They took care of me and provided me with the stuff that i needed to build my 2276.. Im also a newbie and had a lot of question and they explain pretty much everthing from giving me option and how to do it and stuff to do my build. Im from hawaii but move to vegas, i went to cali friday drop my block to nato and went with things needed and he ask me when i leavin, i said saturday n he set it up as a ASAP job, i know both of them are busy but they manage to do it in time.. I run out of money but surely Vw Brothers is where ill be shopping everything to build my 2276.. Thanks guys and see you guys soon.. Its worth the drive to Vw Brothers Machine Shop..
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to air a little issue out here since it doesn't seem to be getting resolved otherwise. earlier this year i bought a set of the china casting 40x35.5 heads and a set of the 1.25 rockers they were offering at the time. the heads looked great and initially i have to say i couldn't have said more good about Brothers.

however we did run into a problem with the rockers. well actually the rockers were perfect. where we did run into a problem was with the adjusters. of the 8 there were at least 3 different "cup" profiles. no that were not useable because of that BUT the real problem was NONE were threaded to the same level on the shafts. most were useable but 2 the threading stopped nearly 1/8" earlier than the others leaving NO adjustment on those 2.

i called Brothers and spoke to them about the issue and they offer credit to swap for Scats which i didn't want. was then offered to be sent USEABLE adjusters which i was completely happy with. now the problem is that offer was 2 months several unanswered calls/messages and even more unresponded to emails(including the initial one i was asked to send with my address to send the adjusters to which i thought was weird since they had my original order info).

so i don't want to talk bad about Brothers BUT i don't want this issue resolved as we temporarily shimmed the rockers to make everything useable for break-in.

i will gladly remove/modify this when i get resolution...ken....
scooby223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered a set of 40x35 heads bored for 94mm nice heads also got an Engle w110 got all shipped across country for cheaper than I could get heads local and didn't charge for the 94mm either like most vendors. fast shipping good service thanks A+

1969 Dune Runner Mini Mercedes
1985 Ford F250 460 1 owner 64000 mi
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great machine work, super fast turn around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a long block from Brother's to replace a toasted 1600 DP. Stock, but drilled and tapped for full flow, balanced rotating assembly.

Pros: Nice guys, clean shop. Broke it in as suggested here, just put 300 miles on the new engine. Smooth, runs great. Huge improvement.

Cons: They used white silicone everywhere on this motor. Not a huge deal, but ick. I mean everywhere. The drain plug, the sump plate, the relief plugs. Communication was sketchy and they took longer than promised, but they were busy as hell and had a bunch of projects all going at the same time, so no big deal. They were honest and apologetic about the delay.

Bottom line is that they did the work exactly as they promised, the engine runs great, and I'll use them again and highly recommend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Lifter guides and shuffle pins Reply with quote

Brothers did a beautiful job on my mag case installing bronze lifter guides and shuffle pins. Sounds real busy down there when I call, but had a fast turnaround. Shipping to Canada is much appreciated.

Cheers

Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome people, they even remember me when i came in to there shop.. Will recommend nato and his brother and they very informative to what will work best with me.. i know their busy but still fast turn around for my flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk and mahles piston that is all balance.. next is buying my heads for the set=up
Offy 220
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: 36hp case machining Reply with quote

I had Brothers Machine Shop install case savers, tap all oil galley plugs and deck my 36hp case. They do clean work and a fast turnaround. Highly recommended!
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleased with Brothers ..

We bought a Brothers long block for a 70 bug project we have in the shop. We bought their 1776 "stock" long block and requested a 100 cam upgrade. We ordered it 2/17/14, it was shipped out 2/26/14, and arrived at our shop 3/6/14 (we are in Virginia). The engine was live tested and broke in by Brothers before they shipped it to us. Motor cost $1450 plus $300 core charge plus $160 shipping for a total of $1910 to the door.

It actually took us a couple of months to get the car ready to install the engine, but we have got it in and it fired right up. Runs great, sounds awesome, and no leaks.

I will report back after we put some miles on it, but we feel really good with the engine. Very pleased with Brothers workmanship and service.

If we need another engine or VW machine services will definitely call on Brothers again.

* EDIT: note that we chose a reman case rather than new

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Ardee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old skool service- THESE GUYS ROCK!!!! Renato offered options and solutions to my machining situation that i haven't gotten elsewhere in my search for a machinist to work with. I worked in a VW machine shop in the early '80's and now complain about shitty attitudes and unwillingness to do anything that isn't already thought out by someone. how refreshing! this is the go to shop now for me and anyone who will listen to me-Ardee
BerT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my engine case back with a welded full flow

Nice job they did !

Wrapped well since it had to be send back to Belgium

Bert
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Brother's VW Machine Old School Quality Reply with quote

I have been messing around with VW's since I was in high school. That was 46 years ago. I am retired now. Worked as a machinist for 45 years. My first VW was a 56' Oval, completely stock. Had a broken crankshaft. Cost $25 to fix. I've owned Splits, Ovals, 67's, Type 2's and Karmann Ghias. Built a few engines and cars. I discovered Brother's when they were first starting out in a little shop by the railroad tracks in Pomona. I built a 2165 Weber engine for my car. The engine is still running like a top. In the past couple of years I've put together two engines for cars I own at present. Built the same way and size, but run totally different. Not bad just different. They have good results and care about their product. I recommend you check them out if you are considering building an engine for your VW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: