Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

24K Mile 66 Teak S'Back on eBay
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: 24K Mile 66 Teak S'Back on eBay Reply with quote

Was surfing eBay tonight and happened uponst this teak Squareback...appears to be a pretty nice car...I have no affiliation with this car...just a messenger...if this is a no-no, please delete this post as I meant no harm...Thanks

Auction # 170133900704
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, the beautiful teak we have talked about before her in the Type 3 forum. Very cool indeed. Interested to see if the reserve will be met...

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link?
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anniehum wrote:
Link?

Sorry no link...I did have a link, but I placed a bid on this car and every time I now view it it shows all of my bid info...I'm really a non-player on this one...just a dreamer, as I feel this car is going to go for BIG $$...just go on eBay and search using the auction # I've provided in my opening post.
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
TailTip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-VOLKSWAGON-SQU...dZViewItem
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome car but from seeing it for sale in the past, I'm guessing the reserve is unreasonable given the true value of such a VW.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSFANFORLIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: What would reasonable be on this car Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Awesome car but from seeing it for sale in the past, I'm guessing the reserve is unreasonable given the true value of such a VW.

I am new here and this is my first post. While surfing around the site I have found it quite informative. I have always owned volkswagons my whole life and just love them. The one on ebay looks like a gem.

My question is what do you think this car on ebay should sell for. Given it has the rare teak interior and only 24,000 miles. The seller also says it was not for american delivery and is the european model. Not that I am saying I could afford it. But what would you expect to see it sell for.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the reserve is close to $20,000.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have pictures of that "original roof rack" ?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had it on this site for $14,000 so I would guess the reserve is around that amount.

I think went up to $8,300 last time it was on eBay, which was at least a year ago. I think that was a fair value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
He had it on this site for $14,000 so I would guess the reserve is around that amount.

I think went up to $8,300 last time it was on eBay, which was at least a year ago. I think that was a fair value.

I think $8k would be a great deal for that car..!!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSFANFORLIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Maybe I am new here but Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
EverettB wrote:

When has any car these days with 24,000 Miles sold for 8,000.00 Let alone a minty looking one like that. I would love to own it but I would think that a steal would be 12-15K. And true value would be much higher.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That Squareback has 24,000 miles on the odometer. Indeed, a low mileage Tpe 3. I would like to have a Squareback who is next to original condition. But I guess, owning one is very expensive. Nevertheless, with that mind condition, it is worth keeping.
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe I am new here but Reply with quote

It's worth what someone will pay for it. If it was a steal at 12-14K, I think someone would have bought it in the 2-3 years it's been for sale.

I would personally pay $8k for it but not $12K-$14K.
I think a red-dash car is worth more.

I have seen quite a few low mileage Squarebacks for under $8K over recent years.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe I am new here but Reply with quote

VOLKSFANFORLIFE wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
EverettB wrote:

When has any car these days with 24,000 Miles sold for 8,000.00 Let alone a minty looking one like that. I would love to own it but I would think that a steal would be 12-15K. And true value would be much higher.

And thinking like that is what is driving a lot of good people out of the AC VW scene.
I would not give $15k for that car. I don't care how clean and original it is.

DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe I am new here but Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
VOLKSFANFORLIFE wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
EverettB wrote:

And thinking like that is what is driving a lot of good people out of the AC VW scene.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but Type IIIs just don't have the value of bugs and buses.. They are going up, but will never be as sought after as other volkswagens! On top of htat this one is a 4 lugger, and if you haven't noticed 4 luggers are not desireable...
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe I am new here but Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
DMNCLNR wrote:

Sorry if anyone is offended, but Type IIIs just don't have the value of bugs and buses.. They are going up, but will never be as sought after as other volkswagens! On top of htat this one is a 4 lugger, and if you haven't noticed 4 luggers are not desireable...

Only in SoCal. I prefer the 4 lug. Easier to get parts for. Have Disk brakes as standard. And in the past couple years, the price of T-3's prices have been coming up a lot.

DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe I am new here but Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:

Only in SoCal. I prefer the 4 lug. Easier to get parts for. Have Disk brakes as standard. And in the past couple years, the price of T-3's prices have been coming up a lot.

Fix your qoute, I personally do not think that is a 13-15k car... And im glad you love the 4 luggers because someone has to Wink
Pl@y@ #1
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the seller via phone.. They want $15000 for it.
Chory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am woefully ignorant; but how on earth is one to surmise that this car actually has 24000 orig. miles? We're talking about a vehicle with an odometer which only counts to the tens of thousands...what's to say it's not a well-preserved 124K mile car? Or, one with newish (OG) interior?

Albeit, the car is lovely; but a good steam cleaning can get the motor cleanish, and I have known some people (my father) who are fastidously anal-retentive about their vehicle's interior.

What are the realistic chances that this car was actually driven only 585.37 miles per year over the last 41 years? Are you going to really trust the seller? Or the Government-employed schmucks at the Department of Motor Vehicles (assuming it lived its whole life in a state which does odo checks)?

I mean, really, there are only so many cars which sat in perfect condition in grandma's garage and only made twice weekly trips 1 mile to the grocery store and post-office...it seems doubtfull that every third car on E-Bay sould be one of them. Or in this case "car collectors;" who, I ask, in 1968 was buying little, used VWs for <$2000 as collectors items?...I smell fish there.

15k is ASTRONOMICAL; especially in an ad with overt fictions such as "Back then you would deal with a VW rep and not a dealer." If we look at the dealers listing in the technical data on this very site, we can see that there were US dealers as early as 1954.

Perhaps I have trust issues, or perhaps it's just better to take things at face value. It's a nice looking car in fine shape. it's worth what the others are worth—restored or orig.—and no more, certainly not 15k.

In truth, I hope it sells for 15k to some hollywood Celeb (can you say Paris Hilton) who will make them famous so we all make a fortune selling them to teenie-bopper morons for 300 times what we have into them!
‘91 Honda Beat (JDM, mid-engine, KEI)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: