Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Wiring question Reply with quote

I finished re-wiring my car and almost burned it up before it ever got on the road. Shouldn't the black wire to the coil only be hot when the ignition is on or did I wire something wrong?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Beetle
72 Schnepp XL13 Vintage Formula Vee
72 Caldwell D13 Vintage Formula Vee
71 Super Beetle convertible
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, only when key is on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought. I've traced and re-traced my wires according to the wiring diagram and the instructions that came with the harness. I don't see where I made any mistakes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warcrocop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63bug wrote:
That's what I thought. I've traced and re-traced my wires according to the wiring diagram and the instructions that came with the harness. I don't see where I made any mistakes.

Your first mistake was not investing in a multimeter before you started to rewire your car.
139...sweeeet
beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its simple...the wire from the coil goes directly to the ign.switch. Check to see that the wires are correct at the switch. Also make sure it is the right switch for the car. Use a multimeter or continuity tester on the switch to see that it is working properly.
65Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a meter. That's how I discovered that the coil wire was hot all the time. I have all the wires run according the original wiring diagram and the directions that came from Wiring Works. It does not show the wire going directly to the ignition switch. I have what I assume to be the correct 4 terminal screw in switch.

63 Beetle
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your replacement harness uses the factory color patterns (some Brazilian ones don't), the black wire from Terminal #15 on the coil should be hooked to the corresponding Terminal #15 on the ignition switch. That terminal should only be hot when the ignition switch is on. The two #30 terminals are hot all the time. The lug with the biggest hole is for the fat (6 mm) red wire coming from the bolt-down solenoid terminal via the main harness. The other #30 terminal is for the 4.5 mm red wire that goes into the dash harness and is connected to a #30 terminal on the headlight switch. The last terminal (#50) is for the 2.5 mm red wire that goes back into the main harness and is connected to the small screw terminal (or spade terminal if a '61 or later starter) on the solenoid. This terminal is only hot with the switch in the "start" position.

Unless your ignition switch is bad or you have a short in your new harness, it appears you've got the black coil wire hooked to the smaller #30 terminal on the ignition switch.
65Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. I ran the coil wire directly to terminal 15 instead of to the fuse block and it makes the wire hot only when the key is "on". That is contrary to the original wiring diagram which shows the black coil wire going to the fuse block, but it works! The confusing thing is I have an extra semaphore harness since I have the Euro model and I have to figure out and only use the wires I need. The semaphores still work with the coil wire going directly to #15 on the ignition switch, but now the indicator light on the speedo doesn't light up.
Thanks for your help,

63 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: