Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What temperature/humidity?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastorange72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: What temperature/humidity? Reply with quote

I want to spray my car this weekend, it will be a flat finish and doesn't need to be perfect. I just need to know what is the highest humidity and temperature I should attempt this at. I am just spraying it in my garage out of the sunlight but it is still pretty warm in there. It is a single stage paint job, just primer and then color. Any help is apreciated!
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could, i would try to spray in the early A.M. when the temp is cooler because it will give you a little more working time before the paint really gets to kick off. Working in really high humidity can cause the paint to "Blush" (an area that looks like it has a blemish to it)
fastorange72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. I gave it a shot and it went pretty well. I can tell what you mean about it kicking in. I had to pretty much go one panel at a time with the primer, but working steadily, it looks ok. As far as blemishes and a not so uniform appearance, that's okay...it's a rat style volksrod. The color will be flat copper. When you say really high humidity do you mean upwards of 50%, 60%, etc? Thanks for the advice I appreciate the help.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What temperature/humidity? Reply with quote

Didn’t want to start a new topic so l thought I would piggy back off this 2007 post.

What’s the minimum temp you have successfully applied a bc/cc paint job?

My vw is paint ready but the high temp today is forecasted at 55 degrees. I can heat my dyi paint booth to 65, maybe 70. If I wait until Monday high temp is expected to be 68-70 degrees meaning I can heat to an easy 80 degrees.
The urethane reducer I purchased is medium as is the activator for the clear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What temperature/humidity? Reply with quote

I would wait for sure. SO many stories of people rushing and then having to re-do something
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What temperature/humidity? Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Didn’t want to start a new topic so l thought I would piggy back off this 2007 post.

What’s the minimum temp you have successfully applied a bc/cc paint job?

My vw is paint ready but the high temp today is forecasted at 55 degrees. I can heat my dyi paint booth to 65, maybe 70. If I wait until Monday high temp is expected to be 68-70 degrees meaning I can heat to an easy 80 degrees.
The urethane reducer I purchased is medium as is the activator for the clear.

IRRC the times and settings provided by manufacturers are based on 70* F and ~65% humidity. Make sure your MEATL temp is what you go by. That can vary from the surrounding air temp.

Check out and search through the SPI forums for a wealth of painting-related information.
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: