Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eVanagon Project is underway.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: eVanagon Project is underway. Reply with quote

http://www.e-vanagon.blogspot.com/

Yall can watch from home.

Very Happy

Can't wait to get started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked YES!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting. I guess I figured a vanagon would be way too heavy to make a reasonable EV. The usual candidates for EVs seem to be rabbits, air cooled porsches and the like. Hope it works out.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

Kinda bummed the HS kids already yanked the old motor. I wanted to get dirty. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lead - Acid batteries??????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 1st day was cool. We laid out all the parts and talked about the idea and project.

Turns out:

we are using a book by Mike Brown,

http://www.amazon.com/Convert-Michael-Brown/dp/1879857944

Dude sells kits for MKI Golfs and Jettas bolt in, right out of the box. We got a custom kit. The book covers whats involved and how-to, its basic, but its a general plan book for converting a small FWD car..

Yes, lead acid 6v Golf Cart batteries.. Given the availability and power/weight ratio/cost they are not a bad alternative since this project is being funded by a non-profit.

I got lots of pics from today, but I think she (Jenny) is going to post most of them on the blog. The motor was a 1.9 WBX, blown head gaskets, its gonna go on E-bay at some point.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wink
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so cool! I'm gonna be following closely. I read the link, and a link from there described that island bus that ran passengers around all day and got 50 miles on a charge. Not bad!

Are you going to run at 120V? What kind of motor is that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too will follow closely.

Daunting task, but one that will have great benefits.

Had a great discussion around the campfire about this conversion to eV.

Hydrogen. Hydrogen. It is close. The power plant ( we here in WNY have the GM R&D plant doing the think tank work!) it is coming!!!!!

I'm so glad to see someone taking the Bull by the Balls and doing it themselves.

Just get heavy load tires!!!!

Peace.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool project. I teach an environmental engineering class at my high school and we have built electric race bikes, cars and boats. I would love to do this with a van. A couple years ago we tried to get a grant from BP to convert an older single cab to electric with solar panels that lined the truck bed. They said it was too ambitious and gave the grant to an elementary school teacher who used the money for light sensitive beads and light sensitive pencils for the whole school. Dan, I read the blog but still a little confused on the logistics of this project. I would love to get in touch with the teacher (I'm assuming it is a high school class?) Keep the pictures coming.

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today was a little "slow". I like to build, too much talking. kidding (sorta).

Any how. The conversion parts are coming from EV-America (http://www.ev-america.com/)

The book we are using is called "CONVERT IT" by Mike Brown, its a basic guide, a little on the "old yet proven side" of things. It makes some real basic points, and gives lots of info on what to look for and how to do things. Its a very easy read. Nothing too in depth.

http://www.amazon.com/Convert-Michael-Brown/dp/1879857944

Its a good solid guide on what to expect and how things should be put together using non-super high end parts. This guide will give you a "simple yet thrifty and very durable" conversion process. The goal is to have you build a well-built daily driver car. Not something thats going to break records set by NASA engineers.

The batteries we are using are 6 volt golf cart batteries. Big heavy lead acid cells. Last 3-4 years with daily service.

10 batteries are going under the back seat.

8 are going in the mid-seat area

2 are going up as a center console. between the front seats.

The existing battery boxes will house a on-board 120v DC to 12v DC converter, and the other side will hold an on board charger.

The charge outlets will be the existing fuel port on the passenger side, and the oil check port behind the rear plate.

We are using a BIG ASS 9.1" electric motor. Its DC, brushed, and just well made and proven. Today we pulled the trans so we could measure and build the adapter plate and bolt the "clutch" in.

I put "clutch" in quotes since its not a clutch anymore, but just a coupler between the motor shaft and the trans input shaft. EVs dont "need" a clutch since the motor is "off" when your stopped. To shift, just let up on the gas and speed shift. Since there is no more flywheel mass, the trans shifts ok... a little slow.. or so "they" say.

Most of the talk today was on how to arrange the batteries and build boxes for them to sit in (and how to build the boxes).. as well as how to vent the batteries...

I'm like a kid in a candy store. Shocked Very Happy

Aside from the cost of the kit, the build is DUMB DUMB easy. Everything you need is pretty much "there", you just build a great big electric RC car.. haha..

We are getting new tires, right now... it has... geat ready...

4 ply passenger car tires on it..

Rolling Eyes

I just about crapped my pants when I saw them.. Just cheap junk tires.. We got new "proper" tires from Bus Depot on order.

My "Job" was to pull the trans with some non-tech people and allow them to get dirty, but not get hurt, and it went well. They had fun, I did to.

Next "job" for me is to pull apart some of the dash and wire in 3 gauges to the cluster.

1 ammeter
1 volt meter
1 "fuel gauge" (a combination of "overall wattage" left in the batteries)

The are 2" gauge pods, I'm going to pull the clock (since we no longer need fuel or coolant gauges!!) and mount two of them in there.

The 3rd (fuel) I might add on a pod to the center of the steering column so its in good view.

Its funny, I'm the only dude who knows much about "Vanagons".. its fun.

I'll keep you all updated.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys plan to deal with all the extra weight of those heavy batteries? Syncro.org or Gowesty springs? How much weight are you gaining after removing the engine, gas tank, radiator,etc...?

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after some rough calculations , were not going to do anything. Razz

Really, the engine, and cooling/fuel system was 500 lbs in the van.

Were adding a total of a 1000.

So its like an empty Westy now. Just balanced much much better.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
TSR53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! So kewl that you are doing this. The obvious benefits are keeping a vehicle out of the crusher and landfill, green running and a kit "could" be developed from this class so others could do the same.

I realize that this is a school class project and a budget must be kept, the reason for the 6v caddyshack batteries.

Qs...

- I wonder if this kit (or parts) that you've got will work with Lithium-Ion batteries?

- Will the adaptor to transmission plate work on the automatic also or is a direct connection (instead of the torque converter) a better method for this?

Keep up with the photos!
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I was skeptical when you first posted about this, but now I'm very intrigued! My son is 15 and talking about buying a Bay window bus... that might even be a better candidate because I think they're lighter but still have front disk brakes and some of the safety features that didn't exist in the Split busses. How does the author address the vacuum assist on the brakes? An electric vacuum pump? I assume there's also an electric pump for the power steering, correct? I'm sure the conversion is cheaper and easier if you use the stock trans, but does it make sense to do a direct drive or similar arrangement?

Very cool project.... thanks for the pics and info.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a wonderful idea. There is no heat (Well, very little).. no exhaust fumes, no coolant lines, no EFI system to fail, no AFM... the list goes on. MANY people have converted aircooleds before. Its really simple. The best part about a bus frame is the total insane size and weight it can carry for batteries...

Yes, the Van still has power brakes. We are using a Devilbiss 12 v vacuum pump and switch unit. This is rated for a power brake system and is commonly used. Its mounted in the back of the van. We are using the stock brake (vacuum) line.

And yes, we are more or less using a "kit" - so far the biggest deal was fabbing up battery boxes and racks to be safe and secure.
Benjamin Schott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that book, "convert it", picked it up at a garage sale the day after I bought my first MKI. I had no idea that he was still in buisness, and selling drop in kits, that may be something to look into. I am currently building a rabbit that likes its veggies, I think an EV Rabbit is in my future...I will be watching this!!!
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif6sPbbAR8

Did it.

two weeks flat! Twisted Evil
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: