Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kent's 1959 Westy project
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Kent's 1959 Westy project Reply with quote

First of all, I dont have any photos Embarassed so I humbly apologize. I have had my eye on a split windshield bus tucked under a tarp under a carport behind a house a few blocks from me for nearly a year. Each time I knocked on the door, no answer, though I would see other cars outside. Sometimes the tarp would have fallen off and you could see that the bus doesnt show any signs of rust. The paint may be original but I'm not sure. It's white over a baby bluish color and quite faded.

Finally persistence paid off and as I went by today I saw someone outside. I rolled down the window and found out it belonged to the landlord. He gave me her # and I promptly called when I got home. I talked to a woman who is likely in her late 30's - early '40s. It's her bus and she is the second owner, purchased from way old couple who bought it new in Germany. It's a '59 camper bus with ice box, seats, table, cushions - everything it came with including the original roll of toilet paper still wrapped. She had a 1600 DP installed for a trip up north, but she kept the original engine. The bus has been sitting for a number of years under the tarp with the idea that one day they'd restore it. However, she says that day may never come because of kids, other projects, demands of being a landlord, life in general, etc. She said they would likey sell it at the right price and asked what kind of money I had in mind.

Honestly, I dont know bus values and to look in the classifieds, they run the gammut. She said she turned down $8K five years ago. All in all, it's a very solid camper bus that needs all the brakes, gas tank, fuel lines - anything susceptible to sitting for 8+ years renewed. Otherwise, it's all original with all its parts. Any ideas on what would be a resonable offer to make? (Not if YOU were the seller Wink ) I'm not trying to rip them off, but of course, I'd like to get a good deal if I can Smile . However, given that I dont know how much one of these in running condition would be worth, I'm not sure where to start, pricewise. BTW, the bus is in central Florida. Thanks

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental

Last edited by 67 Florida Deluxe on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She said she turned down $8K five years ago.

So you know she won't just give it away. Look in the classifieds, figure out the high and low price. Then figure out your max and stick with it.

I wouldn't go in with a total low ball offer, as you may get the door slammed in your face. Start at the low samba price and see if you get anywhere.

Good luck

BTW keep its location to yourself....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mark Henry"]
Quote:

BTW keep its location to yourself....

You know it, Ace Wink!

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking opinions of value... Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
First of all, I dont have any photos Embarassed so I humbly apologize.

Well, with no photos and not really knowing what kind of camper it is, it is impossible to put a price on it. If it is a really nice '59 SO-23 westy 8K is reasonable. But I don't know, it probably isn't a westy. OTWs are significantly less in value. Are you SURE it is a '59?
Please ask to go back and take a better look at the camper. Bring a digital camera, and take lots of pics. Also keep surfing the classifieds and look for similar buses. Get a pic of the M-code plate (behind the passenger side of front seat), the under side, rockers, floors, jack points, etc. what kind of taillights & turn signals? dash hacked? wheel wells? both bumpers? I doubt anyone who says it is all original and complete. Does it have a pop top or a door in the roof? what kind of upholstery on the camper kit? wood or formica? what kind of side windows and curtain rods? Does it come with a tent? A toilet? pics of them? white over baby blue is not an original color combination. bondo?

A 8 year sitting bus will need a bunch of work to get it into daily driver condition, but if it is straight and rust free and has a nice camper kit, then it could be a good bus.

probably 8K is too much, guessing it is a OTW panel turned camper.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have left a message requesting a detailed inspection and I'm awaiting a call back. I will post some pics if I can get any. Right now, I'm in a holding pattern... (and I hate waiting Evil or Very Mad... ***sigh*** Neutral )

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Clara, but I only speak bug - not bus Sad . What is SO-23 and OTW?

djeaudio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO-23 is a type of camper kit that was installed on buses
here is a link to some of the characteristics
http://home.comcast.net/~sunrisebus/59westy.html

OTW means Other Than Westy there were alot of companies that did camper conversions but Westies are more sought after therefore more valuable

Last edited by djeaudio on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the FAQ; how to id a camper: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99345

OTW is not in the samba dictionary Sad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/dic/o.php
but OTW means Other Than Westfalia. Westfalia campers tend to be more valuable than OTWs. about 1959 Westfalia started using the SO- designation for the various camper kits. SO means something like special order, and there are SO- numbers for various coachwork options such as the trucks with the cherry picker lifts (like for fixing electrical lines) or hydraulic dump beds.
djeaudio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a really good link with a lot of description
http://so23westfalia.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=66&Itemid=51
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I am beginning to put together a list of what to look for and what to ask when I meet with the owner. This is great Very Happy

mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pics & good luck acquiring the bus.

If you get it make sure you bring it to Bulli Brigade 14.

click on this link for more info...

www.bullibrigade.org

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpribanic wrote:

www.bullibrigade.org

Cool. I'm from St. Pete and still have a house there. I recall seeing a VW display at the Pier a long time ago. It kinda sucks that the date for Bulli Brigade conflicts with Bug Jam. What to do if you have bugs, too Crying or Very sad

Blue Bug Blue Bus Cool

mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
mpribanic wrote:

www.bullibrigade.org

Cool. I'm from St. Pete and still have a house there. I recall seeing a VW display at the Pier a long time ago. It kinda sucks that the date for Bulli Brigade conflicts with Bug Jam. What to do if you have bugs, too Crying or Very sad Blue Bug Blue Bus Cool

It does not conflict with Bug Jam.

Sat = Bulli Brigade : Sun = Bug Jam

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpribanic wrote:

It does not conflict with Bug Jam.

Sat = Bulli Brigade : Sun = Bug Jam

Embarassed I should pay better attention to dem dare tings called "words"...

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***UPDATE***

I finally got to meet up with the owner of the camper bus. I will be adding pics, so please let me know what you think. It will be up to you guys to guide me and her to a price since neither of us have much of a clue and dont want to jip each other....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have lots more pics, so patience please, as I load them... Smile

BTW, it's a 1959

Last edited by 67 Florida Deluxe on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the numbers off the plate behind the seat:

30 06 9
374F23139156168182
UT 231 SK 693486562

Mean anything to you??

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no rust on the floors or in the door jambs. The door panels, front kick panel and headliner panel are in very nice shape. The curtains are kinda funky, but the lady said that's the way it was when she bought it from the original owners.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a water tank behind the seat. Here, she's showing the tap for the water. There is a "chemical" toilet (that's what she called it) under the seat, too.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an interesting hatch in the roof with a prop. You can prop it open at different gaps. It has wood veneer like the ceiling and walls.

The underside doesnt show any rust through

There is also a really cool refrigerator (well, more of a cooler that looks like a fridge inside). It's in one of the oval doors in the rear cabinet area. You put ice in the upper bin and it keeps stuff cool

It has two mounts in the roof for a canopy. The canopy is rolled up in a bag, but the material is the same big box pattern as the seat cushions. It makes like a "porch" awning over the double door area. Kinda cool Smile

Let me also reiterate, it hasnt run since '96 and has a 1600 cc engine and 12 v generator.

spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the tent, chemical toilet, etc, if she put it on the Samba or Ebay she'd probably do around 15K. If tents are selling for near 2K and chem toilets at least half that much, the bus as solid as it looks should be worth 12K without the ancillaries, so there you have it! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: