Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost package/Shipping company discussions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHL lost another package shipped from SC to Philly, they found it again after 3 days (this is express delivery?). The driver could not find our building. Our building is 1-1/2 blocks long, the street we are on is 2 blocks long, the number and company name are emblazoned across the top of the building in 3 foot high letters. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Signature request, FedEx ground Reply with quote

When using FedEx ground, I highly recommend requesting a signature from the recipient.

I bought a nice OG bus cargo door panel from a Samba seller and it was shipped via FedEx ground to my work address. Unfortunately the day it arrived at the office I was out sick. The package was left outside our back door (no signature required) and it was brought inside by a co-worker. Unfortunately the package got thrown out that evening by our cleaning guy.

Apparently the package arrived opened/slighly damaged and it was sitting next to a bunch of other cardboard trash that evening. The cleaning guy (a nice guy) thought it was trash, which is understandable I guess.

If the package had required a signature from a recipient, then our receptionist would have likely signed for it and been responsible for getting it at least to my desk. We may have also been able to do something about the damage the package sustained in transit.

I had another FedEx ground package arrive yesterday that I really needed for an engine I'm putting together. The FedEx driver left it outside our back door (again no signature required). Another co-worker saw it on their way out the door and brought it in to me. I also had the whole office on alert to watch out for this package after what happened with the other one last week.

So PLEASE, if you ship via FedEx ground I would at least ask the recipient if they want a signature requirement or not.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daryl DeArman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
Not sure where to put this, but I recieved this tracking number, and cannot figure out which company it is. I have tried DHL, USPS, UPS, and FEDEX. I have also tried taking the RR off, and several other things.. any ideas

rr 58688124 6 AR

THe reason I am asking is becuase I got two slips in the mail saying my package arrived. When I went to the office there was only one package there, and one was left at my door. It does not make sense to leave a package at my door and the slip at the office.. I am waiting for an additional package and am wondering if the office lost it???

If you are still looking...I can help you with this. Call the people who shipped it to you and ask who they used.

As inefficient as carriers can be it is possible that your two packages went out with two different drivers the same day. One brought it to your door, the other just delivered to the office.

It is also possible that what you have isn't a tracking number but a call tag or door knocker number.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you know if you use USPS to ship a package without purchasing insurance they have NO responsibility for the package?!?!

perhaps someone already pointed this out, but even if you buy insurance, they will only refund the claimed value of the contents, BUT THEY DO NOT REFUND THE COST OF THE SHIPPING!!! this can cause serious losses if you ship overseas, so dont forget your disclaimers!

if you ask why, they say it is a SERVICE. as in "we are doing you a favor". F**k that, i PAID for it! funny thing about the USPS- they are immune to any prosecution or accountability at all as a govt agency, and yet have a .com URL, and make deals for money, making them a business... i guess they want the best of both worlds. all US businesses sould be so lucky. then we would have a real good fuggin free-for-all

other interesting facts: the postal service has had and still has laws prohibiting several diffent forms of competition. for many years, way back when, they tried their best to prohibit fedex from performing overnight deliveries, until i would presume there was a huge squak over anti-trust issues, so they let up on that. but until just this year it was still illegal to deliver letters privately. now, to avoid similar anti-trust issues, they have changed the law to say that: get this... you can deliver letters, but you have to ask 6 times what the post office charges!!!

and you all thought i was bad for not putting tape over my labels! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kudagra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see...I ordered a mirror and it was shipped DHL. Well the drunk brain damaged driver decided the big ass grey building that UPS, USPS, FedEx and my drunk high VW friends can find in the dead of night didnt exist. DHL took it apon its self to use an address I had 4 years ago and try sending it there...not the address I had something shipped 6 months ago through them. Eventually they straigtened it out but thats pretty lame.

USPS Ive never had problems with..other then not being the cheapest or fastest or best tracked. It always gets there eventually. I always buy insurance unless the buyer chooses not to.

FedEx..I use ground mostly..Best Ive had. I sent some power Mustang seats across the country and they were helpful and quick.

UPS..dont get me started. I hope they all die. If you put NO SIGNATURE they will require one and if you ask for Signature they will leave it in the ghetto with dollar signs on it. If you want to know about UPS football check out this UPS RimJob about some wheels sold on the Vortex. I saw these before they went into the box and they were pristine. Also if they were on the car when this happened the car would be totaled.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3652410
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold two items recently to an unregistered samba visitor from Italy. There were two packages shipped on two dates, both USPS First Class Mail International. He contacted me to say that items weren't received. My reply was to say that I was in posession of the reciepts proving shipment and I would be happy to transmit copies to him. I apologized for the problem but made it clear that I was not to blame, since I had shipped promptly as agreed.
He just filed an "Item not Received Dispute" through PayPal. In my response I gave a link to the recepts.
This is frustrating because many inquiries are international. I suspect I will get burned on this one. I'll take it in stride, but I sure won't be as willing to ship to unregistered international buyers.
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ,PayPal decided in favor of the buyer, despite proof of shipment. I'll be more wary of international shipments now. Some merchants have begun excluding Italy because of problems like mine. I may do the same
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was to ship an insured item, and it arrives broken, or in my case shattered. What steps are neccesary to retrieve the money for the broken item? Is it on my end or the recipiants end?
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
If i was to ship an insured item, and it arrives broken, or in my case shattered. What steps are neccesary to retrieve the money for the broken item? Is it on my end or the recipiants end?

You being the shipper have to begin and handle the claims process. Make sure the recipient saves ALL of the packaging and packaging materials in case they want to inspect it for proper packaging. If they determine it wasn't packaged properly, you're SOL. I sent a pair of Split Bus windshields from NY to TN with UPS and one of them was broken. They paid my claim within a week and didn't inspect the package. We do a lot of shipping with UPS through where I work and occasionally have something destroyed by a carrier, usually UPS. Never had a claim denied and they were always handled quickly.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON vtechs topic^^^^^ if the do deny you call and call again and keep on it, they hate this and will give in eventually if the claim is reasonable.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious on how many people have had thier package found after FedEx "misplaced" it. They've entered a trace but havent found it yet...

I finally found this part after about 6 months and it figures it would be the one that gets lost in transit.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I had Fed Ex lose a package was when I issued a call tag for pick up. They recorded it as picked up but never found it after that and paid me the insurance.

The weird thing is that I'm not 100% sure they ever picked it up because the guy was later banned from this site for non-delivery of purchases.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 days and no scan of my package... Strange how a package can just disappear, especially a large one.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They found it. Fedex was awesome during the search.
djC4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Who is SOL? Buyer or shipper? Or split the cost? Reply with quote

USPS lost an item and the follow up letter went like this:

Thank you for contacting us about item, LC*********US.

According to our records, your item was accepted at 11:05 AM on October 11, 2008.

Priority Mail International® Flat Rate Envelope and First Class Mail International® are not guaranteed services and tracking information is not available. The only international mail service that offers complete tracking is Express Mail® service (including Global Express Guaranteed® and Express Mail International®).

The estimated delivery standard for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope is 6-10 Postal business days, and the estimated delivery standard for First Class Mail International varies by destination.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

My question is...What happens now? Who is SOL? Buyer? Shipper? Split cost? Anyone have this happen to them? Thanx.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is SOL? Buyer or shipper? Or split the cost? Reply with quote

djC4 wrote:
USPS lost an item and the follow up letter went like this:

Thank you for contacting us about item, LC*********US.

According to our records, your item was accepted at 11:05 AM on October 11, 2008.

Priority Mail International® Flat Rate Envelope and First Class Mail International® are not guaranteed services and tracking information is not available. The only international mail service that offers complete tracking is Express Mail® service (including Global Express Guaranteed® and Express Mail International®).

The estimated delivery standard for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope is 6-10 Postal business days, and the estimated delivery standard for First Class Mail International varies by destination.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

My question is...What happens now? Who is SOL? Buyer? Shipper? Split cost? Anyone have this happen to them? Thanx.

for items over $20 i get insurance and confirmation, so if i tell you i cant insure a package when im selling the part for five bucks...really i cant.
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: UPS vs USPS vs whatever Reply with quote

I have had good and bad experiences with all carriers. But here's a battle I face daily with USPS. I live in a single family house on Walnut. I constantly get mail for an apartment complex located a mile away on Glencliffe because my address NUMBER is the same. Not the street, mind you, but the NUMBER. And each of the envelopes that erroneously ends up in my mailbox has an apartment number on it as well. You would think that the fact that my house is obviously not an apartment would trigger the postman's thought processes, but I guess not. At first I would circle the street name and send it back thru the system, but that didn't work. I would always get the letter back the next day. Then I tried circling the apartment number AND the street name. Same result. For amusement I began writing a number on one the envelopes indicating how many times the letter had made the circuit from the post office back to my house again. When the number reached eleven I took matters in hand and went to look for the apartment complex. My plan was to deliver the letter myself. Unfortunately, the place turned out to have a locked gate: residents only. So now I just recycle the Glencliffe envelopes on my daily walk which takes me past the local post office. I hope the people livng on Glencliffe aren't expecting anything important in the mail!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it sounds like your mailman is a real winner! (or maybe it's a femail man??)

Have you tried contacting your local postmaster?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Lost Packages Reply with quote

Bruce:
I actually presented myself at the post office window one morning intending to head off any further misdirected deliveries, but was told my best course of action would be to speak to the mail carrier directly. Having observed this erratic guy on his appointed rounds I fear that even a gentle prodding on my part might provoke a "kill the messenger" response, so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Packages Reply with quote

doc hopper wrote:
...... might provoke a "kill the messenger" response, so to speak.

Ahhh, he might go "postal".

Maybe you can get the people at the other addresses to risk their lives?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: