Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

The only thing that detracts from your pics is the modern cars surrounding & reflecting in the Ghia.


Can't move all the modern cars out of a busy pub car park Chris...I did ask but it didn't work. Laughing
_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?
I'm sure the mathematicians among you will have an answer...Nicholas? Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member


Joined: February 13, 2005
Posts: 989
Location: Germany
udo dreisoerner is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?
I'm sure the mathematicians among you will have an answer...Nicholas? Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


i think 1958% Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Searching for a 1956 lowlight karmann ghia with a VIN number between1273054 and 1273440, and the matching engine with an Engine Number between
1525510 and 1525519 PLEASE OFFER ME ONLY THE CARS THAT I'M LOOKING FOR, THANKS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member


Joined: October 20, 2013
Posts: 2585
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
kiwighia68 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?
I'm sure the mathematicians among you will have an answer...Nicholas? :D

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Coincidence is part of the very fabric of the Universe, John. But very few of us are sufficiently aware to take notice.

(Lawyers and authors are distrustful of coincidence, but not this one.)
_________________
Festina lente - hasten slowly
1968 Ghia named Emiko
Resto completed Dec 2015
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

Coincidence is part of the very fabric of the Universe, John. But very few of us are sufficiently aware to take notice.

(Lawyers and authors are distrustful of coincidence, but not this one.)


I also like to think there is some significance that it was I who made the 600th reply and the 100000th visit Chris. Laughing
_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

With a bad neck and back I try not to do too much crawling under the Ghia these days but the crunching sound when engaging reverse got too much for me. Lucky owners have a stout wing-nut on the end of the clutch cable but oh no not me...that's too easy. A 14mm nut and a 10mm lock-nut is what greets me when I want to make a simple few turns to tighten up the free play on the cable.

I choose a showery day to do the quick job so the Ghia stays in the single width garage (the usual size for UK houses built in the '60s). Jack-up one side, remove rear left wheel and place an axle stand under the drive shaft. Jeez I wish I had gimbal-joints on my wrist/elbow/shoulder...this is f****in awkward. Clockwise to tighten, OK. I get out the 14mm ratchet wrench having slackened off the lock-nut and merrily ratchet away. That should do it so I check the free-play on the pedal. Oh for pity sake CLOCKWISE you idiot! So far in this confined space a job that should have taken me 20 minutes has taken over an hour and now it's worse than when I started. <where's the facepalm emoticon> So I turn the ratchet wrench around and tighten the nut. That will have to do...I think it's enough, pushing the pedal with my hand and anyway dinner's on the table.

Today I take it for a test drive. Start up, reverse out of the garage everything seems fine. Just a local 20 mile drive around the country lanes, take a few pictures but the gear change is getting notchy...I try it in reverse and it's grating again. Pedal free-play an inch and a half. Hell it's not my day. At least the weather for the rest of the week is better so I can contort myself under the Ghia without getting rained on. Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Where I live, sometimes the pedestrians just stand in the road and chat among themselves...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member


Joined: June 11, 2008
Posts: 532
Location: El Paso, TX
calexican is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Ah, the old clutch adjustment, awkward indeed...too bad the person who upgraded your transmission didn't upgrade the clutch cable... I did the same thing thinking that the wing nut would fit on the old cable....it doesn't...So now i have the new cable and wing nut ready to install when things get awkward again Wink
As always fun and pretty pictures. Thanks John.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Ah, the old clutch adjustment, awkward indeed...too bad the person who upgraded your transmission didn't upgrade the clutch cable... I did the same thing thinking that the wing nut would fit on the old cable....it doesn't...So now i have the new cable and wing nut ready to install when things get awkward again Wink
As always fun and pretty pictures. Thanks John.


Ah dang, I bought the wing-nut too John. So it won't fit the old cable...never mind the gear-change is quiet again so I won't need to adjust for a while. Laughing

I took the car to visit my mechanic friend to check over a few things this morning...he's a busy man so we're looking at sometime in November for a brake and king-pin overhaul.
_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: August 16, 2019
Posts: 2289
Location: Connecticut
Trylon is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
With a bad neck and back I try not to do too much crawling under the Ghia these days but the crunching sound when engaging reverse got too much for me. Lucky owners have a stout wing-nut on the end of the clutch cable but oh no not me...that's too easy. A 14mm nut and a 10mm lock-nut is what greets me when I want to make a simple few turns to tighten up the free play on the cable.

I choose a showery day to do the quick job so the Ghia stays in the single width garage (the usual size for UK houses built in the '60s). Jack-up one side, remove rear left wheel and place an axle stand under the drive shaft. Jeez I wish I had gimbal-joints on my wrist/elbow/shoulder...this is f****in awkward. Clockwise to tighten, OK. I get out the 14mm ratchet wrench having slackened off the lock-nut and merrily ratchet away. That should do it so I check the free-play on the pedal. Oh for pity sake CLOCKWISE you idiot! So far in this confined space a job that should have taken me 20 minutes has taken over an hour and now it's worse than when I started. <where's the facepalm emoticon> So I turn the ratchet wrench around and tighten the nut. That will have to do...I think it's enough, pushing the pedal with my hand and anyway dinner's on the table.

Today I take it for a test drive. Start up, reverse out of the garage everything seems fine. Just a local 20 mile drive around the country lanes, take a few pictures but the gear change is getting notchy...I try it in reverse and it's grating again. Pedal free-play an inch and a half. Hell it's not my day. At least the weather for the rest of the week is better so I can contort myself under the Ghia without getting rained on. Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Sorry to hear of your troubles, but hard to pity you in your Karmann Ghia Dream World.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

At this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere most Karmann Ghia owners closely watch the weather forecasts for the occasional bright day. Not that we're namby-pamby about not getting our cars wet but for me personally with a black car that shows every dirty smudge like a beacon I'd rather not have to clean it after every outing.
Today looked promising and after a very wet start to the new year, I gave my Ghia a much needed first outing twelve days in, even if it was only a three mile trip to get the Sunday paper. The paper shop in question is in the picturesque market town of Romsey in Hampshire (Old Hampshire).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't live here, just positioned in the archway for the picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Market Square, Romsey.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Oldest pub in town.
_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: August 16, 2019
Posts: 2289
Location: Connecticut
Trylon is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
At this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere most Karmann Ghia owners closely watch the weather forecasts for the occasional bright day. Not that we're namby-pamby about not getting our cars wet but for me personally with a black car that shows every dirty smudge like a beacon I'd rather not have to clean it after every outing.
Today looked promising and after a very wet start to the new year, I gave my Ghia a much needed first outing twelve days in, even if it was only a three mile trip to get the Sunday paper. The paper shop in question is in the picturesque market town of Romsey in Hampshire (Old Hampshire).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't live here, just positioned in the archway for the picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Market Square, Romsey.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Oldest pub in town.


Oh, John! I covet.
_________________
Notice:
Any and all emoticons required to create a tone of friendly bantering should be assumed where necessary.
The Management

1959 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1979 Volkswagen Rabbit
1973 Volkswagen Bus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian
Samba Curmudgeon


Joined: February 16, 2005
Posts: 8494
Location: East coast of Iowa
iowegian is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.

Stopped off to have the Low-Nose's onboard compooter tuned up, eh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.

Stopped off to have the Low-Nose's onboard compooter tuned up, eh?


Yep just a simple 300 pin plug-in for the 1600 item diagnostic report. Apparently my cup holders need adjusting. Shocked
_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member


Joined: July 01, 2005
Posts: 3571
Location: Putting the "ill" and "annoy" in Illinois
KGCoupe is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.

Stopped off to have the Low-Nose's onboard compooter tuned up, eh?


Yep just a simple 300 pin plug-in for the 1600 item diagnostic report. Apparently my cup holders need adjusting. Shocked

Your picturesque country looks just as I imagined it would, right down to the feral Corgi wandering in front of the 15th century pub.

Lovely photos, as usual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist


Joined: June 21, 2005
Posts: 7487
Location: Gainesville and St. Petersburg, Florida
67 Florida Deluxe is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

So where is this movie set?? Seriously, beautiful photos, WOW! Definitely not Florida Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


-Kent
_________________
-Kent
OG member of the '67 Posse
A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member


Joined: February 13, 2005
Posts: 989
Location: Germany
udo dreisoerner is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

your Country is so beautyful...your lowlight too Cool
_________________
Searching for a 1956 lowlight karmann ghia with a VIN number between1273054 and 1273440, and the matching engine with an Engine Number between
1525510 and 1525519 PLEASE OFFER ME ONLY THE CARS THAT I'M LOOKING FOR, THANKS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member


Joined: January 26, 2011
Posts: 617

PeteSC is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Very nice, John. Postcard perfect scenery and a lovely Ghia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: March 07, 2004
Posts: 12820
Location: Southampton U.K.
John Moxon is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind remarks. As I always say the pictures are easy, just find your favourite picturesque location and stick you Ghia in front of it. Make sure the sun is shining and you can't go wrong. Smile
_________________
John.
Judson Supercharger Information on The Samba
My 1958 Karmann Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli


Joined: August 31, 2013
Posts: 10360
Location: North Carolina
TDCTDI is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

When did you pick up that ding in the driver's door?
_________________
Everybody born before 1975 has a story, good, bad, or indifferent, about a VW.


GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 36

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB