Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

The only thing that detracts from your pics is the modern cars surrounding & reflecting in the Ghia.

Can't move all the modern cars out of a busy pub car park Chris...I did ask but it didn't work. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?
I'm sure the mathematicians among you will have an answer...Nicholas? Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
This amused me this morning. My Ghia topic has logged 600 replies and 100000 views...what are the odds of two round figures?
I'm sure the mathematicians among you will have an answer...Nicholas? Very Happy

i think 1958% Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I'm sure the mathematicians among you will have an answer...Nicholas? :D

Coincidence is part of the very fabric of the Universe, John. But very few of us are sufficiently aware to take notice.

(Lawyers and authors are distrustful of coincidence, but not this one.)
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

Coincidence is part of the very fabric of the Universe, John. But very few of us are sufficiently aware to take notice.

(Lawyers and authors are distrustful of coincidence, but not this one.)

I also like to think there is some significance that it was I who made the 600th reply and the 100000th visit Chris. Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

With a bad neck and back I try not to do too much crawling under the Ghia these days but the crunching sound when engaging reverse got too much for me. Lucky owners have a stout wing-nut on the end of the clutch cable but oh no not me...that's too easy. A 14mm nut and a 10mm lock-nut is what greets me when I want to make a simple few turns to tighten up the free play on the cable.

I choose a showery day to do the quick job so the Ghia stays in the single width garage (the usual size for UK houses built in the '60s). Jack-up one side, remove rear left wheel and place an axle stand under the drive shaft. Jeez I wish I had gimbal-joints on my wrist/elbow/shoulder...this is f****in awkward. Clockwise to tighten, OK. I get out the 14mm ratchet wrench having slackened off the lock-nut and merrily ratchet away. That should do it so I check the free-play on the pedal. Oh for pity sake CLOCKWISE you idiot! So far in this confined space a job that should have taken me 20 minutes has taken over an hour and now it's worse than when I started. <where's the facepalm emoticon> So I turn the ratchet wrench around and tighten the nut. That will have to do...I think it's enough, pushing the pedal with my hand and anyway dinner's on the table.

Today I take it for a test drive. Start up, reverse out of the garage everything seems fine. Just a local 20 mile drive around the country lanes, take a few pictures but the gear change is getting notchy...I try it in reverse and it's grating again. Pedal free-play an inch and a half. Hell it's not my day. At least the weather for the rest of the week is better so I can contort myself under the Ghia without getting rained on. Twisted Evil

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Where I live, sometimes the pedestrians just stand in the road and chat among themselves...

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Ah, the old clutch adjustment, awkward indeed...too bad the person who upgraded your transmission didn't upgrade the clutch cable... I did the same thing thinking that the wing nut would fit on the old cable....it doesn't...So now i have the new cable and wing nut ready to install when things get awkward again Wink
As always fun and pretty pictures. Thanks John.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Ah, the old clutch adjustment, awkward indeed...too bad the person who upgraded your transmission didn't upgrade the clutch cable... I did the same thing thinking that the wing nut would fit on the old cable....it doesn't...So now i have the new cable and wing nut ready to install when things get awkward again Wink
As always fun and pretty pictures. Thanks John.

Ah dang, I bought the wing-nut too John. So it won't fit the old cable...never mind the gear-change is quiet again so I won't need to adjust for a while. Laughing

I took the car to visit my mechanic friend to check over a few things this morning...he's a busy man so we're looking at sometime in November for a brake and king-pin overhaul.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
With a bad neck and back I try not to do too much crawling under the Ghia these days but the crunching sound when engaging reverse got too much for me. Lucky owners have a stout wing-nut on the end of the clutch cable but oh no not me...that's too easy. A 14mm nut and a 10mm lock-nut is what greets me when I want to make a simple few turns to tighten up the free play on the cable.

I choose a showery day to do the quick job so the Ghia stays in the single width garage (the usual size for UK houses built in the '60s). Jack-up one side, remove rear left wheel and place an axle stand under the drive shaft. Jeez I wish I had gimbal-joints on my wrist/elbow/shoulder...this is f****in awkward. Clockwise to tighten, OK. I get out the 14mm ratchet wrench having slackened off the lock-nut and merrily ratchet away. That should do it so I check the free-play on the pedal. Oh for pity sake CLOCKWISE you idiot! So far in this confined space a job that should have taken me 20 minutes has taken over an hour and now it's worse than when I started. <where's the facepalm emoticon> So I turn the ratchet wrench around and tighten the nut. That will have to do...I think it's enough, pushing the pedal with my hand and anyway dinner's on the table.

Today I take it for a test drive. Start up, reverse out of the garage everything seems fine. Just a local 20 mile drive around the country lanes, take a few pictures but the gear change is getting notchy...I try it in reverse and it's grating again. Pedal free-play an inch and a half. Hell it's not my day. At least the weather for the rest of the week is better so I can contort myself under the Ghia without getting rained on. Twisted Evil

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but hard to pity you in your Karmann Ghia Dream World.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

At this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere most Karmann Ghia owners closely watch the weather forecasts for the occasional bright day. Not that we're namby-pamby about not getting our cars wet but for me personally with a black car that shows every dirty smudge like a beacon I'd rather not have to clean it after every outing.
Today looked promising and after a very wet start to the new year, I gave my Ghia a much needed first outing twelve days in, even if it was only a three mile trip to get the Sunday paper. The paper shop in question is in the picturesque market town of Romsey in Hampshire (Old Hampshire).

I don't live here, just positioned in the archway for the picture.

The Market Square, Romsey.

The Oldest pub in town.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
At this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere most Karmann Ghia owners closely watch the weather forecasts for the occasional bright day. Not that we're namby-pamby about not getting our cars wet but for me personally with a black car that shows every dirty smudge like a beacon I'd rather not have to clean it after every outing.
Today looked promising and after a very wet start to the new year, I gave my Ghia a much needed first outing twelve days in, even if it was only a three mile trip to get the Sunday paper. The paper shop in question is in the picturesque market town of Romsey in Hampshire (Old Hampshire).

I don't live here, just positioned in the archway for the picture.

The Market Square, Romsey.

The Oldest pub in town.

Oh, John! I covet.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Stopped off to have the Low-Nose's onboard compooter tuned up, eh?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Yep just a simple 300 pin plug-in for the 1600 item diagnostic report. Apparently my cup holders need adjusting. Shocked
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Yep just a simple 300 pin plug-in for the 1600 item diagnostic report. Apparently my cup holders need adjusting. Shocked

Your picturesque country looks just as I imagined it would, right down to the feral Corgi wandering in front of the 15th century pub.

Lovely photos, as usual.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

So where is this movie set?? Seriously, beautiful photos, WOW! Definitely not Florida Shocked

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

your Country is so beautyful...your lowlight too Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Very nice, John. Postcard perfect scenery and a lovely Ghia.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind remarks. As I always say the pictures are easy, just find your favourite picturesque location and stick you Ghia in front of it. Make sure the sun is shining and you can't go wrong. Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

When did you pick up that ding in the driver's door?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 46

Jump to: