Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
When did you pick up that ding in the driver's door?

I didn't, it was already there when I bought it. I imagine it was from a regular passenger (possibly Betty's husband Frank) who habitually didn't shut the door properly and instead of opening it and slamming it shut just leaned on the handle to apply more pressure. Driver's door is perfect.

I know it is easily fixed but I like the perfect imperfection. Razz
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I was talking about what appears to be one almost in the center of the door.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I was talking about what appears to be one almost in the center of the door.

No there is nothing except a reflection. but the passenger door around the handle has a small dent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
When did you pick up that ding in the driver's door?
That car was perfect until you said that. I can’t unseen that Wink
Nicholas
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Blowing out a few cobwebs this morning. Too much wet weather over the last few weeks.
Took the Ghia out to a New Forest pub that has a "Pride and Joy" event every month.

Took the scenic route to the pub.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Blowing out a few cobwebs this morning. Too much wet weather over the last few weeks.
Took the Ghia out to a New Forest pub that has a "Pride and Joy" event every month.

Took the scenic route to the pub.

~Dreamsville~
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Hey John! I’ve always wondered about your stickers, what they are, and if you or Betty or both applied them. Any close ups?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Hey John! I’ve always wondered about your stickers, what they are, and if you or Betty or both applied them. Any close ups?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm a big fan of water-slide decals from places a car has been. Very Happy
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
calexican wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. I'm a big fan of water-slide decals from places a car has been. Very Happy

That's a great question John and Chuck but it will be a long answer because each one has a story or a question attached to it. Some are period water slide decals and some of the modern ones vinyl stickers. It's going to take a while, there are about 15 of them...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
calexican wrote:

That's a great question John and Chuck but it will be a long answer because each one has a story or a question attached to it. Some are period water slide decals and some of the modern ones vinyl stickers. It's going to take a while, there are about 15 of them...

You have anticipated our next request--------pictures of the decals/stickers.
It looks like they were just slipped into your "gallery". Very Happy
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
calexican wrote:

You have anticipated our next request--------pictures of the decals/stickers.
It looks like they were just slipped into your "gallery". Very Happy

I'm just writing the stories behind some of the more interesting ones Chuck. Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

OK, here's the first three...

1. Audubon Society Member water transfer decal.
This is one of Betty's original water transfer decals. I did a quick search and was surprised to find you can still get these from various sources, this being one: https://picclick.com/1960s-Vintage-National-Audubon-Society-Member-Decal-Blue-254349333769.html I won't give Americans a lecture on John James Audubon as I'm sure most are familiar with his definitive bird illustrations. Want one of his original book of illustrations?...one sold a couple of months ago for $6.6m: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2019/the-b...es-audubon

2. Judson Magneto water transfer decal.
I bought a NOS Judson Magneto about 12 years ago. I paid about £80 for it, opened the box and there it all was, pristine Magneto, all the instructions, guarantee card, HT cable and windscreen water decal. The trouble with old water decals is they are fragile, they dry out and it's a bit of a lottery to know whether you will be able to use them. If you look closely at the picture mine made it to the rear window but in several pieces. It's a bit alarming when you soak a rare decal in a shallow dish of water and it starts to float apart in different directions, however if you can get it back on the backing paper you can apply it to the window by sliding the pieces together.
I fitted the Magneto to my Ghia in 2010 and ran it for a couple of years before replacing in with a conventional coil. The Judson Magneto itself has always been the subject of controversy. Some say it was fraudulent but my take on it was it was simply a coil in a smart jacket but back in 2011 a man emailed me after finding my Judson website (The VW Judson Register). His name was Rocco Antonelli and he ran the Judson Supercharger department in the 1960s. I asked him for the background story on the Judson Magneto and this are his words on it...

"What it is, in its last and permanent form is as follows:
Very high output GM ignition coil, wound ,and dipped in sealing wax, and checked for high voltage on an oscilloscope up to 6,000 rpm & 40,000 dc volts. Coils are then placed into a thermo-plastic base, secured by a self tapping screw into the coil wire base. The original design had a small circuit board and a circuit consisting of a real transistor, a zanier diode and some small electronic devises, all of which failed too quickly. Construction: Coil connections were soldered, heat sinks were pressed onto coil bases, epoxy was used to seal the unit. Hot tar was poured into coil and circuit, a rubber gasket and a thermo-plastic cap was screwed on. Then back to the oscilloscope for final testing.
Did it work ?? Was it worth it?
YES, and YES again !! Compared to stock coils, and if you knew what to look for, this simple but effective coil ignition did all that could be done at that time.
Stock coils tend to die off around 5500 rpm, the Judson kept firing strong at 6250 rpm. This was verified on an oscilloscope, a supercharged Corvair, a turbocharged Corvair, a modified Falcon Sprint and a race prepped Falcon Sprint.
The problem with introducing a new performance product is the scrutiny it comes under, does it work ? does it do what it should do ? is it worth the money ?
The finished product retained the transistor, but did not have it wired in, the circuit board was eliminated, the diode was retained and was wired in. In this form it retained its electronic standing, and if you took your car to redline, it kept firing. Did it slam you back in your Recaro ? NO, it's not supposed to. Did it help you win races ? Yes! So, was it worth it?"

So in the early '70s it was called a fraud. Personally I don't think it was. It was an honest attempt initially to produce a reliable high performance coil, using the technology of the day. Unfortunately a small company having spent a large amount of capital having the shells of this smart performance coil made, found the components used couldn't stand the temperatures produced and it broke down very quickly. With all the smart jackets lying around they found the best and most reliable high performance coil available at the time and bought them from GM by the box load...the best solution in what could have been a financial disaster.

3. San Francisco Fire Department - Truck 5 sticker.
The sticker was a present from Scott Doonan, we've been friends for 15 years.Truck 5 is Scott's fire truck and he kindly sent me a couple of Truck 5 "T" shirts and window stickers after I helped him with some NOS parts for his '59 Ghia Convertible. Scott's also the man who went at short notice to check out my KG in Berkeley in 2007. If you don't know Scott check out his amazing 'vert restoration...you'll quickly realise he was the ideal man to check out my Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418455
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

This is great John, I knew there must be some interesting stories behind those stickers, love that picture of the magneto factory too. Thanks for the post, and look forward to some more. Cheers!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
This is great John, I knew there must be some interesting stories behind those stickers, love that picture of the magneto factory too. Thanks for the post, and look forward to some more. Cheers!

Yes people imagine the Judson factory to quite a large concern but they never had more than 12 people employed on Supercharger and Electronics at any one time.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

4. Karmann Ghia Owners Club of Great Britain - current membership sticker.
Self explanitory.

5. Vossenova Burglar Alarm sticker. 5a. Burglar Alarm activation key switch.
My Ghia had this alarm fitted back in the '60s. By the time I took ownership all that remained were the two warning stickers (one on each side) and key activation switch on the back panel near the rear lights.

6. Robin Allen memorial sticker.
Robin was a founder member of our local VW Club. He was a lifelong VW man from his childhood in Germany (his father was in the British Army) until his passing in June 2018. He was very well known to the hobby throughout Europe and always attended the major VW shows across the continent in his beloved '52 Split Window Beetle. You could always spot Robin at shows in Germany, he usually dressed in Lederhosen and Trilby. When I imported my '58 I called him to come and give my Ghia it's official check, (he worked for the government vehicle licensing authority) he gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up and I gave him one of its original license plates for his collection. Robin at Hessisch Oldendorf 2017...

a classy exit...

Robin's '52 at the graveside...

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

7. Karmann Ghia Owners Club of Great Britain.
General membership sticker.

8. 5th International Vintage Volkswagen Festival - Hessisch Oldendorf - June 2009.
Probably the best vintage Volkswagen festival in the world. It takes place every four years in the German market town of Hessisch Oldendorf. In 2009 I drove my Ghia from southern England to Hessisch just 60 miles from its birthplace in Osnabrück.

The centre of the town is closed to all but the registered VWs for the whole weekend...the video was taken by my passenger for the 1000 mile round trip Pete.

Link

The 2017 Show.

Link

Sambanistas 2017: Left to Right: Rinie (56GoldeGhia), Me, Rinie's son, Nicholas (sputnick60), Undis Kanepe (Undis)

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Sambanistas 2017: Left to Right: Rinie (56GoldeGhia), Me, Rinie's son, Nicholas (sputnick60), Undis Kanepe (Undis)

Very interesting to see faces that go with names.
I always imagined that John Moxon would be a MUCH older gentleman. Shocked
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

You're too kind Chuck. Laughing

Do you like my Marvel Mystery Oil "T"?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Absolutely. Marvel Mystery Oil is the best. I learned all things automotive from a stubborn old Norwegian named Ernie Quam, and he believed that MMO was the nectar of the gods. Running rough?-----give it some MMO. Rings stuck?----MMO down the carb until it choked. Add some to the gas tank to keep it running smooooth. Sea-Foam was just snake oil as far as he was concerned.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Absolutely. Marvel Mystery Oil is the best. I learned all things automotive from a stubborn old Norwegian named Ernie Quam, and he believed that MMO was the nectar of the gods. Running rough?-----give it some MMO. Rings stuck?----MMO down the carb until it choked. Add some to the gas tank to keep it running smooooth. Sea-Foam was just snake oil as far as he was concerned.

I won that "T", a quart of MMO and a stack of MMO stickers on the website around 2008. Their "Ts" are as good as their oil, I still wear it and it's still as good as new. As for their oil I use it every oil change 80% mineral 30 weight and 20% MMO. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 46

Jump to: