Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
iowegian wrote:

I always imagined that John Moxon would be a MUCH older gentleman. Shocked

You're too kind Chuck. Laughing

Do you like my Marvel Mystery Oil "T"?

Absolutely. Marvel Mystery Oil is the best. I learned all things automotive from a stubborn old Norwegian named Ernie Quam, and he believed that MMO was the nectar of the gods. Running rough?-----give it some MMO. Rings stuck?----MMO down the carb until it choked. Add some to the gas tank to keep it running smooooth. Sea-Foam was just snake oil as far as he was concerned.

I won that "T", a quart of MMO and a stack of MMO stickers on the website around 2008. Their "Ts" are as good as their oil, I still wear it and it's still as good as new. As for their oil I use it every oil change 80% mineral 30 weight and 20% MMO. Smile

Then dump a splash of Castrol "R" in your petrol tank (for the heavenly "old school" aroma)as upper cylinder lube and you are good to go.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2173094
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

9. The Original Flat 4 Drivers Club sticker.
This is a club started by French VW Vintage Speed fan and professional photographer Rémi Dargegen. Members take part in Vintage Speed events including the Le Mans classic. Rémi is a great motorsport photographer and he regularly contributes features in high end motorsport magazines.
This is one he took of my '58 on the Autobahn to 2009 Hessisch Oldendorf show.

A sample of Remi's magazine style...

10. Hampshire VW Owners Club sticker.
Our local VW club that was started by friend Dave back in 1977. Still going with some of the original ageing founding members. I'm still considered a "Johnny come lately" as I've only been a member for 26 years.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

11. San Francisco Zoo sticker.
One of Betty's original stickers which believe it or not shows two Koala Bears...California's relentless sunlight has faded the image so you can only see it when the sun shines and in England that's not often. Wink

12. Rotary Club of Lymington Classic Car show pass.
This is an all makes car show that takes place in Lymington, Hampshire. It's only 20 miles down the road in a town in which I spent my teenage years. The route to the show takes us through The New Forest National Park so plenty of photo-ops en route. The windscreen pass is in the style of the old UK Road Tax Licence which had to be displayed on every car windscreen until a few years ago.

My '58, Nick's '65 and Jon's '52 Pre A 356 Convertible at the show.

A Karmann Ghia will always draw an appreciative audience.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

13. Le Mans Classic Meeting sticker - July 2008
I've been to the LeMans Classic a couple of times but this windscreen sticker is from our first visit with my Ghia in 2008. If you want to be allowed into the race paddock you have to dress in the style of the age of your car...I even grew a goatee. I quickly removed it on getting home after someone suggested I reminded them of Colonel Sanders. Sad

Our British convoy at our guesthouse.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

14. San Francisco Parking Pass.
Well it's Betty's parking water decal pass but I have no idea if it's for Berkeley or somewhere in San Francisco where she worked for many years.

15. Shorrock Supercharger Badge.
I don't overtly advertise the fact that my Karmann Ghia is unique, (TBH they're all unique) but I don't know of another that is currently running a Shorrock Supercharger. The VW version of the Shorrock C75b (designated C75bv) is rare, no not rare, super super rare, perhaps 100 times rarer than a Judson Supercharger. Having said that I think in the not too distant future there will be another VW Shorrock on a Karmann Ghia so I might have to changer my story to the only Lowlight Karmann Ghia with a VW Shorrock Supercharger. The badge is particularly well positioned in the centre of the decklid where Betty had a large extra brake light. Very practical but not nice to look at so I quickly removed it and filled the hole with a rubber grommet. When I had the Shorrock fitted the badge replaced the grommet.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Finally one of Betty's parking permits.

16. LDS Institutes of Religion Parking Permit.
I'm not sure if Betty is a Mormon but I Googled "LDS Institutes of Religion" and there is a local branch in Berkeley about a quarter of a mile from Betty's home. Maybe she taught an art class at the Institute, I know she taught Watercolour locally.

So there you have it, 16 decals on my Ghia. Betty never added decals of places she visited in her 49 years driving her car but she did tell me she drove it to nearly every National Park on The Pacific Coast.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Leon Redbone had a Ghia? Confused

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Leon Redbone had a Ghia? Confused

Well that's one for the kids Chuck. Laughing
...but I do know who you're talking about. Smile
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

In this clip, Leon is doing his famous "Glenn Ring" impression.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUW0uAwDyw
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

In this clip, Leon is doing his famous "Glenn Ring" impression.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUW0uAwDyw

Yep Glenn is a dead "ringer" Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

My Ghia during lockdown has been languishing in its garage for a couple of months. With the slight easing of the lockdown I thought I'd use the Ghia to run to the local town to get our dog more food...and stop on the way home to take some pictures.

Unfortunately the pubs are closed. Crying or Very sad

and the church open...

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Wow! Such a beautiful car. The choice of background along with that blue sky just really works perfectly together.
The reflections seen on the car's finish is amazing.
Awesome photos.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Wow! Such a beautiful car. The choice of background along with that blue sky just really works perfectly together.
Awesome photos.

I agree! I love this car - it's always presented so well...
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Awesome photos.

Thanks Marc and Diane. Smile

I know you're well aware of the open secret of black Ghia's Diane...how they reflect highlights and blue skies so well. They always take a lively picture which flies in the face of a lot of people who think it's a dull colour for a car. Smile

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Awesome photos.

I know you're well aware of the open secret of black Ghia's Diane...how they reflect highlights and blue skies so well. They always take a lively picture which flies in the face of a lot of people who think it's a dull colour for a car. Smile

There's also some skill involved. You appear to be an experienced photographer.
There is a black and white 62 coupe for sale on BAT Auctions right now. The pictures of this 62 that are taken outdoors
just don't pop like your car's pictures do!
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-karmann-ghia/

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Awesome photos.

There's also some skill involved. You appear to be an experienced photographer.
There is a black and white 62 coupe for sale on BAT Auctions right now. The pictures of this 62 that are taken outdoors
just don't pop like your car's pictures do!
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-karmann-ghia/

Well photography has been a hobby for something like 50 years so you get to know what you like and how to get it. I'm just trying to replicate what the eye sees rather than what the camera presents. I always shoot in camera raw which is the finest setting which disguards nothing the camera sensor records. It makes it easier to replicate what the eye sees. Most people shoot in .jpg which is fine for most people, they accept what the camera gives them. I on the other hand like to take the extra the raw file gives to make what I think I saw when I took the picture. Smile
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Awesome photos.

We are significantly less gifted at our photographic talents, John - an additional hurdle being trying to disguise the bonk in its nose. One of these days we will have to get that repaired....

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Well you're hidden that bonk very well...I've known and admired your Montage Swisse Ghia for a long time and never realised that. You underestimate your photographic skills Diane. Very Happy
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Well you're hidden that bonk very well...I've known and admired your Montage Swisse Ghia for a long time and never realised that. You underestimate your photographic skills Diane. Very Happy

LOL - I am not sure I even took that picture, John, but thanks! To be fair we bought it, bonk and all- supposedly the teenage grandkids of the original owner wanted a BMW and not a VW so in the limited amount of time they were allowed to drive it they abused it. Fortunately their father decided to sell it before it deteriorated more. So, it's got the nose bonk and a small dent in one of the rear quarters. I've wondered whether a good dent specialist could get them out without messing up the paint but never took it further. One of these days.....
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Out onto The New Forest National Park to meet fellow Sambanista Sinclair to have a chat about his '56.

Took a few pictures on the way...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 46

Jump to: