Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Can't resist a black and white version. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Just a short trip out around the local back roads to warm up the engine before an oil change. Four Imperial pints of 30 weight and a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil. Smile
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Ahhh, thanks for that John!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Great photos!

Funny story.

Back about 10 years ago when my daughter was young she asked me when the world became color and stopped being B&W!

She thought the world at one time had been only B&W.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

Back about 10 years ago when my daughter was young she asked me when the world became color and stopped being B&W!

She thought the world at one time had been only B&W.

Yeah I kind of subscribe to that impression too. I find it hard to recall my childhood in the 1950s in colour. It was a time of B&W TV and of course all movies shown on TV were black and white. Even the family photo albums were the same.

When I started taking pictures as a kid it didn't occur to me I could take colour pictures on my Kodak Brownie. Then I got into photography as an adult and although colour slides were easy I found an instinctive affinity for B&W.

However when I got into the history of photography I was surprised to find colour photography didn't begin in the 1930s with Kodachrome. There was a colour process as early as 1907; Autochrome cast a new light on photography and the results were beautiful...
https://petapixel.com/2015/04/26/these-1913-autoch...otography/

I still love B&W though. Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Taking my lead from Michael (Trylon) who simply has to spend on his Lowlight or whither away I thought it time to get my original set of 5 Lemmerz Beauty Rings restored. They've been sitting unused in my garage since they were replaced by a set of decent reproductions back in 2008.

Four of them have small dents and the odd scrape but the last on the right has a couple of nasty dents.

All have matching 1/58 date stamps and came from the factory with my April 1958 Coupe.

I've found a local a local metal finisher with a decent reputation and I'm taking them to him on Monday to see what he thinks. My suspicion is he'll see them as easy money. Wink
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I would be interested to know the whole process for restoring stainless parts like this. I know the basics, but details and pictures would be very interesting.
Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Stainless steel might be easier than you think. While working at the Columbia County performing arts Center I saw some masterfull stainless steel welders building stair rails. They were joining two pieces of tubing together and you could not even tell.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they're SS, more like polished or anodised aluminium.

Edit: Just remembered I asked about restoring them in the Accessory Forum a number of years ago (2013 actually) and got some good responses: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547675

RockSotock remembered this Hot VWs feature:

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Taking my lead from Michael (Trylon) who simply has to spend on his Lowlight or whither away

"Critics! Those cut-throat bandits in the paths of fame."
-Robert Burns
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Taking my lead from Michael (Trylon) who simply has to spend on his Lowlight or whither away

-Robert Burns

"Truth wears Plaid Pants...not to everyone's taste."
- John Moxon Wink
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

-Robert Burns

- John Moxon Wink

“Bon mots are always better with correct spelling.”

-Anon
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

-Robert Burns

- John Moxon Wink

-Anon

To "l" with the sticky Laptop key...corrected because I can. Laughing
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

-Robert Burns

- John Moxon Wink

-Anon

To "l" with the sticky Laptop key...corrected because I can. Laughing

Oh, I knew you were going to go that route!
All kidding aside, I have to admit that I do enjoy all the luxury extras— like rust removal.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Last week for the first time in 14 years of ownership the Ghia decided it didn't want to go where I wanted it to go. Just a short trip to the local town but as soon as pulling out onto the main road a quarter mile into the journey "Betty's Baby"decided she wasn't going any further. She had negotiated the first couple of side streets normally but when I pulled out and accelerated away on the main road she fell flat on her face.

First thought was out of fuel but she hadn't even given me enough time to throw the reserve lever. Opened the tank and still more than enough fuel but even so I turned the lever to make sure the pathway was clear. Turned the key and up she started again. Hmmm, drove a couple hundred yards and she cut again. I got home in two more stages with a minute in between stops.

Now if I were running a Solex I'd quickly whip the top off and check the needle valve, blow it through, put it together to see if that had cleared it but I don't have a Solex. I have a Shorrock Supercharger fed by a Zenith Stromberg CD150 Carb, a different beast altogether. I've never had the thing apart. They are very stable and reliable carbs, very little attention needed so I begin to overthink this problem. All sorts of possible problems with the most obvious taking a back seat.

Sanity finally returns and I get on the internet and find a service kit for the carb. It arrived a day later and the Needle Valve to the float chamber quickly replaced. Vroom we're up and running again. Took it on an 8 mile local trip and no further misbehavior. Laughing

Today is Spring Cleaning day. I have Luis Jimenez's beautiful full mat set but have been using my old carpet front floor mats to save the pristine Jimenez front floor mats. This is stupid I thought...the dryer weather is here so let them wear naturally. I don't drive a show car, I'm supposed to be enjoying this so Luis's mats are back in until the winter. Smile

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Sounds like "Betty's Baby" wanted your attention. Smile

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

nice job John, I do enjoy stripping/cleaning carbs-it can be very therapeutic Smile

When i started up my 59 this year after its winter slumber, I had a panic attack when i heard a previously unheard knock knock knocking........and went into full mental prep to remove and rebuild my engine before i realised my door wasnt shut, but the latch was resting on the striker just right to vibrate and "knock" in perfec time to the engine cranking....

door fully closed and the noise all gone. And yeah, i opened the door and let it rest on the striker once more to confirm the noise came back Embarassed

I hope i get a chance to see your car in person one day, it is lovely.
2003 911
www.hertfordshirevehiclestorage.com
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

itsawesty wrote:
nice job John, I do enjoy stripping/cleaning carbs-it can be very therapeutic Smile

When i started up my 59 this year after its winter slumber, I had a panic attack when i heard a previously unheard knock knock knocking........and went into full mental prep to remove and rebuild my engine before i realised my door wasnt shut, but the latch was resting on the striker just right to vibrate and "knock" in perfect time to the engine cranking....

door fully closed and the noise all gone. And yeah, i opened the door and let it rest on the striker once more to confirm the noise came back Embarassed

I hope i get a chance to see your car in person one day, it is lovely.

I tend to panic myself when faced with an unexpected failure. Mostly the thought of standing by the side of the road with an old car with the engine lid up. Just like the old days before I could afford a reliable car and the means to have one fixed if it went wrong.

I used to have to do it myself when I was young like most of us but even then my record was tinged with humiliation, i.e. having an Austin A40 towed to a main dealer when I failed to remove two fulcrum pins to replace kingpins. Embarassed I was never cut out to be a mechanic.

I still like taking things apart if they're a spare part...that means there's not a limited timescale to put it back together. I'm the type who always finds two mystery parts left over after I've put it all back together. Laughing

Yep "Betty's Baby" shows well but I always worry people will be disappointed when they see her in real life. She's a survivor, lots of wrong bits for a '58, lots of subtle patina but an interesting character who is here because she's been loved all her life.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

hi john. good news that your low is running now...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 46

Jump to: